This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iviustang50h View Post
    If you look on Amazon, that's the weight they list for a pair of Park Avenues (4 lbs shipped). The courier does round up but will re-weigh it anyway as soon as it's scanned, so...
    i don't doubt that's the shipping weight listed or that they re-weight as a bulk seller to be careful...but that doesn't help me when I'm just buying a shipping label to ship for ebay, since there's a big price difference between 2 and 4 pounds. It'll just cost me more money and i don't get to reweigh. I need to be as accurate as possible when purchasing a label w.o going over.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeff4 View Post
      Hey all. I'm in need of a or a couple of new suits. It's been a while since I've been on here, so I figured there may be some new thoughts or developments. I was thinking about going the way of J. Crew Thompson, though I've bought a few second hand blazers off of ebay, and I seem to be in between a 40 and a 42. They do look to offer a 41R now, but are completely out of stock. I may check to see when those will be back in stock.

But, I wonder if I should instead look at purchasing the $399 Suitsupply suits? Are those a major step up in quality?

Are there any other recommendations? I live in Sioux Falls, SD, so I don't have much access to stores to allow me to try on in person.
      SuitSupply is great quality but I have a problem with their pants. I love their sport coats but am not too happy with my 2 suits. The pants, even on the Napoli which is their most generous fit, have a narrow lower leg which makes them static cling a ton to my socks.

As for JCF, I wouldn't think the difference between 40 and 42 would be too much of an issue. I am in the same boat where a 41R is perfect in most cases but a lot of places do not carry them.

Spier and Mackay offers free returns on your first suit or sport coat so I would try to dial in a fit and try a suit from them and SuitSupply. Currently you can try S&M for roughly $300, SuitSupply for $400, and also compare those then to JCF. Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scofield View Post
        i don't doubt that's the shipping weight listed or that they re-weight as a bulk seller to be careful...but that doesn't help me when I'm just buying a shipping label to ship for ebay, since there's a big price difference between 2 and 4 pounds. It'll just cost me more money and i don't get to reweigh. I need to be as accurate as possible when purchasing a label w.o going over.
        I just sold 2 pairs of AEs on ebay within the last month. For both I used the pre-populated weight that was assigned to the box size by USPS. The first pair they shipped no questions asked. The second pair they weighed and told me I was a little under on my estimate but they would ship it anyway. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd use the low estimate from ebay or USPS and see what happens. If you want to be conservative use a weight around 3-3.5 lbs.

Comment

• For anyone curious, I ended up just taking the box to a mailing center, getting it weighed then bought a shipping label online. For 2 pairs of shoes, a belt, watchstrap and 1 tube of shoe polish, it came out to 5 pounds 3 oz.

Comment

• casual shoes for european vacation

Hi all- heading to England and Spain in July and looking for recommendations for some good, casual shoes that can handle a lot of good walking. I know there's a big push towards white canvas sneakers, but I'm hesitant re: keeping them clean. Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by listopisto86 View Post
              Hi all- heading to England and Spain in July and looking for recommendations for some good, casual shoes that can handle a lot of good walking. I know there's a big push towards white canvas sneakers, but I'm hesitant re: keeping them clean. Any other recommendations? Thanks!
              White leather sneakers are easier to keep clean. Joe put the Adidas stan smiths in today's 10 best bets under $75. The also make some with he Boost sole (more $) but I'm not familiar with those and don't know how dirty the sole might get on the sides. Have fun on your trip!

Comment

• Originally posted by listopisto86 View Post
                I agree with the earlier comment about the Stan Smiths. I have a pair and they are definitely my favourite summer shoe for walking. Very comfortable. Mind you I'm not super anal about keeping them pristine white either. I mean I won't wear them running through grass fields or anything, but at the same time I'm not obsessive about avoiding possible situations where they might get a little dirty.

Comment

• Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  I agree with the earlier comment about the Stan Smiths. I have a pair and they are definitely my favourite summer shoe for walking. Very comfortable. Mind you I'm not super anal about keeping them pristine white either. I mean I won't wear them running through grass fields or anything, but at the same time I'm not obsessive about avoiding possible situations where they might get a little dirty.
                  Thanks [MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13722]Alex.C[/MENTION]. I appreciate it.

Comment

• I have been eyeing this BR Olive Green Blazer for sometime now but at around $300 I easily passed. Now I am thinking about it with BR running a "50% off sale items" sale meaning this would come in sub $100. Much more doable.

Question: What would you wear with this? Both professionally and casually? BTW, I will not be purchasing the pants.

I already have in mind navy dress pants and a solid shirt but I'm hoping to hear more options as I am stuck there.

I am big fan of interchangeability regarding my clothing choices.

Thanks in advance.
                    Last edited by Heafcliffe; June 23rd, 2017, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• So I wear AE Park Ave's 9D...want to buy some AE Liverpooles, which size should I get for a 'proper' Chelsea fit (snug)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Heafcliffe View Post
                        I have been eyeing this BR Olive Green Blazer for sometime now but at around $300 I easily passed. Now I am thinking about it with BR running a "50% off sale items" sale meaning this would come in sub $100. Much more doable.

Question: What would you wear with this? Both professionally and casually? BTW, I will not be purchasing the pants.

I already have in mind navy dress pants and a solid shirt but I'm hoping to hear more options as I am stuck there.

I am big fan of interchangeability regarding my clothing choices.

Thanks in advance.
                        Gray and tan trousers should work well too.
                        Check this out: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/j...ations.317329/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by BestCoast View Post
                          Gray and tan trousers should work well too.
                          Check this out: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/j...ations.317329/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Hey thx! Never really thought of tan as an option. Didn't want to look too banana republic-ky....

Comment

• Does anyone know what is better quality? A pair of Clark's desert boots or the Nordstrom Barrett chukka? I could get either for around the same price...

https://www.clarksusa.com/us/origina...ede/p/26107879

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/1901-bar...ot-men/4331831

Comment

• [MENTION=16378]Arête[/MENTION] Pretty similar quality. I've owned both. Wore out a pair of Clark's and replaced them with the Barret.

Clark's desert boot: overall more casual, unlined but thicker suede, stitch down construction, crepe sole, very comfortable after I broke them in a little.

Nordstrom Barret: overall leans more formal than Clark's, but still works with jeans and a button down shirt, thinner suede that is fully leather lined, cemented construction, rubber sole that mimics Dainite, less cushion in the sole and less comfortable especially if I'm walking a lot.

You probably can replace the soles on both of these, but you're probably better off just buying a new pair of shoes at that point.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrKenShu View Post
                                So I wear AE Park Ave's 9D...want to buy some AE Liverpooles, which size should I get for a 'proper' Chelsea fit (snug)?
                                A little old but I would get your Park Ave size.

Comment

Working...
                                X