I meant to do that!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JGL View Post
    Aren't you "supposed to" wear your watch on the right hand if you are left handed? I thought this was common amongst southpaws? In fact, if I recall correctly, Columbo solved a case because a know lefty had a watch on the wrong hand.
    Don't know... it's very possible. What I do know is that the crown is always on the side facing my arm, and there's no way I can adjust it without removing it from my wrist. All things considered, it's no big deal. Of all wearable goods that could be dedicated to one-handedness, the watch is a pretty symmetrical one that isn't hard to wear on either side. Maybe we lefties are just spouting off! [MENTION=1998]MaxMan[/MENTION]@JPD Revised;

Comment

Right-handed, I would find it awkward to wear my watch on my right wrist. Or maybe it's just because I'm used to on my left wrist? So it seems natural to me that one would want to wear his watch on the opposite wrist of his dominant hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
        Right-handed, I would find it awkward to wear my watch on my right wrist. Or maybe it's just because I'm used to on my left wrist? So it seems natural to me that one would want to wear his watch on the opposite wrist of his dominant hand.
        I think it really depends on what you do all day. And how heavy of a watch you wear, I guess. There are many things in life that are designed for right-handed use only, at least without some modification/customization, so for those things (including using a computer mouse), lefties use their right hand, etc. I find it rare that I feel like the watch gets in the way of me using my left hand as a lefty, so there it stays. I imagine that it's whatever you've done in the past aka trained yourself to be used to, moreso than anything.

Comment

To be honest, I am surprised to hear people say that they find it difficult to use a mouse with a watch on.

As someone who's right handed and spends an inordinate number of hours pursuing exciting activities on a computer, I have never ever had any problems with having a watch on my right hand. I have heard similar arguments re: french cuffs and cuff links as well, and I'm always curious because it's one I cannot relate to.

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
          I imagine that it's whatever you've done in the past aka trained yourself to be used to, moreso than anything.
          I think this is it. Since it's something I've done for a while, it's become so ingrained that it just doesn't bother me.

Everything else is just a confirmation bias, imo.

Comment

I too tuck in my OCBDs a good 90% of the time. The few times I wear untucked are usually the 3 or 4 times a year I might break down & wear shorts. Don't know where it falls into the rules spectrum, but from about April through October I don't wear socks (well, I do but "no shows"). Wingtips, boat shoes, vans, loafers; trousers, chinos, denims doesn't matter. Usually sockless.

Comment

Suggestion [MENTION=9923]mjn082[/MENTION]: try tucking in with shorts, too. Check out those famous shots of JFK walking on the beach with his shirt tucked into his shorts. It can be done!

I don't wear shorts, but I almost wish I did so I could try this.

Comment

I wear flip flops with long pants when it's warm outside. Jeans, chinos, colored denim, etc. I like them, they are comfortable, and my feet don't sweat nearly as much in them. Come at me with those pitchforks.

Comment

Suggestion [MENTION=9923]mjn082[/MENTION]: try tucking in with shorts, too. Check out those famous shots of JFK walking on the beach with his shirt tucked into his shorts. It can be done!

I don't wear shorts, but I almost wish I did so I could try this.
                  Yea, not a big fan of shorts but there are a handful of times each summer where I'll break out a pair. Will give it a try, JFK style is a inspiration!

Comment

Right handed and wearing my watch on left wrist because I cannot put on a wristwatch using my left hand.

Comment

You know, come to think of it, there is that. I don't think I could either!

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                      Right handed and wearing my watch on left wrist because I cannot put on a wristwatch using my left hand.

Comment

Okay, there's breaking rules, then there's just being bad.
                        I don't know how you can objectively say that....anyone can say that about any style choice.

Comment

Personally I've ducked the choice entirely by wearing a pocketwatch.

It's a bit old fashioned, but I find a certain charm to them, and you never have to worry about changing the batteries on a hand-wound pocketwatch.
                          Last edited by Aaron P.; May 20, 2014, 12:21 AM. Reason: Edited for spelling.

Comment

I used to wear sandals all the time during the summer but tennis has forced to keep them hidden the majority of the time (ever seen a tennis player's feet? Nasty). During the warmer months I'll sometimes wear a short sleeve button down with a tie. Useful with a jacket that has sleeves lined in non-breathable polyester or when you want to roll / push up the sleeves of a jacket with functioning sleeve buttons. I'll also wear one with a popover and put a tie clip on where the placket ends to keep the tie in line so its hard to tell if the placket extends the full length of the shirt.

Comment

I don't mind short sleeves with a summer jacket. Light cotton or linen. As long as you don't take the jacket off and the shirt can be tucked in.

Comment

I wear white after labor day, sandals and jeans, and sometimes I purposely clash patterns to see what I can get away with. The weird thing is I get more comments about the outdated, "wearing white" rule than my obvious clash of patterns in Portland. I live in a weird city.

Comment

Working...
                                X