Vintage/antique cable temple spectacles / eye-glasses -- various issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vintage/antique cable temple spectacles / eye-glasses -- various issues

I recently acquired a pair of vintage (1920s-1930s) spectacles with cable temples (wrap round the ear arms) that I would like to have fitted with prescription lenses (ideally glass ones). Thoughts, recommendations on who would be the best bet for doing so? E.g., would this be able to be done at Costco?

Also, I notice some online places selling 'cable temple covers' about which it is claimed that they prolong the lifespan of the cable temples. Can anyone tell me whether this is true? (aesthetically, the plain gold wire is much more pleasing than some rubbery covering).

You probably cannot just take them into a Costco and say "I'd like new lenses, please," because they just do everything via the same company that practically everyone uses. They don't do any lens making in-house.

Maybe you can do it if you can get the right shaped lenses from one of the frames they have there, but I doubt it.

You'd probably want to go see about finding, if they have one, a same day optometrist.

Why specifically glass lenses, too?

Comment

I've always used glasses lenses. I have the impression that they're still more scratch-resistant than even 'coated' plastic/etc. lenses and offer better quality. I could probably be persuaded to try something else, but I've never been impressed with non-glasses lenses I've seen.

For a non-vintage pair of frames (well, i got them in 1997 so perhaps they're approaching 'vintage'), I managed to get replacement glass lenses back in 2007 -- the optometrist sent me to some lens-maker in town (though that was many towns ago).

Comment

You might have to do some calling around to your local opticians (an independent shop will likely not have any qualms about helping you with non in-house brand frames, and installing real glass). Glass v. Polycarb probably has less to do with any hesitation than the limitation of working only with in-house offered frames.

Quickly on Glass v. Poly: Glass lenses are indeed more scratch resistant and have very high clarity. However, glass lenses are much heavier, much less impact resistant and not inherently UV protected. If those factors don't figure into your decision, glass is definitely not a bad option.

Comment

Working...
        X