Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] not at all. The only thing most people advise against is winding the time forward/back between 10pm-2am ish where it forces the date to change as well.

Comment

I plan on attending two weddings in the next couple months. They will be pretty nice (not a casual outdoor wedding), but not super nice. I need to buy a suit since I outgrew all my other ones after squatting :-p

I recently purchased the Land's End Navy Chino suit, because I really like it and also plan on using the pants and jacket separately at times, as I think the jacket would go well with jeans, for instance.

https://www.landsend.com/products/me...69&PID=4025845

However, do you think wearing that navy chino suit to a pretty nice wedding is okay or not? If not, I probably will by a Land's End Wool Yearrounder in Navy. I also plan on wearing AE Mcallisters in Chili if that makes any difference.

Comment

I think there is a distinction to be drawn here between "can you get away with it" and "is this the most ideal outfit for the circumstances."

Can you get away with it? Almost certainly, yes. Is it the most ideal? Honestly, very difficult to say without knowing more about the wedding, venue, local customs, the other attendees, etc. I can certainly imagine a "pretty nice" wedding where a cotton suit would be more than adequate. I can also imagine a "pretty nice" wedding where a cotton suit would look overly relaxed. Certainly, if the venue is something like a large, historic church in an East Coast city, I think you'd be pushing your luck with a cotton suit. On the other hand, here where I live in the ultra-casual Rockies, I'd probably be among the top 25% most dressed-up if I wore a cotton suit to even the most "formal" of weddings.

If you need a new suit anyway for general suit purposes I would think the wool would be a better choice.
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Arête View Post
          I plan on attending two weddings in the next couple months. They will be pretty nice (not a casual outdoor wedding), but not super nice. I need to buy a suit since I outgrew all my other ones after squatting :-p

I recently purchased the Land's End Navy Chino suit, because I really like it and also plan on using the pants and jacket separately at times, as I think the jacket would go well with jeans, for instance.

https://www.landsend.com/products/me...69&PID=4025845

However, do you think wearing that navy chino suit to a pretty nice wedding is okay or not? If not, I probably will by a Land's End Wool Yearrounder in Navy. I also plan on wearing AE Mcallisters in Chili if that makes any difference.
          I think you will be fine in that suit. I recently wore the J Crew version of a chino suit to a wedding that I think would fall under the "pretty nice, but not super nice" category and I felt like it was completely appropriate.

That being said, I think owning a wool navy(or charcoal) suit is a great idea for the majority of guys. For fancier weddings, job interviews, funerals, traditional business situation, ect a chino suit is not really ideal and a dark wool would be a much better option. So I don't think you need to run out and get the wool suit specifically for these weddings, but if it fits in your budget it could be a good purchase and you could wear it to one of the weddings to give you a little variety.

Comment

Arête: Sorry to answer your question with another question, but I was wondering what you think of your Lands End Chino suit? How was the fit? Any complaints? And are those sleeve buttons functional?

Comment

Thanks for the responses y'all. I think I may go ahead and get the navy wool suit, as I don't have any suit except the chino suit.

Comment

Originally posted by TMann View Post
                Arête: Sorry to answer your question with another question, but I was wondering what you think of your Lands End Chino suit? How was the fit? Any complaints? And are those sleeve buttons functional?
                Thanks for the question! Yes, I think the suit is actually very nice. And I used 40% off coupons on both the jacket and the pants (total of about $150). The sleeve buttons are non-functioning. I bought the traditional fit jacket rather than the tailored fit because I need 46L and the tailored probably would have been too tight. I'm kind of big. However, I had to buy the tailored fit pants because for some reason only these go up to size 36 length while the traditional fit don't! The pants may be a little tighter than I'd like, but I also have large thighs, etc. as I have been doing Starting Strength for the last year and squat 3x a week. I think the jacket also looks great by itself with a pair of dark jeans. You can always give it a shot - great return policy! Also you can get 40% off coupon for signing up for emails, and another 40% off coupon for signing up for text alerts. Never pay full price there!

Comment

Thanks for the question! Yes, I think the suit is actually very nice. And I used 40% off coupons on both the jacket and the pants (total of about $150). The sleeve buttons are non-functioning. I bought the traditional fit jacket rather than the tailored fit because I need 46L and the tailored probably would have been too tight. I'm kind of big. However, I had to buy the tailored fit pants because for some reason only these go up to size 36 length while the traditional fit don't! The pants may be a little tighter than I'd like, but I also have large thighs, etc. as I have been doing Starting Strength for the last year and squat 3x a week. I think the jacket also looks great by itself with a pair of dark jeans. You can always give it a shot - great return policy! Also you can get 40% off coupon for signing up for emails, and another 40% off coupon for signing up for text alerts. Never pay full price there!
                  Thanks for the advice. I just ordered the chino jacket in navy. And I got 40% off for signing up for email alerts. Very smart.

Comment

Originally posted by TMann View Post
                    Thanks for the advice. I just ordered the chino jacket in navy. And I got 40% off for signing up for email alerts. Very smart.
                    Awesome! Let me know what you think too!

Comment

I've noticed a lot of the 40R shoulder measurements for Spier and Mackay and Suit Supply are listed as 18.1". My chest is a 40/41ish, but according to Brooks Brothers (whom measured me and fit me into their 41R Regent fit) my shoulder width comes in at around 19". That would mean neither the 40R or 42R from S&M or SS would fit me, right? It seems odd I'd have to move up to a 44 just to get the shoulder to fit correctly. Can anyone offer any advice on what to do?

Comment

my SS Napoli is 40r, although BB measured me at 41. The shoulders are 19. Although I usually wear 42r

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
                          my SS Napoli is 40r, although BB measured me at 41. The shoulders are 19. Although I usually wear 42r
                          So it sounds like I'm then limited to the Napoli cut at SS for suits. Unfortunately their jackets don't have 19" shoulders until you approach 44R, which will be much to large everywhere else for me. Same for Spier & Mackay, whom I'd prefer to purchase from.

Comment

Bought some very nice Italian desert boots a few years back. Only wear them a few times a year.

The front end is arching upwards. Should I put shoe trees on these? I worry that since the leather is so thin, it'd stretch out.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by iviustang50h View Post
                              So it sounds like I'm then limited to the Napoli cut at SS for suits. Unfortunately their jackets don't have 19" shoulders until you approach 44R, which will be much to large everywhere else for me. Same for Spier & Mackay, whom I'd prefer to purchase from.
                              Measurements only tell part of the story, of course. I have both a Spier & Mackay and SS Napoli in 42R. The SS is a little roomier, so my guess is that you would probably want a 42R in Spier & Mackay. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Matt Dalton

Comment

thoughts on these shoes? versatile enough to be worth buying? i like them, but idk what theyd go with

http://imgur.com/a/8GSSZ

Comment

Working...
                                X