Alternatives to chino shorts and boat shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to chino shorts and boat shoes

The temps are starting to climb. I don't want to wear long pants and boots the whole summer, but I absolutely abhor most of the options out there for summer shorts and shoes. I have a bad association with boat shoes/mocs/loafers and chino shorts. I also am not a fan of bucks and most plimsolls (although there are some exceptions, though I can't put my finger on what makes me like the ones I like). Am I missing something or am I pretty much outta luck?
    Last edited by elduderino260; May 15th, 2014, 12:50 AM.

I'm not that much of short wearer myself, will usually opt for chinos w/ a casul rolled cuff & no socks. But some of the JC options look pretty sharp and they come in different length inseams so you can opt for something a tad longer and that might diffuse some of your "too preppy" concerns. Besides, you might come to embrace the prep look. There is a growing renesaiance of appreciation of the whole ivy, east coast prep look on the Dappered Threads by myself, [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION], [MENTION=3567]Teej[/MENTION], [MENTION=3510]brent[/MENTION]K and several other members. It's a classic, timeless look that looks sharp in just about any situation. As far as shoes, I was hesitate about boat shoes for long time but got my first pair this spring and they have quickly become a favorite. A good alternative would Vans original lace ups. Just my $0.02

Comment

I don't do boat shoes or loafers either. Just not for me. I wear canvas sneakers when I wear shorts. Sambas would probably be ok, but most of the sambas I see around are black and they just look to "heavy" (the color I guess, they're actually pretty sleek shoes) for shorts IMO. Most people will probably recommend chucks or jack purcells, but I didn't like either one of those so I went with ProKeds and can't recommend them enough. Another option I considered and will likely grab this summer is Superga.

Not sure what you mean by too preppy as far as chinos go though. Not sure what other kind of shorts your gonna find. Maybe someone else has some ideas.
      Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Just out of curiousity, what is the opinion of Huaraches similar to these (http://lo30tks8mxa0t26z.zippykid.net...e-Sandal-1.jpg or http://i20.twenga.com/fashion/mens-s...509062310f.jpg). I know this borders on full blown sandals, but I actually quite like Birkenstocks (but can't afford them). Would people avoid them altogether, or would they be alright if they covered the toes, etc?

Comment

Go with canvas or suede shoes. Those Supergas look good. Cotton (chino) shorts are the gold standard but you can look into seersucker and linen shorts if you want something else.

Comment

[MENTION=3858]elduderino260[/MENTION] - you say you have a bad association with boat shoes and chinos why?

Shoes - I love boat shoes, converse all stars, suede wing tips, canvas sneakers. Driver mocs too.

Bottoms - fitted chino shorts (not baggy cargos), linen, seersucker, oxford cloth or chambray pants and or shorts. Summer weight denim like Gustins 9oz offering and of course summer chinos.

Comment

A lowtop leather white sneaker is your best friend.

Comment

I don't like shorts myself although there are very preppy versions (they're longer, almost the knee, and plain, like a flat front chino). I like light-colored chinos and a good white sneaker, myself, like the Superga or Sperry CVO.

If you can't go with that or other suggestions here, yeah, like you said, you're pretty much out of luck.

Comment

For shorts, how about just some different colored chino shorts in a slimmer cut with shorter leg? While I wear the standard khaki, I also have a light blue pair and a seersucker-esque stripe that I get a lot of compliments on. Navy is also pretty neutral. For shoes, I just can't do boat shoes...I actually have rocked the black sambas with shorts, but agree with above that sometimes they can come off too heavy in appearance. At this point I pretty much just rotate through either navy or white Vans canvas shoes and then sometimes espadrilles I got from Soludos if at the beach or I just feel like it.

Comment

Converse JP tortoise canvas

Comment

I don't know what to tell you man, those are pretty much my summer staples when I'm off the clock. Target has shorts that are called "chino shorts" but to me they have a more oxford cloth look.

http://www.target.com/p/merona-men-s...lot=medium_1_1

As for shoes, there's not much else out there than I know of. I used to also hate shorts, boat shoes, and driving loafers. It took me a while to embrace them but now that I have, I love them.

Comment

Originally posted by Teej View Post
                        I don't know what to tell you man, those are pretty much my summer staples when I'm off the clock. Target has shorts that are called "chino shorts" but to me they have a more oxford cloth look.

http://www.target.com/p/merona-men-s...lot=medium_1_1

As for shoes, there's not much else out there than I know of. I used to also hate shorts, boat shoes, and driving loafers. It took me a while to embrace them but now that I have, I love them.
                        +1. I used to be decidedly anti-shorts, but I just picked up a couple pairs of Merona flat-front chino shorts and a couple pairs of the club chino shorts that you linked above. I also used to be anti-boat shoes, but my Sebago Docksides are now my go-to spring/summer shoes.

OP, you might look for lightweight chinos and chambray pants. I like the JCF chambray pants that I picked up. J. Crew and others sell lightweight chinos that are fairly breathable in hot weather.

Comment

Working...
                        X