This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
    If this was a pair of 2nds, I would not be concerned but if they are first quality, I would ask for another pair. The stitching should not interfere with any holes.
    Thanks for the reply. They are seconds that I bought in person up in the Port Washington store. I took them to a retail store just so the manager could take a look at them to see if they were worth keeping. According to him, they are one of the best seconds he has seen. Good leather and finish. I just noticed this small detail last night. I could buy a first quality pair for $70 more, but I don't think it's worth the extra expense especially after what he said. He could've easily sold me a new pair that day.

Comment

Originally posted by MMM.PWR View Post
      Thanks for the reply. They are seconds that I bought in person up in the Port Washington store. I took them to a retail store just so the manager could take a look at them to see if they were worth keeping. According to him, they are one of the best seconds he has seen. Good leather and finish. I just noticed this small detail last night. I could buy a first quality pair for $70 more, but I don't think it's worth the extra expense especially after what he said. He could've easily sold me a new pair that day.
      Yea there are more glaring issues with some 2nds so it sounds like you won the gamble. Sometimes cap toes are not equal or crooked. Sometimes the eyelets are offset so the laces look odd for bar lacing. The worst though is either gashes in the leather or color problems. The 2 are generally deal breakers.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
        Yea there are more glaring issues with some 2nds so it sounds like you won the gamble. Sometimes cap toes are not equal or crooked. Sometimes the eyelets are offset so the laces look odd for bar lacing. The worst though is either gashes in the leather or color problems. The 2 are generally deal breakers.

Here is one picture of them. It's the left shoe (on the right side)

Comment

First post, long time off-and-on reader. Thought I would post here instead of a new thread so not to piss off certain users.

I am going to a top 25 law school in the fall. I have taught public school for 15 years. My current clothes and shoes are a wreck, mostly stuff that needs to be donated to a thrift store from years of abuse. Therefore, I need to purchase 80% of the clothes I will be wearing, and purchasing it on an extreme budget. I thought the best help I would get would come from here. In my head I have developed a priority list, and wanted some confirmation of what I have chosen or some other ideas on what I should be thinking. $1,400ish budget, planning on shopping this Saturday. Listed in order of priority:

navy blue suit - maybe Suitsupply in Atlanta
          white and light blue dress shirt - perhaps Norstrom's house brand
          brown dress shoes of some kind - I am thinking Johnston and Murphy Outlet, I can get buy 3 get one free. I have no idea of what to look for in models, and its probably here that I need the most help
          denim - a few pair of Levis
          khakis - 1 pair of dockers alpha, I have one in tan already, will probably go identical

The jeans and khakis would cover every day pants for classes
          I will need shirts for every day where (I want to stay away from tees) and I really have no idea what or where

Perhaps a standard classic blazer, but this might can wait since I have a few other sports coats that I could make do for now

Please, begging for some help. Need good pieces at a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by Altajax View Post
            My brother has set an Off-White Dress code for his wedding this summer. Any suggestions for suits or blazers (off white blazer with white pants is ok)? I am slim 38R or M in most brands. Preferably not something too pricey since I dont expect to wear it a ton.
            Would this JCF Thomson suit work? JCF usually does a store wide 50% off sale over Memorial Day weekend. That would bring the price down some.

https://factory.jcrew.com/p/mens-clo...x-cotton/E7412

Comment

Morning informal wedding attire advice (I'm a guest):

Marine blue linen cotton suit
              Light blue chambray dress shirt
              Dark navy knit tie

Too much blue?

Also what pocket square?

Comment

Originally posted by josiahv View Post
                Morning informal wedding attire advice (I'm a guest):

Marine blue linen cotton suit
                Light blue chambray dress shirt
                Dark navy knit tie

Too much blue?

Also what pocket square?
                Sounds like a lot of blue. Maybe throw some brown in there, like a brown knit tie with a white square w/ brown tips?

Comment

Originally posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
                  Sounds like a lot of blue. Maybe throw some brown in there, like a brown knit tie with a white square w/ brown tips?
                  Thanks for the advice. My brown tie was too light, so I ended up just going with it. I feel like the texture made up for it being so monochromatic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by josiahv View Post
                    Thanks for the advice. My brown tie was too light, so I ended up just going with it. I feel like the texture made up for it being so monochromatic.

Digging the lapel flower! Makes up for the lack of a square IMO and the texture along with the darkness of that tie definitely helps it stand out. Nice work!

Comment

Digging the lapel flower! Makes up for the lack of a square IMO and the texture along with the darkness of that tie definitely helps it stand out. Nice work!
                      Thanks! A friend of mine made it. Lapel ornaments are not typical for me, but your brown advice sealed the deal!

Comment

Yeah, I agree. You don't want too much stuff on/in your jacket. A pocked square AND lapel pin is too much IMHO.

Comment

So I've been looking around to add to my shoe/boot collection. I currently have:
                          Black Park Avenues 9D
                          Dark Brown McAllister's 9D
                          Blue suede chukkas from Thursday Boot Co size 8
                          Dark Brown Captain 6" boots from Thursday Boot size 9
                          PF Flyers size 9
                          Brannock size: 9D

I think my next purchase will be either a Chelsea boot or a loafer, and I'm leaning towards a boot as I prefer the style more. My eyes are on the AE Liverpool in tan, the TBC Duke in brown, or a Carmina black chelsea I found on Grailed in size 9 (Rain last). My question is, of these 3, which would be the best bet when compared to my other shoes and would the Carmina chelsea even fit based on my other shoe sizes?
                          EDIT: I'm all ears if you have a better recommendation for me!
                          Last edited by DrKenShu; May 31, 2017, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrKenShu View Post
                            So I've been looking around to add to my shoe/boot collection. I currently have:
                            Black Park Avenues 9D
                            PF Flyers size 9

I think my next purchase will be either a Chelsea boot or a loafer, and I'm leaning towards a boot as I prefer the style more. My eyes are on the AE Liverpool in tan, the TBC Duke in brown, or a Carmina black chelsea I found on Grailed in size 9 (Rain last). My question is, of these 3, which would be the best bet when compared to my other shoes and would the Carmina chelsea even fit based on my other shoe sizes?
                            I'd go with a Chelsea boot, although a loafer (especially in suede) will get much more use over the next few months. Carminas are listed in UK sizes, which are generally 1 smaller than US size (9UK = 10US), so the 9 UK Rain would not fit you. The Duke in brown looks nice.
                            Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Black Park Avenues 9D
                              PF Flyers size 9

I would go loafer, especially if you live in a warmer climate. I'd also pick up a pair of brogues (Strand or Cornwallis) before another boot, but YMMV.

How do you like the Thursday Boot company offerings? I've been eyeing the Captains. I've read mixed reviews on the company, but at that price point it's super tempting.

Comment

Black Park Avenues 9D
                                PF Flyers size 9

Those Carmina Chelsea's look like they would fit since the seller says UK8 which is right at a 9D US. It really depends on what you wear as I wear boots year round and had some Cehlsea's on last week. With the Dainite sole on the grailed pair, they should last quite a while! The last looks a lot better than the Liverpool too.

Comment

Working...
                                X