Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chareth
    replied

The plain toe Beckmans and the Iron Rangers do have small toe bump, but do not have the clownishly large toe box that the moc toe Beckmans do. I don't really understand why the toe box on the moc toes need to be so large; it's even on the same last as the other two.

Leave a comment:

• Weng
    replied

When i returned them to my local jcrew, the store manager there remarked that they were seeing a lot of returns for the clown toe reason...and that iron ranger was his choice. Just one persons's opinion, but hey, figure he sees the trends better than the average person.

Leave a comment:

• OnlyShawn
    replied

Size 11.5 here: still ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• Chareth
    replied

Just got 'em today. Going back.

I can see the toe possibly looking more cohesive with bigger sizes, but not with mine. It looks a little ridiculous on me.

Leave a comment:

• Weng
    replied

Chareth, i really wanted to like them as they were my first pair and looked great out of the box. Needed the wife's input to come to the realization. But perhaps you will fare differently!

Silver lining: $200 back in your pocket.

Leave a comment:

• Chareth
    replied

Weng, now you have me fearing the worst (mine are supposed to be delivered tomorrow).

I've found RWs to be particularly difficult to put on until you break them in. I don't know if it's related or not, but I've never really ever used the top set of eyelets on any pair of boots I've ever worn, even ones with the lacing hooks.

Leave a comment:

• Weng
    replied

I've decided to return the Beckmans. I liked the fit and finish and darker brown "chestnut" just fine. But like OnlyShawn said with the toe being real high, to me the uptilt of the toe gives it too much of a clown shoe appearance. My wife agreed - she loved em out of the box, but wearing them was Bozo-esque.

Also, its kind of a pain to get into them, even with the top 3-4 eyelets very loose - the leather tongue narrowed the opening a lot, and my heel kept jamming down the rear part of the boot. Had to use a shoe horn every time. Thanks to Dappered, I ordered 8.5 in addition to my 9 - and 8.5 was the correct fit for me. First time I've ever downsized. So I know I have the correct size boot.

Only other boots I have are Vasque hikers and LLBean duck boots, so perhaps this is a common thing with work boots or Red Wings?

Given the high toe box and that it would take me 3-4 minutes to get into them in the AM, I couldn't see these boots getting enough use to justify the $200 price tag. The quality is obvious...but to me, not worth it in the end.

Leave a comment:

• OnlyShawn
    replied

These things are so comfortable, I'm scared to mess with the sole.

Leave a comment:

• Chareth
    replied

Shawn, thanks for the description of the Beckmans. I knew the leather was going to be more of a mid-brown, but I didn't know what to expect of the toe. I have a pair of round toe Beckmans, and they work for me, but these moc toes seem much higher despite being on the same last. (I haven't yet received mine, but at this point I kind of expecting to return them.)

Those 2904s are pretty sweet. I actually bought some RW 899s in their briar oil slick leather from J.Crew like 3 or 4 years ago and, while it's a different color, it has a very similar style to yours but with a commando sole. I think you'll like the look if you ever resole yours.

Leave a comment:

• OnlyShawn
    replied

You can't resist the badassitude.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

I already reblogged one post of your boots, I won't do them all. I have standards. Kinda.

Leave a comment:

• OnlyShawn
    replied

http://formfunctionform.tumblr.com/post/16664349511/more-red-wing-x-jcrew-on-site-off-duty-action

s'more shots.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Paid now, but your reputation will "grow" (har har har) with you. Wish I could hire Olmstead - his mature landscapes are the crowning jewel of his career.

Good luck! And feel free to ask if you have any plant questions. I realize that all too often you're forced to focus on compliance issues and staying under budget rather than getting creative.

Leave a comment:

• OnlyShawn
    replied

Ha! Yes...we're not that good at picking the right plant sometimes. Also, I have an MA in Econ, which makes me think that the incentives aren't really aligned toward an LA getting the right plant for long term; you're paid now, and take pictures now...not in 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

I meant that ^^ in a more friendly way. Nice to run across someone else in the green industry. =)

I get asked all the time on tradeshow floors why I'm so dressed up...in a dress shirt and jeans. But I love attention. Obvs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X