Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dear God, can I visit a website that doesn't have Indochino, Bonobos, J. Crew...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear God, can I visit a website that doesn't have Indochino, Bonobos, J. Crew...

freaking banner ads!

Plus HauteLook (looked it up, pronounced oat-look, my wife's favorite shopping vice site).

I actually look forward to seeing mortgage banner ads!

It's a constant barrage to navigate, and while I like the concept of relevant ads, it's easier for me to flush a Tampax ad out of my head.

Adblock plus extension for Chrome... what banner ads are you talking about?

Comment

I know what you mean...but I'm philosophically divided on that. I want to support the websites that I'm visiting, and if they aren't serving ads, they're not making money. But I've got the Bononononononobos ads burned into my head at this point.

Comment

You can whitelist the sites you want to support and allows ads to come through for those

Comment

Don't block Bonobos ads, you never know when they'll use them to advertise a new coupon code

Comment

@nich: I'm sure you know, but it's all based on viewing habits. Clear your browser cache, clear your cookies, refresh your IP address lease, and see if that doesn't change anything.

Comment

It's your Google Account too...most sites, like this one, use AdChoices/DoubleClick, now owned by Google. So I have Google Web History enabled, and I'm always logged into my Google Account. I do have a browser extension at home that prevents third-party sites like Google and Facebook from checking my cookies while visiting other sites.

Out of curiosity, I visited Pinterest.com two days ago, and the blocker canceled 114 requests just on the home page alone. 8-O

Comment

@NC: You were on pinterest? I'd motion to revoke your man card, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure you were just looking for a valetine's gift for your wife or DIY carpentry ideas. ;-) j/k

Comment

@nicholas what extension blocks third parties from checking cookies?

Comment

I think it's Disconnect.

Ben

Comment

Installed, thanks!

Comment

Yes, it's called Disconnect.

I need a Chrome extension that just quickly posts "Alan/Jason/BenR are right."

Alan - so what if I was on Pinterest? Wanna make something out of it? ;-) I opted to start a Tumblr so that I'm talking about menswear too much to my friends on Twitter and Facebook.

I'm gonna stick to going nuts there instead of bugging my friends...when they don't comment on anything menswear related anyways.

http://sartorialsidewalk.tumblr.com/

Comment

Agreed with @trash -- never know when another new 20% code will come up!

Comment

www.gentlemint.com

I, too, get tired of the banner ads. But I feel like I need to support my favorite websites by not blocking them. Small sacrifice.

Comment

@NC: I've got no room to talk. I designed the centerpieces and programs for my wedding (and I will deny it if it's brought up in public). :-S

... and I wouldn't say I'm right. I'm just very vocal. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X