This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattdalton View Post
    Measurements only tell part of the story, of course. I have both a Spier & Mackay and SS Napoli in 42R. The SS is a little roomier, so my guess is that you would probably want a 42R in Spier & Mackay. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It does, thank you. I've also reached out to Rick to figure things out. He's a good guy.

Comment

Originally posted by ncf05 View Post
      thoughts on these shoes? versatile enough to be worth buying? i like them, but idk what theyd go with

http://imgur.com/a/8GSSZ
      I'd be worried about getting them wet. But I could see wearing them with navy blue chinos, maybe a pair of dark jeans.

Comment

A suede blazer from Banana Republic that looks almost like the one below is at the local goodwill for $1. It is in great condition, looks a little more aged than this example, but in a good way. It is also pretty heavy and drapes well, fits perfect. Its got the 3 buttons. Its not something I normally would ever purchase, for for $1 I'm considering it. The issue isn't the cost, it is the closet space. Although I wouldn't wear it too often, it seems like it could be a fun piece for certain, more rugged occasions where I also need to dress up a tad. Any clue on how you would wear it? Or if its even worth the space?

Comment

For $1? At that price, buy it and figure it out later. You can always re-donate it.
          Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
          Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
          --Jason Isbell

Comment

I have a Tag Heuer Monaco watch that I bought well over 10 years ago. I have never had the watch serviced. The watch keeps good time and has no issues. Should I bring it in for servicing, or wait until something goes wrong?

Note the watch is not a daily wearer. Might make my wrist once every 10 works days.

Comment

There are varying philosophies on this, but IMO preventive maintenance will help to extend the life of the watch, and will also be cheaper than repairs for actual damage that might occur later down the road. Just make sure you send it in to a reputable, trusted watchmaker.
              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                There are varying philosophies on this, but IMO preventive maintenance will help to extend the life of the watch, and will also be cheaper than repairs for actual damage that might occur later down the road. Just make sure you send it in to a reputable, trusted watchmaker.
                I'm a fan of nice watches, but not particularly knowledgeable about them. What sort of maintenance does a watch need? Also, I assume that this advice applies mainly to mechanical/automatic watches and isn't as applicable to quartz watches?

Comment

Originally posted by TMann View Post
                  I'm a fan of nice watches, but not particularly knowledgeable about them. What sort of maintenance does a watch need? Also, I assume that this advice applies mainly to mechanical/automatic watches and isn't as applicable to quartz watches?
                  Mechanical watches rely on a bunch of tiny little gears and springs and other machinery to keep time... over time, the lubrication dries out, gunks up, various parts will develop ordinary wear-and-tear from friction and require replacement. A typical full service involves a full tear-down of the movement, ultrasonic cleaning, reassembly with fresh lubrication, replacement of any worn or broken parts, timing/regulation of the movement for accuracy, new gaskets and pressure testing to ensure the correct water resistance.

Quartz movements are much more mechanically simple, have very few moving parts, and don't generally require such intensive servicing unless a part breaks or fails, in which case it is sometimes possible to replace the part, and sometimes more economical to simply replace the whole movement. (Movement replacement is also sometimes the more economical choice with less expensive mechanical watches.) But it's a good idea to have gaskets replaced and water resistance tested anytime you get a new battery for a quartz watch.
                  Ben

Comment

I had the capacitor replaced about 2 years ago on a Solar watch that I have. Any idea on the maintenance cycle on Solar watches?

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                      I have a Tag Heuer Monaco watch that I bought well over 10 years ago. I have never had the watch serviced. The watch keeps good time and has no issues. Should I bring it in for servicing, or wait until something goes wrong?

Note the watch is not a daily wearer. Might make my wrist once every 10 works days.
                      I am in the opposite camp as LBD. I don't get my watches serviced unless there is an issue. The caveat to that is if you dive with a watch, or have an antique piece that may get wet. The seals do degrade over time and need to be replaced.

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15630]Loafer28[/MENTION]. Now I'm right back where I started

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                          Thanks [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15630]Loafer28[/MENTION]. Now I'm right back where I started
                          I would suggest going to watch forums to read the debates on this. I don't think either strategy is all that disastrous.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ablog...ce-repair/amp/

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/do-...1771258?page=1

Comment

Hey guys. I have a summer wedding coming up soon, on a boat in Penn's Landing. I was going to go based on Joe's "Super Casual Wedding" but add just a little less casual to it, like a long sleeve button up white shirt and a brown belt. I want to at least wear a tie that I can take off if the situation is more casual. I thought of perhaps a knit tie, but thought a blue navy knit would be too boring.

Any wisdom from the crowds? Thanks folks.

Comment

I was caught out in the rain yesterday and my McAllisters suffered from it. The toes on my shoes now look like this. I let them dry for 24hour or so before adding some Saphire and then applying some walnut polish.

Is there anything else I can do? Recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] - I have not had that and I have subjected my Dalton's to water multiple times. Heck even snow didn't cause this. I'd wait a little longer to see if it is just deep set in water that may dry. I don't know what else to suggest other than you may have to burnish the toes with some brown to provide a faux patina. Sorry man.

Comment

Working...
                                X