Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duvel
    replied
    Hold on there, mister. I'm not exactly a fan of Lands' End. I have about 3 things from them, including a baseball cap. So far, I'm not a huge fan of the shirts.

Leave a comment:

• JPD Revised
    replied
    Fair enough, [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION]. I know you're a fellow Lands' End fan, so I was curious if you had any experience with them.

Leave a comment:

• Duvel
    replied
    @JDP Revised, no, but I may some day. I've heard good things too. They seem more like a dress shirt, in fabric, than what I want, however.

Leave a comment:

• JPD Revised
    replied
    [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION], have you tried LE's Hyde Park OCBDs? I haven't, but I read good things about them awhile back. They're offered in neck and sleeve sizes albeit in limited colors and patterns. They're also offered in both traditional and tailored fits.

Leave a comment:

• ninpb
    replied
    Originally posted by ninpb View Post
    I have a medium tailored fit sail rigger in the mail but I found myself at a LE at sears for lunch yesterday and I tried on the regular fit sail rigger small and I think it fit on me like a slim. I dont know why I didn't buy it to really compare the two but if they are this could be great. I'll just size down on regular fit and save on not having to shorten the medium sleeves.
    OK so got the tailored medium and its big on me. Will have to go down to the small tailored.

Leave a comment:

• Duvel
    replied
    Thanks. At least now I know. I might try the tailored-fit versions some other time. The thing about those LE shirts is that the material is really good--heavy but also soft, just how I think an OCBD should be. My J. Crew feel just a touch on the thin side. The LE also have good collars, bigger, with a bit of a roll. MY J. Crew collars seem just a bit small to me and the roll is non-existent.

Leave a comment:

• ninpb
    replied
    Originally posted by Duvel View Post
    I sent back the two LE sail rigger OCBDs I ordered last week. You guys are right. I can't do the sack-shirt thing. I'm wearing my J. Crew regular fit white OCBD today, and I feel so much better.

I could not figure out how to quite tuck in those bigger-fitting OCBDs. So much extra material.
    I have a medium tailored fit sail rigger in the mail but I found myself at a LE at sears for lunch yesterday and I tried on the regular fit sail rigger small and I think it fit on me like a slim. I dont know why I didn't buy it to really compare the two but if they are this could be great. I'll just size down on regular fit and save on not having to shorten the medium sleeves.

Leave a comment:

• M. Montaigne
    replied
    Originally posted by Duvel View Post
    I sent back the two LE sail rigger OCBDs I ordered last week. You guys are right. I can't do the sack-shirt thing. I'm wearing my J. Crew regular fit white OCBD today, and I feel so much better.

I could not figure out how to quite tuck in those bigger-fitting OCBDs. So much extra material.
    This makes me happy. *fist bump*

Leave a comment:

• Duvel
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ninpb
    replied
    I wear my timex ironman watch most times out of the week with my chinos and button downs. It's just so comfortable and reminds me of all the professors I had with the casio calculator watch.

I realize this one might get me kicked out of this community =)

Leave a comment:

• Romeo
    replied
    I read the article as well very interesting thanks.. Duvel for the insight

Leave a comment:

• yodersphinx
    replied
    Originally posted by iCraig View Post
    I totally hear you. I prefer the style that is seen in that area of the country (where I'm originally from). I live in Austin for the next month and some of the style I see down here is just out there. Way too hipstery for my tastes. It's like everyone here subscribes to /r/malefashionadvice on Reddit. I really don't get 80% of what they post there.
    MFA is a rather bizarre place. It's obviously a younger crowd but man some of the stuff posted in their WAYWT threads just look flat out silly to me.

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied
    [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION],
    Thanks for the link. I tend to take everything from PTO with a pretty hefty grain of salt, but that was a pretty good article.
    My take-away is basically to keep it casual and use unique/interesting textures as I already mentioned I do, but avoid overseas (actually handy to know given I'm working to move into international fields).
    I plan on continuing the look when applicable, because "I meant to do that!" As a plus, I actually do look somewhat similar to Grant except for a butt-chin.

As an aside, I do tend to think that OCBDs look a little off with suits unless it's a heavy tweed or something similar.

Leave a comment:

• Duvel
    replied
    [MENTION=2088]Alex[/MENTION], in spite of so-called icons doing this over the last several decades, it still is considered controversial. I think this article describes it well: http://putthison.com/post/1345719979...-a-button-down

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied
    Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    And that's entirely because I wear ties, and ties with a button down is something I cannot wrap my mind around (despite being from New England).
    I actually do this reasonably often with casual ties (ie. twill/skinny-tweed/etc.) and think it looks nice and is an easy way to dress up a casual outfit. Honestly wasn't aware there could even be a different stance on it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X