Thoughts on this portfolio bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on this portfolio bag?

So I just got admitted to grad school for a PhD program. Im going into a very casual program, but still a professional career (school psychology). Most psychs I've worked with are carting around nylon laptop bags or something of the like, so a formal briefcase is not required. I loove this bag and want to get myself a gift. Thoughts on the versatility? I think it could work on campus, for internships, and ultimately for work. They have agreed to move the big moose logo to the interior so it will be logo-less.

http://duluthpack.com/bison-series/b...portfolio.html

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

I think it looks fantastic, and if you get it, it will probably last longer than you do. My one concern is that it doesn't look especially large. It looks like it could fit some files, or a small laptop, or a 3-ring binder, but definitely not all three. So I guess it depends on how much stuff you carry around for your work and school.

Ben

Comment

I still don't feel the bison leather... I think the plain leather one would be more versatile for more formal / dressed up occasions:

http://duluthpack.com/leather-traveler-s-portfolio.html

I agree on it not being very big, too... Not sure if you'll have to carry a laptop, but if you do and you need to carry the power cord, etc. it fills up space fast.

Comment

I'm with Jason in both respects (and BenR on the space). During law school, I needed a much larger bag if I didn't want to also be carrying a couple textbooks outside of it (although sometimes that was inevitable). I had a nylon bag (Victorinox) that I used, which served me pretty well, both in toting the laptop and all the other junk I needed. Also, in school, my bag tended to get really beat up, so I'm not sure I'd go for a nicer leather bag just yet... although that may have just been me.

Comment

I'm admittedly not a fan, but it's all about personal opinion. Everyone is going to have their own favorites. that's why there are so many to choose from.

I'm sure there are plenty of things a person can own where there are definitely wrong choices, but I think you have to go pretty far out on a limb to make a "wrong" choice on a bag. Avoid animal prints and neon, find something durable with enough space, and I'm sure you'll do just fine with whatever choice you make.

If you love it, it's big enough, and you can afford it, then don't let anyone else talk you out of getting it.

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas. I agree about the size thing. I knew it wouldn't be everyone's favorite but I sure do like it.

@BenR, I feel like our styles often mesh. Got any other suggestions so I examine all my options?

Also, any other suggestions from anyone would be helpful. I know this topic has been covered before but I'm looking for quality, durable, and preferably made in the US. Not as concerned with price, within reason.

Comment

http://www.mw-traveler.com/

Comment

Congratulations on getting into grad school. A few thoughts

1. In general, I like the bag

2. If you have an office in campus, it is probably big enough, but if you don't, I think you will want something with more room.

3. That is a nicer bag than any grad student or 95% of the faculty will have.

It is a little foggy, but I think I had an LL Bean school kid style backpack for most of grad school.

Comment

@ JC, those are really nice. Hefty price tag as well.

@ bassopotamus, thanks for the congrats and the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                  X