Buying the new Birkenstock trend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying the new Birkenstock trend?

Here were go. I read esquire, men's health, askmen, GQ, men's fitness. Also other trendy sites like The style blogger. I just wanted to have a health conversation about a new trend that has been popping up.

Birkenstocks are back? Yes I say that as a question because I don't personally buy into it. Here is the esquire article. http://www.esquire.com/_mobile/blogs...=1456_60305693

Man I find the Birkenstock along with other man-dals are really super casual and I only wear them pool side, beach side sometimes but I rather have boat shoes. I do not buy into the dress sandals leather and what not. I can't see these looking good on anyone but a hippy or hippy type granola type person which is basically my brother. He rather wear Birkenstocks, cargos and a dead t shirt.

Discuss

I've learned never to say never, but for now, I can say I'll never again wear Berks. I wore them once upon a time, in the early 90s, when they seemed cool with the granola crowd I hung with. They now just remind me of a time when I didn't really know much about how to dress. And I can't say they fit my current Ivy obsession.

Comment

Gonna have to agree with both of you. Very granola. The only time I would wear sandals is at the pool and then they are usually cheap flip flops. I'd take boat shoes over these any day. You have to take articles like these with a grain of salt. Of course Esquire and GQ would endorse things like this. They endorse terrible trends all the time. That outfit is exceptionally bad though. Birkenstocks and draw string trousers with a button up, tie, and blazer? So many things wrong with that.

Comment

Is the writer serious with that outfit? A hideously pattern double breasted blazer, an OCBD, medical scrubs, a silk knit tie, and Birkies? Wow.

To answer the question, no. If I'm wearing sandals, it's going to be my black Croc flip flops, that are have 100% of the comfort and 0% of the shame associated with regular Crocs.

Comment

Yeah, GQ and Esquire have absolutely no credence for me. They lost that a long time ago. And let's not forget what this is: a trend, i.e., fashion, i.e., not style and not what we're about here at Dappered, right?

Originally posted by Teej View Post
          Gonna have to agree with both of you. Very granola. The only time I would wear sandals is at the pool and then they are usually cheap flip flops. I'd take boat shoes over these any day. You have to take articles like these with a grain of salt. Of course Esquire and GQ would endorse things like this. They endorse terrible trends all the time. That outfit is exceptionally bad though. Birkenstocks and draw string trousers with a button up, tie, and blazer? So many things wrong with that.

Comment

Absolutely not. I can see them being worn with wool ragg socks in the fall, but my feet are not a pretty sight to behold sans socks.

Comment

Not happening for me either. I think we kicked the whole flip flop/sandal thing around a month or so ago. Beach, pool, backyard bbq by all means. In public shoes for me.

Comment

What the hell did I just read?!

Comment

It's nutty (pun intended). I am pretty sure Birkenstock is trying to make a push to become Main stream again. Jcrew collaboration now probably a paid plug in esquire.

Comment

I wore Birkenstocks yrs ago when I didn't know any better. But yes, sandals and/or flip flops are for the beach only. I saw a couple of guys at the grocery store wearing flip flops and it was an instant turnoff. Not to mention the fact that most men have horrifically ugly gargoyle feet. Hasn't anyone ever heard of nail clippers or getting a pedicure?

Comment

Well, at least they're not advocating the wearing of socks and sandals. Even here in Seattle we chuckle at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z59fQ12OR0A

Regards,
                      Vic
                      "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

I have dutifully received Esquire for a long time. I'm canceling my subscription this month. They're way behind the 8 ball on whats in style and whats not and their recommendations are always a joke. No, I'm not buying band of outsiders pants for $500. Also, I'm not going to buy stuff from NeedSupply.com just cause they sponsor the site.

Comment

It's all a matter of personal taste. I have never fully understood the hatred of men's sandals. Of course, stuff like this (http://www.shoeandboot.co.uk/assets/mens_sandals.jpg) is to be avoided at all cost. Unfortunately, many peoples' opinions are colored by sandals (and the mortal sin of sandals and socks) being worn by folks like this (http://styleblueprint.com/wp-content...ps-620x413.jpg). On top of that, the current dominant style: preppy Ivy wear, which I personally loathe (I cannot stand boat shoes and polos), frowns on sandals. So, of course, people who are joining the fashion party are jumping on the sandal hate bandwagon.

Of course, you can't pair sandals with a blazer, but I think there is nothing particularly offensive about seeing some toes if you are in a casual setting, keep your toenails trimmed and feet clean, and your sandals are not clunky.

Let's not forget all the greats whose feet were graced by sandals: Jesus, Gandhi, Augustus...I rest my case.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, however, because although I do appreciate being well-dressed when the occasion demands it, I am definitely a granola munching, folk and psychedelic rock loving, Sierra Club member.

Comment

Esquire is good for a lark while you're waiting your turn in the barber shop. That's about it. Junk. Has been for at least the past 3 decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Vic View Post
                              Well, at least they're not advocating the wearing of socks and sandals. Even here in Seattle we chuckle at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z59fQ12OR0A

Regards,
                              Vic
                              My coworker does this. I refer to them as shmandals

Comment

Working...
                              X