This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jankdc View Post
    I saw that, but it was written in 2003. My jackets from this decade are measuring 2" different from the tagged size rather than 4“.
    Vanity sizing varies from brand to brand, a jcrew 40 isn’t the same as a brooks brothers 40, so subtracting 4” across the board doesn’t work as well as just measuring properly.

Comment

Hi

Looking for a pair of green dress trousers, couple of green dress shirts and perhaps a green blazer (Love the Bonobos italian Wool Blazer, I got in deep Blue and will go for the Red soon waiting for a serious sale )
      Waiting for suggestions. I don't mind splurging once in awhile but prefer the best bang-for-the-bucks type of suggestions.
      Oh! I live in a tropical climate so ... lightweight or year-round wool, linen or cotton

Comment

[MENTION=14777]jankdc[/MENTION] don't worry about the tagged size, nor doing any arithmetic. Simply try to figure out what measurements work best for you as a starting point. For me, I usually wear a 41R or 42R. My actual chest size is just under 41", and I look for jackets measuring 22" across pit-to-pit (44 total) as my anchor/starting point. But also know your needed shoulder-to-shoulder measurement as that equally if not more important than the pit-to-pit measurement.

The rule of thumb is: For a slim fit, you need at least 2.5" extra fabric at the chest and 3" around your waist. For a more traditional fit, 3" extra at the chest and 3.5" at the waist. For example if you have a 38 chest, you would want at a minimum the jacket chest to be 41".

Hope this helps.
        Matt Dalton

Comment

Hi all, first post here.
          So I'm taking my wife to see one of our favourite bands from when we first started seeing eachother. It's a folk rock band in a small venue (a bar). The date will just be watching the show - nothing else booked. I'm pretty casual in general, but own most items typically discussed on Dappered.com.
          My go-to outfit for nights out is usually OCBD or plaid with dark jeans and chukas or Blundstones, maybe a blazer or sport coat. Also of note, we're in Canada and there is a foot of snow on the ground, it's cold outside! I'm 43 if that matters. What should I wear? Appreciate any and all feedback!

Comment

Is the contrast between the Walnut Dalton and the dark jeans too much? Would a darker boot have been a better choice?

Note the lighting in the second pic is a little darker because I was shooting closer to the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
              Is the contrast between the Walnut Dalton and the dark jeans too much? Would a darker boot have been a better choice?

Note the lighting in the second pic is a little darker because I was shooting closer to the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Looks good to me, the contrast is fine imo. I also like how the stitching on the jeans matches the walnut color.
              Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Walnut shoes with dark denim is fine as long as you are wearing something lighter colored on top. It looks weird to me when the whole outfit is uniformly dark except for high contrast shoes.
                Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                  Walnut shoes with dark denim is fine as long as you are wearing something lighter colored on top. It looks weird to me when the whole outfit is uniformly dark except for high contrast shoes.
                  same

Comment

Thanks Gents.
                    [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] went with a white sweater up top. Hopefully that'll be light enough

Comment

Originally posted by MareKobe View Post
                      Hi all, first post here.
                      So I'm taking my wife to see one of our favourite bands from when we first started seeing eachother. It's a folk rock band in a small venue (a bar). The date will just be watching the show - nothing else booked. I'm pretty casual in general, but own most items typically discussed on Dappered.com.
                      My go-to outfit for nights out is usually OCBD or plaid with dark jeans and chukas or Blundstones, maybe a blazer or sport coat. Also of note, we're in Canada and there is a foot of snow on the ground, it's cold outside! I'm 43 if that matters. What should I wear? Appreciate any and all feedback!
                      I think this should be posted in the main forum.

[and an aside, not directed at MareKobe at all, but this is why I hate this thread. When I do occasionally read it - mainly when I'm bored with the slow turnover on the main forum - I don't see much difference between the questions posted here and 60% of the independent posts. and answers and questions get mixed up and put on different pages. I just don't get it. Rant over.]

Comment

Can I wear these boots with a suit?: https://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/JCP...4201517004591M

Comment

Originally posted by elduderino260 View Post
                          Can I wear these boots with a suit?: https://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/JCP...4201517004591M
                          Those are Stafford Gunners, you can wear em with a suit, depending on the suit or slacks. I wouldn't wear them to anything formal, such as a wedding or funeral. I personally am not a fan of boots and suits, but some pull it off.

Comment

I'm trying to decide between the following two Red Wing Heritage boots, the Iron Ranger 8085 and the Blacksmith 3343. Same last, same sole, same Copper Rough & Tough leather.

I already have a pair of the IRs in Hawthorne Muleskinner roughout leather and a pair of Alden 403s. This boot will replace my Wolverine 1000 Mile McClean (brown Cxl captoe).

Thoughts?

-Vic
                            "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

Originally posted by Vic View Post
                              I'm trying to decide between the following two Red Wing Heritage boots, the Iron Ranger 8085 and the Blacksmith 3343. Same last, same sole, same Copper Rough & Tough leather.

I already have a pair of the IRs in Hawthorne Muleskinner roughout leather and a pair of Alden 403s. This boot will replace my Wolverine 1000 Mile McClean (brown Cxl captoe).

Thoughts?

-Vic
                              My thoughts, the Blacksmith is a bit taller, and doesn't have the cap toe. If you need the extra height, and don't need a cap toe, it would be something different in your wardrobe. The Iron Ranger is named after a part of Minnesota which I once called home, so it is my sentimental favorite. You can't go wrong with an area that gave the world Bob Dylan, The Greyhound Bus, Robert Mondavi, Kevin McHale, Vincent Bugliosi, Roger Maris, Judy Garland, The Carlson Brothers AKA the Hansen Brothers in Slap Shot, Chris Pratt, and more Olympic and NHL Hockey players than you can shake a goalie stick at.

So, the Iron Ranger, obviously.

Comment

Moleskin blazer - I'm having trouble determine level of formality. What type of pants can I pair with it? Are wool trousers acceptable? Chinos? denim?

Comment

Working...
                                X