Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When a black tie is paired with a navy suit and a white shirt, are black shoes the only option for footwear? Can any other shoe colour be pulled off or not? In my mind I think maybe but I'm wondering what others think.
    Last edited by Amesbury; October 31, 2017, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amesbury View Post
      When a black tie is paired with a navy suit and a white shirt, are black shoes the only option for footwear? Can any other shoe colour be pulled off or not? In my mind I think maybe but I'm wondering what others think.
      That ensemble is very formal (often worn by the President of France) and pretty much demands black oxfords.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
        That ensemble is very formal (often worn by the President of France) and pretty much demands black oxfords.

In my mind black oxfords seem like the obvious natural fit. My situation is that I only have a navy suit and not many ties; a black being one of them. I'd like to wear them together to an upcoming work christmas party but I don't have black oxfords or any black shoes for that matter. Maybe I should just find another tie that can go with one of my several pairs of non-black shoes.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Amesbury View Post
          In my mind black oxfords seem like the obvious natural fit. My situation is that I only have a navy suit and not many ties; a black being one of them. I'd like to wear them together to an upcoming work christmas party but I don't have black oxfords or any black shoes for that matter. Maybe I should just find another tie that can go with one of my several pairs of non-black shoes.

That's an easier and less expensive solution. Most any other color would work apart from grey or sliver.

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
            That's an easier and less expensive solution. Most any other color would work apart from grey or sliver.

Thank you very much sir.

Comment

Any opinions on the Axeford Plain Toe boot available at Nordstrom? This is there in-house line (similar to the 1901). My preference would be anything from AE, but those are way above my budget. I am reluctant trying out AE seconds, as I am located in Canada and do not want to buy seconds without actually seeing those in person. Wondering if this is an alternative worth the price.

Comment

Ask a quick question, get an answer

Speaking of boots, would you guys wear Allen Edmonds Dundee’s with a suit? I’m thinking of pulling the trigger and that extra utility would make it much easier to add a color that I want. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by nikhilsrl View Post
                  Any opinions on the Axeford Plain Toe boot available at Nordstrom? This is there in-house line (similar to the 1901). My preference would be anything from AE, but those are way above my budget. I am reluctant trying out AE seconds, as I am located in Canada and do not want to buy seconds without actually seeing those in person. Wondering if this is an alternative worth the price.
                  I'd strongly encourage you to check out AE seconds from the Shoebank, and the Higgins Mill boot in particular (currently $199 in what seems to be a lot of sizes/widths). I have bought maybe 10 pairs of shoes and boots from the Shoebank (including two pairs of Higgins Mills), and I have yet to see a pair where I could tell why they were seconds. The quality in general seems to be extremely high.

Also, I've sent back a couple of Shoebank pairs that didn't fit quite right, and out of maybe three returns I've never been asked to pay return shipping, and only have been asked to pay the $10 restocking fee once. Of course your mileage may vary there.

But overall, if you know your AE size pretty well, I think the risk with Shoebank purchases is quite low.

Comment

I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots that need to be resoled (McClean captoe boots, purchased in July 2014 from Nordstrom for the sum of $229.90 before tax). Should I have them resoled with rubber soles (Dainite, Itshide commando, etc.) or should I just put that towards a pair of AE or RW boots with rubber soles? There is no emotion value associated with these boots.

-Vic
                    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

Originally posted by ELNJ View Post
                      I'd strongly encourage you to check out AE seconds from the Shoebank, and the Higgins Mill boot in particular (currently $199 in what seems to be a lot of sizes/widths). I have bought maybe 10 pairs of shoes and boots from the Shoebank (including two pairs of Higgins Mills), and I have yet to see a pair where I could tell why they were seconds. The quality in general seems to be extremely high.

Also, I've sent back a couple of Shoebank pairs that didn't fit quite right, and out of maybe three returns I've never been asked to pay return shipping, and only have been asked to pay the $10 restocking fee once. Of course your mileage may vary there.

But overall, if you know your AE size pretty well, I think the risk with Shoebank purchases is quite low.
                      Thank you. I will try that route.

Comment

QUESTION: I will be traveling (plane and uber) for an open house for an executive MBA at University Chicago. What should I wear? Since there are no formal interviews or banquets, I'm ruling out a suit. Since it's cold in the city (40 degree for a high), I'm thinking two options.

Option 1 - Top coat, dress shirt, chinos and dress boot
                        Option 2 - blazer, v neck sweater, dress shirt, chinos and dress boot

thanks for your recommendations.

Comment

Should a jacket's measurement be pit to pit, doubled and then subtracting 4" or 2"?

Comment

Originally posted by jankdc View Post
                            Should a jacket's measurement be pit to pit, doubled and then subtracting 4" or 2"?
                            When I did grad interviews (albeit for PhD rather than MBA, so maybe less formal), I wore a hybrid of your two options: topcoat, V neck sweater, dress shirt, and chinos. That was pretty solidly in the middle of what I saw, formality-wise. But I think either of your options sound good. If going the blazer route, though, I would say a less-formal one (either in fabric or construction) would be ideal if you have options.

Comment

Originally posted by jankdc View Post
                              https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...sure-a-jacket/

Comment

I saw that, but it was written in 2003. My jackets from this decade are measuring 2" different from the tagged size rather than 4“.

Comment

Working...
                                X