No announcement yet.

I meant to do that!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really? Do you wear a uniform? I certainly felt that way a little when I was in the air force.

Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    If you say so.

I find my style to be a representation of my industry and employer.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
      Really? Do you wear a uniform? I certainly felt that way a little when I was in the air force.
      Not in that sense. However, I work in a very conservative environment with rather conservative clients (in New England, the last bastion of Ivy prep etc).

So, most days I have a navy or charcoal suit on with a white or light blue shirt, a sober tie, and uneventful shoes. For instance, today, I am in a charcoal suit with a light blue shirt and a light gray and dark purple plaid tie, and dark brown shoes.

Depending on who I'm meeting, my tie may get less adventurous (i.e. maroon or navy rather than purple). Occasionally, I can get away with wearing a knit tie or a pocket square. The days when I actually don't meet clients are the days that I peacock, with more adventurous jackets and the odd pocket square. Perhaps the only adornments I permit myself are cuff links (or silk knots) and watches.

My Fridays tend to be more fun because I wear jeans and a blazer, and it affords me some more freedom, but that's assuming I'm not meeting clients. If I do, it's back to navy and charcoal.

There's a story of a new Associate who came in wearing a pink shirt for his first client engagement, and a (notorious senior) partner who took him to a nearby Brooks Brothers to get him "work" clothes. Whether or not it is true, I do not know. But I do know that dandy-ness is heavily frowned upon (and could even be pretty detrimental to your career).

Comment

Nothing wrong or unusual with that. I think there are very few of us who can get away with much peacocking at work (not that I'd want to there or anywhere). Even in my work, which is more on the creative side, I stick to a uniform of khakis and OCBDs with the occasional sweater, depending on the weather, and either some DBs or wingtips. It might seem boring but I actually like knowing essentially what I'm going to wear from day to day.

Comment

Of course. My comment was merely in response to the poster whose style seemed quite... adventurous, shall we say?

I think over time, what you wear *becomes* your style simply because you wear it day in and day out, and find ways to accessorize and improvise (e.g. tried and tested basics with a few changes).

Perhaps if I worked in a more "fun" industry, my style would have evolved differently. Bolder colors and patterns etc.

And I agree with you - there's something to be said about the convenience of knowing what you'll be wearing day to day, and not having to worry about coordinating your outfits. My father was a lawyer who wore his navy suits, white shirts, and black captoes as his "uniform". And as an aspiring minimalist, and I've always admired that trait.

Comment

Yes, I aspire to that kind of minimalism, too. My boss dresses at the other end of the spectrum, like the peacock version of what I try to do. She (yes, she) essentially wears chinos and OCBDs, but the chinos are godawful carmel browns, weird purples, and unnatural blues, and the OCBDs are garish checks and plaids that give me a headache to look at. Then she has weird wrist accessories and bright blue horn-rim style glasses.

I feel adventurous if I wear a university-stripe blue OCBD and break out the red-and-navy NATO strap.

Comment

Jewelry. I unabashedly enjoy jewelry. My wedding band is giant (12mm wide) with two strips of channel set garnets. I wear a university class ring signet set with a rather large diamond on the other hand. I wear a bracelet (or two!) most days, with a reasonably heavy gauge gold hoop or garnet stud earring.

Comment

1. I love casual SCs with peak lapels.

2. I wear my brown and green grenadines as if they're casual ties, not formal ties. something about that textured fabric to me feels more casual than formal. i think that's one of those instances where the sartorial history of the item doesn't really line up with its physical attributes. thank goodness nobody in the real world would ever be like "OMG THIS BUFFOON IS WEARING A GREEN GRENADINE WITH A TWEED SC."

3. I still sag my jeans.

Comment

Yes, I aspire to that kind of minimalism, too. My boss dresses at the other end of the spectrum, like the peacock version of what I try to do. She (yes, she) essentially wears chinos and OCBDs, but the chinos are godawful carmel browns, weird purples, and unnatural blues, and the OCBDs are garish checks and plaids that give me a headache to look at. Then she has weird wrist accessories and bright blue horn-rim style glasses.

I feel adventurous if I wear a university-stripe blue OCBD and break out the red-and-navy NATO strap.
                  Your boss sounds kind of awesome to me.

Comment

I think women can get away with more peacocking than men, even if they choose to dress themselves in masculine clothes.

Even so, I notice that a lot of people tend to focus on accessorizing in an attempt to make up for the basics. Sometimes, less is indeed more.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                      Your boss sounds kind of awesome to me.
                      That was my initial thought as well. Better than what I see on a daily basis, even if it is somewhat unique. Also, this sounds (at least in theory) to be somewhat preppy, which is slightly ironic/interesting, given your ( [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION] ) recent leaning toward that mentality.

Comment

I know, I know. She is pretty awesome, in more than just her attire. My point is just that it is preppy while far different from my brand of preppy. I don't really like it--but hey, it's her style, and yah, at least it's better than most of what you see in the work place. I often compliment her on what she's wearing, and then we'll sometimes launch into a discussion of J. Crew (all the while secretly priding myself on besting my boss in taste. lol)

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                        That was my initial thought as well. Better than what I see on a daily basis, even if it is somewhat unique. Also, this sounds (at least in theory) to be somewhat preppy, which is slightly ironic/interesting, given your ( [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION] ) recent leaning toward that mentality.

Comment

I feel like this is a given, but I would wear the hell out of everything you've described her wearing... I work in a really conservative field (federal consulting) for a very not conservative company, and I feel like if I wanted to be told what to wear I'd just go work the government itself.

Comment

Afraid to tell it but sometimes in the morning i realise that i walk in some jeans and sheuxs but still head out anyway. Does this make me a bad person? :P

Comment

Interesting. I guess I am just a bit more conservative, more Ivy and trad than prep, I guess.

Originally posted by Jshackleford View Post
                              I feel like this is a given, but I would wear the hell out of everything you've described her wearing... I work in a really conservative field (federal consulting) for a very not conservative company, and I feel like if I wanted to be told what to wear I'd just go work the government itself.

Comment

I've been a non-iron shirt snob for quite some time now, meaning I have not thought they were good enough for me to wear.

But I recently dug out a couple of non-wrinkle LE OCBDs I purchased a few years ago, and I was surprised how soft and well-fitting they are. I've been wearing them to work with chinos, and I have received compliments (something that I rarely get), and my wife also remarked, unprompted, about how good I looked in them. I may be convinced to get over this snobbery. One thing I don't like is that, even through a few washings now and with folding them for a shelf instead of hanging, the crease in the sleeve remains.

Comment

Working...
                                X