Can we talk Ivy and prep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we talk Ivy and prep?

I have become a little more obsessed than is healthy with going in a prep and Ivy direction, style-wise. But I don't want to be modern- or faux-prep. I want to be authentic, as authentic as my Midwestern butt can be about being prep.

Thus, I am a Muffy convert: http://www.muffyaldrich.com/

And I find this article a gem: http://this-is-prep-that-is-not.tumb...about-prep-but

Any kindred spirits?

I've been reading this the past few days http://www.ivy-style.com/ . Also the "film noir" (sorry forgot the name) you mentioned in a post the other day. Have a couple Japanese sites too w/ cool pics but the links are on my home computer. I'll try to track them down.

Comment

Yeah, I like the Ivy Style site, too. There are a bunch of them, covering everything from a very conservative, traditional approach to something more contemporary.

Comment

When you start looking at style through the prep/Ivy prism, you begin to value clothes for their practicality and disregard those that are merely stylish. You also begin to appreciate clothes that have some tradition behind them. I'm looking through my closet and finding more than a few things that seem to me now to come out of left field.

Comment

I was born in New England with a pair of weejuns on my feet. you have a kindred spirit in me.

Comment

All right!

I have to admit I don't have my weejuns yet. Must I, to be prep?

Comment

I have always been a fan of the look and have unconsciously been gravitating towards it myself. Piece by piece, bit by bit. I have never owned a pair of penny loafers until about a year ago. All of a sudden I have 2 and wear them 3-4 times a week. I tend to spend big on my "workhorse" shoe and had been thinking it would be my wingtips. Really rethinking that and considering weejuns. For clothes, I tend to be careful on my budget because I have to do some physical labor on occasion so I don't wear pricey stuff to work. It is a challenge to emulate some of the styles I like and keep it to a level that I wont be pissed if an item gets a blemish. I am going to be elbow deep in those links though, thanks guys. Keep the info coming in case there are more prep novices like me out there lurking.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                All right!

I have to admit I don't have my weejuns yet. Must I, to be prep?
                They are certainly timeless and classic. I wear them because my father wore them so thats what my mom bought for us as kids and old habits die hard. That said, I believe that part of the ethos of "prep" is that you don't NEED to get anything particular piece. It all started as a bit of a "f**k you" style among college students and rejection of a materialistic nature for comfort and functionality so I believe you can wear whatever you like and the brand means little. Of course I did just get these in tan on sale and they are my new jam piece!

http://ghbass.com/shop/mens/footwear..._2283_261.html

Comment

I am a real fan of the trad style movement. I don't follow it as strictly as some but do have peices that are trad. I like to mix in a bit of southern style as well since I live in SC.

Some trad staple include: navy blazer with gold buttons, bit loafers, OCBDs, tweed blazer, vintage watches and wool trousers.

What brands have you found that you like? I really like JPress, Jack Donnelly, Alden, and Brooks Brothers.

Over on the trad forum at AAAC weejuns have really fallen out of favor since the quality has gone downhill.

Another thing I like about trad is simplicity and it's conservative nature, but it also give you a chancre to be an individual. See GTH.

Comment

I cannot tell you how emphatically prep that statement is! And I'm a bit envious. I come from a family who had no sense of what was good to wear. Sears was where my mom bought our clothes, and that's a habit I gladly let go of when I left home.

Originally posted by NYCToon View Post
                    They are certainly timeless and classic. I wear them because my father wore them so thats what my mom bought for us as kids and old habits die hard. That said, I believe that part of the ethos of "prep" is that you don't NEED to get anything particular piece. It all started as a bit of a "f**k you" style among college students and rejection of a materialistic nature for comfort and functionality so I believe you can wear whatever you like and the brand means little. Of course I did just get these in tan on sale and they are my new jam piece!

http://ghbass.com/shop/mens/footwear..._2283_261.html

Comment

I like JPress and Brooks, although I haven't picked anything up there yet. Yet. OConnells has some good things. LL Bean, Lands End, believe it or not, for staples--reasonable quality and prices.

And I'm sticking to J. Crew for some things. They're not considered strictly Ivy/prep, but I think they're a good source for basics like chinos, polos, and sweaters, and once in a while, some outerwear pieces.

But as NYCToon points out, brand means little. I'm more interested at this point in comfort and utility. Really moving away from thinking of clothes as style. Or I want to at least. And yet... I still want them to look good. Hmm... a quandary.

Originally posted by bremersm View Post
                      I am a real fan of the trad style movement. I don't follow it as strictly as some but do have peices that are trad. I like to mix in a bit of southern style as well since I live in SC.

Some trad staple include: navy blazer with gold buttons, bit loafers, OCBDs, tweed blazer, vintage watches and wool trousers.

What brands have you found that you like? I really like JPress, Jack Donnelly, Alden, and Brooks Brothers.

Over on the trad forum at AAAC weejuns have really fallen out of favor since the quality has gone downhill.

Another thing I like about trad is simplicity and it's conservative nature, but it also give you a chancre to be an individual. See GTH.
                      Last edited by Duvel; May 15, 2014, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I read a few of those sites/blogs as well and tend to favor the ivy style but probably nowhere near as much as Duvel. I do tend to gravitate towards OCBD's and chinos usually since it's simple yet still dressier than 98% of Americans.

Comment

[MENTION=3421]Vicious49[/MENTION], I don't "buy" everything I see on those sites, I should point out. They can get a little too prescriptive, and I think that is counter to the prep ethic. They do help me rethink what I'm wearing, why I'm wearing what I'm wearing, etc. I can see that big failing of mine in recent years has been to worry too much about fit, as in, getting as slim fit. I'm going to relax about that, quite literally. I just purchased a couple of J. Crew chinos in their "regular" fit, which is about two style moves away from their urban slim. We'll see how these work!

I'm also going to try going back to my "true" size in shirts. I've been sizing down. I'm not going to do that anymore.

In sweaters, polos, and outerwear, sizing down has worked. It's interesting to me that it doesn't translate across the board. Just shows that finding one's own style is all a learning process.

Comment

http://oxfordclothbuttondown.com/

I like this blog too. The author seems to have the Dappered view on clothes with an Ivy twist.

http://www.collegetrad.com/

This one is funny too. Trad mixed with frat

Comment

Yeah, I've read both of those. I especially like OCBD's blog for his simple, frugal approach. He says he's boring because he wears the same thing day in and day out, but I find myself wanting to aspire to that.

Originally posted by NYCToon View Post
                              http://oxfordclothbuttondown.com/

I like this blog too. The author seems to have the Dappered view on clothes with an Ivy twist.

http://www.collegetrad.com/

This one is funny too. Trad mixed with frat

Comment

Working...
                              X