X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M. Montaigne
    replied
    Originally posted by MaxMan View Post
    I Don't get your bespoke comment; you implying if the trousers are bespoke and have loops it's ok to go belt less?
    Bespoke trousers do not have belt loops - they usually have tabs. As such, you have no choice but to go belt-less.

I just feel that the belt-less look of trousers with belt loops looks odd. Obviously, YMMV and all that.

Leave a comment:

• M. Montaigne
    replied
    Originally posted by Lemmy127 View Post
    I go two routes. I have about 10 pairs of loafer socks that you absolutely can't see when I'm wearing them and I have terry cloth insoles that absorb the foot sweat. I only go legit sock-less with boat shoes.
    I have those too - work great. Unless I know I'm in water, I wear them with loafers.

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
    I don't know why you assume everyone's feet smell as much as yours (presumably this is where you are getting the basis of your idea from). My feet actually rarely sweat (and neither do i generally). I go sockless year round regardless of type of shoe. My feet just don't stink...
    I'm glad you've established that your feet do not stink - perhaps it's something that's best reserved for others to opine on?

Nevertheless, shoes are breeding grounds for bacteria. Whether or not you think they stink, I am certain your feet sweat, perhaps in lower amounts (given that it's the body's natural mechanism to maintain your temperature).

Going sockless, especially in the warmer months, is unhygienic. But hey, it's a free world. That means you can do whatever you want, and I can judge you for it.

In any event, I haven't heard any complaints about my feet, especially because (a) I wear socks, (b) I rotate my shoes and (c) I use shoe trees.
    Last edited by M. Montaigne; June 10, 2014, 04:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• beatle
    replied
    I just can't go sockless. Sweat and blisters suck. No smell to speak of, but I wore a pair of canvas Sperry's out one summer night last year. Never again. It wasn't cool and refreshing. It was like sandpaper within an hour. The look isn't bothersome - it's just the feel for me.

Leave a comment:

• MaxMan
    replied
    Double Monks and Shorts?

Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    I love monk straps. They are my go-to shoes on most days, especially since I travel. They look good, and they're like stylish versions of loafers.

However, no socks? That bugs me to no end. Unless you're wearing boat shoes or (some) type of really casual loafer, going without socks is just disgusting. I see that and don't think it's stylish - I just think your feet smell.

And wearing no belt on pants with belt loops? Nope. If it's bespoke, knock yourself out. Otherwise, you just look like someone who forgot to wear a belt.

Why yes, I'm a judgmental prick.

I lol'd.
    Lol. To each their own I suppose. Everyone is judged to some degree so I don't mind it. I go sock less pretty much all through the summer and non of my shoes smell. Again everyone doesn't fall into that box either. I Don't get your bespoke comment; you implying if the trousers are bespoke and have loops it's ok to go belt less?

Leave a comment:

• Scofield
    replied

However, no socks? That bugs me to no end. Unless you're wearing boat shoes or (some) type of really casual loafer, going without socks is just disgusting. I see that and don't think it's stylish - I just think your feet smell.
    I don't know why you assume everyone's feet smell as much as yours (presumably this is where you are getting the basis of your idea from). My feet actually rarely sweat (and neither do i generally). I go sockless year round regardless of type of shoe. My feet just don't stink...

Leave a comment:

• Lemmy127
    replied
    I go two routes. I have about 10 pairs of loafer socks that you absolutely can't see when I'm wearing them and I have terry cloth insoles that absorb the foot sweat. I only go legit sock-less with boat shoes.

Leave a comment:

• M. Montaigne
    replied
    monks would look pretty good with a linen / cotton suit like the JC one. make the look extremely casual and its fine IMO, no tie, no belt, impeccable fit, casual button up shirt. But I'm a risk taker.
    I love monk straps. They are my go-to shoes on most days, especially since I travel. They look good, and they're like stylish versions of loafers.

And wearing no belt on pants with belt loops? Nope. If it's bespoke, knock yourself out. Otherwise, you just look like someone who forgot to wear a belt.

Why yes, I'm a judgmental prick.

Originally posted by shockfinder View Post
    But it's not a suit...it's a little boy school uniform from the 1800s. Yeah, on this I'm opinionated...lol.
    I lol'd.

Leave a comment:

• Brent k
    replied
    Short suits are fine for very warm climates. Bermuda comes to mind.

And that is it. Suede double monks maybe if you have a certain swagger to you. I wear suede wingtips with shorts but it needs to follow the rest of the outfit.

Leave a comment:

• shockfinder
    replied
    Originally posted by Jshackleford View Post
    I kinda like the cotton one, but the rest don't make any sense. I could see wearing it in a more casual setting/creative job that requires a suit.
    But it's not a suit...it's a little boy school uniform from the 1800s. Yeah, on this I'm opinionated...lol.

Leave a comment:

• Jshackleford
    replied
    monks would look pretty good with a linen / cotton suit like the JC one. make the look extremely casual and its fine IMO, no tie, no belt, impeccable fit, casual button up shirt. But I'm a risk taker.
    Agreed, especially a printed short sleeve.

Leave a comment:

• MaxMan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Duvel
    replied
    Such a classy look. (Sarcasm intended.)

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    I can see why some people might think shorts with monk straps are acceptable. After all, wearing shorts with other loafers (drivers, venetians, boat shoes, pennies, etc) is fairly common.

Personally, though, even though the monk strap is technically a loafer and on the casual end of the dress shoe spectrum, they are still too formal to wear with shorts. IMO shorts are purely "sports wear" and thus any shoe that is not a sports shoe, or derived from a sports shoe (sneakers, boat shoes, sandals, drivers, etc), is incongruous.

Leave a comment:

• Jshackleford
    replied
    Jesus H. Christ.
    I kinda like the cotton one, but the rest don't make any sense. I could see wearing it in a more casual setting/creative job that requires a suit.

Leave a comment:

• M. Montaigne
    replied
    Originally posted by shockfinder View Post
    Jesus H. Christ.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X