Pennies in penny loafers? Yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pennies in penny loafers? Yes or no?

So I recently picked up a pair of Bass Weejuns and I have a question for everybody here. What do you guys think about putting pennies in penny loafers? Yes or no? Is it trying to hard or is it just a fun way to wear penny loafers? I kind of lean on the side of putting them in, when I'm wearing them more casually say with chinos but not when I'm wearing them with slacks.
    Yes
    22.73%
    No
    77.27%

I can't say I've ever seen it done, though I have heard of it. I think it could look cool if you put some grungy old pennies in a pair of well-worn loafers that are worn casually. Might look a little affected if you put shiny new pennies in shiny new loafers.

That's just my $.02, though.

*rimshot*
    Ben

Comment

I'd never even heard of it until this post, let alone seen it in the wild.

Comment

I don't know. I mean, I really don't. I remember seeing my uncle wearing penny loafers with pennies in them. I think he was in high school, and I was in first grade. I remember being impressed but not knowing quite why. I think I thought it was funny. I think I asked him why he did that, and he said, "Why, to make you ask why, kid. Ha ha ha."

Comment

It was common place years ago. For example, growing up on the east coast 20+ years ago. Also, the shoe is named for the practice, which has occurred since the 1930s. But seeing as I don't wear penny loafers and think they are glorified slippers, I'll let you and others figure out if a penny makes or breaks this fashion disaster.

And now I have flashbacks of the 1980s. Zubaz pants anyone?
          "Tempus Fugit"

Comment

I'd go with quarters. To account for inflation and all that.

Comment

In case you're interested, here's their history:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/31775/an...called-weejuns

Comment

I've heard some people would put dimes in their loafers in case they needed to make a call.

Comment

I don't know. I say, why not.

Comment

I remember doing it as a kid...

Comment

I have 4 pairs and it's the first thing I do when I get them.

Comment

If you like the look then go for it. It's definitely not common anymore (can't say I've seen anyone do it in over ten years).

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          I can't say I've ever seen it done, though I have heard of it. I think it could look cool if you put some grungy old pennies in a pair of well-worn loafers that are worn casually. Might look a little affected if you put shiny new pennies in shiny new loafers.

That's just my $.02, though.

*rimshot*
                          bravo.

I don't do the pennies in mine. I agree that a well worn penny in a well worn loafer might be cool. If you want to overthink it, get a new penny from the year you bought the shoe, keep it in there and let it get the patina with the shoe. That only works with a really good one that will last a while though. But personally, no penny for me.

Comment

I have yet to see pennies in penny loafers that look good, think it looks kind of weird to be honest.

Penny cufflinks on the other hand are quite cool
                            I choose my style wisely, not just because I want to look handsome, but also because I want to show myself to the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Pope Ricard View Post
                              Penny cufflinks on the other hand are quite cool
                              Only if you work for the Treasury Department. And only on Halloween.

Comment

Working...
                              X