Damn you, Dappered!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn you, Dappered!

I bought a few extra-slim fit shirts from BB for work and I used to be completely happy with them. Recently, I've picked up a few MTM shirts from Blank Label, Moderntailor, Ratio and a tailor overseas. These MTM shirts fit AWESOME and it actually boosts my confidence when I wear them. But now I just dont feel comfortable in the BB shirts anymore because of the fit. I'm subconciously rotating between the MTM shirts during the work week and ignoring the more expensive BB and such shirts. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, why, Dappered, whyyyyyyyyy!

Once you go MTM shirting, you never go back.

Comment

Any suggestions on which MTM to use? I'm debating trying the online MTM vs getting an in-person tailor here in NYC (which I imagine will be much more expensive).

Comment

That's cool! I'm planning to order shirts from Ratio, hopefully when a coupon code surfaces. Would you suggest getting one from each instead? What are the pros and cons? What made you decide to order from a bunch of different companies instead of sticking with one?

Plus - have you used Joe Button?

Comment

Horn, I've only done MTM in person from a travelling tailor - Rocky's Custom Clothes. He travels to NY frequently. His prices aren't so bad compared to NYC prices (Michael Andrews Bespoke comes to mind), you can get a sea island oxford for $95 from Rocky. Here in Philly there are two bigger names for MTM or bespoke anything: Distante on Samson, and Commonwealth Proper in Rittenhouse. Both of those will cost you around $150 per shirt.

I've never done online MTM as I think that may be more headaches than it's worth. At least find a cheap travelling tailor that will measure you up and give suggestions.

PS. if you do get measured for your shirts, be sure that you wear your best fitting shirt and your best fitting jacket so the tailor can reference.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I've been meaning to check out a few MTM services. Does anyone know of a MTM service that does extreme cutaway collars like the Keaton RLPL shirts? I'd love to commission a few of those, but can't seem to find anywhere that offers anything close..

Comment

Zach, I would ask around and make some phone calls. Describe what you are looking for and see if they can accomodate. I doubt that they wouldn't at least try to get you something similar, especially if you want 2-3 shirts.

I understand that style is very individualistic, but do you REALLY like those collars?

Comment

@everyone - From my experience, my Ratio shirt was the best quality and my ModernTailor shirt had the best fit. I think that's only because Ratio requires less specific measurements when ordering the shirt, while ModernTailor pretty much requests everything. But the quality of the Ratio shirt is simply awesome.

My parents went overseas this past December to visit family (in Pakistan), and getting things tailored over there is super cheap. I gave my mom the Ratio shirt and she had the tailor create 3 different shirts (different styles) with the exact same fabric, measurements and structure (spread collar, double barrell cuffs, etc). The tailor was spot-on with his custom shirts and each one cost me $30.

Comment

what size are you? would happen to want to sell any of the BB shirts?

Comment

I was struck that Ratio doesn't ask more questions.

Comment

I ordered a shirt from Ratio and it fit great everywhere except the torso which really needed to be slimmer than their slim size. They let me send it back and we decided to slim up the torso and waist with 2 different measurements. I'm waiting to get the new shirt, but so far I've been really happy with the service and willingness to work with me on the fit.

Comment

@Albert, I think I'll do that and make some calls. I just don't feel like spending $150 on eBay for a shirt that has to be further tailored to get the collar that I want.

And yes, I'm absolutely positive that I want Keaton collars for a few staple shirts, even though they are quite out there in terms of style. I'd ideally like to commission a white with french cuffs, white with double barrel cuffs, and a light blue with double barrel cuffs. I love the look of RLPL and think they would compliment my wardrobe quite nicely.

Comment

ZachL, if you're in Chicagoland, by chance, you could talk to Suithouse.

My friend had a shirt and suit made by them. He said literally every detail is customizable.

http://www.shsuperstore.com/Suithouse1/contact1.html

Comment

I'm in Sacramento, so I'll have to see what else is available around these parts. Thanks though!

Comment

Working...
                            X