No announcement yet.

Can we talk Ivy and prep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to admit, they've also missed the mark for me for some time.

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
    I sort of just meant humanity. And we're definitely not free from that smugness, although we're not as bad as some places. I also generally don't like any of the items Joe posts anymore, and while I appreciate the fits you guys post for what they are, the main reason I still hang around here is because this is kind of where my style journey started for me. I haven't worn a collar in ages, and I've worn designer sneakers every day for the last six months.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
      I sort of just meant humanity. And we're definitely not free from that smugness, although we're not as bad as some places. I also generally don't like any of the items Joe posts anymore, and while I appreciate the fits you guys post for what they are, the main reason I still hang around here is because this is kind of where my style journey started for me. I haven't worn a collar in ages, and I've worn designer sneakers every day for the last six months.
      [MENTION=6708]Mikey[/MENTION], Joe might appreciate your stance on style. Have you considered contributing to Dappered by writing an article? Might be worth a thought.

Comment

Well stated, Vic, pretty much spot on.

As far as comparisons to other sites, the tone here is generally encouraging, even in the critical posts. However, there are members who come off on occasion as smug. Who knows, maybe their intent is lost in translation

Comment

this thread got philosophical quickly.

Comment

I know. Am I responsible, as the thread starter? Should I ask for us to bring it back on track? Or would that be un-preppy of me?

Comment

Here's my two cents:

I just like the way that the style looks on me. I think it works for me and I also like that a lot of the pieces that I have from ivy/prep/trad/whatever style are versatile and easy to mix with other pieces. I'm not a complete disciple of this or any particular style. I mix pieces from various styles, I just happen to pick a lot from this style. As for those sites, as some have mentioned, I pick and choose what I like. I do the same for this site and others.

Comment

I am born raised and still live in Rhode Island. Certain items are just staples here. Sperrys and chinos (pants/shorts) are 100% one of them. Vineyard vines, brooks brothers and other "prep" brands are just the norm. Even for regular non-style people. I've seen some horrible outfits but they still incorporate basic prep staples. Like boat shoes in 6" of snow or horribley oversized Ralph Lauren shorts and white sock with weejuns and shorts. We also have a lot of surf brands that are worn a ton too. Not by me just by everyone especially in my waterfront town.

Prep gets a lot of bad notions because everyone remembers that kid in high school or growing up that was a stuck up douche, parents had money, got a new Benz at 16, paid for college and law school and now is a crappy lawyer screwing people left and right for slip and falls.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
                  Prep gets a lot of bad notions because everyone remembers that kid in high school or growing up that was a stuck up douche, parents had money, got a new Benz at 16, paid for college and law school and now is a crappy lawyer screwing people left and right for slip and falls.
                  I think just the name "prep" gets a bad assocation. The "preppy kids" or "preps" in my high school wore hollister and abercrombie & fitch which is decidedely not ivy leage/prep style as we are referring to it. I guess you might call it "mall prep"?

Comment

Originally posted by Teej View Post
                    I think just the name "prep" gets a bad assocation. The "preppy kids" or "preps" in my high school wore hollister and abercrombie & fitch which is decidedely not ivy leage/prep style as we are referring to it. I guess you might call it "mall prep"?
                    Some of us call that Florida prep I kid. Sad that in some places that's seen as preppy. I'd prefer it be what Brent describes -- at least that is at times accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                      [MENTION=6708]Mikey[/MENTION], Joe might appreciate your stance on style. Have you considered contributing to Dappered by writing an article? Might be worth a thought.
                      I have no idea how I would go about that, and also no idea what I'd write about. I'd be up for it though :P

Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with this philosophical discussion; I think it's cool that we can have this conversation without people getting offended left and right.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCToon View Post
                        this thread got philosophical quickly.
                        I was going for literary. One of those lines is from a novel whose titular character is from North Dakota and moves east, reinventing himself.

Regarding Joe's posts, I think the idea behind them is not to dogmatically follow his style suggestions (or anybody else's for that matter), but use them as a means to discover what works for you at a price point that also works for you. Take for instance his sunglasses matrix. While Joe may be a fan of the Ray-Ban New Wayfarer, they do not fit my face as well as the "retro" Ray-Ban Clubmaster so I went with the latter over the former (I'm 1/2 miscellaneous white, 1/2 Taiwanese so I have a rather flat face with a low bridge, high cheekbones, and high ears).

Regards,
                        Vic
                        "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

Vic and Mikey, I would rather not see the thread devolve into a critique of Dappered, specifically the value of Joe's articles. Please discuss that among yourselves and not here. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
                            I am born raised and still live in Rhode Island. Certain items are just staples here. Sperrys and chinos (pants/shorts) are 100% one of them. Vineyard vines, brooks brothers and other "prep" brands are just the norm. Even for regular non-style people. I've seen some horrible outfits but they still incorporate basic prep staples. Like boat shoes in 6" of snow or horribley oversized Ralph Lauren shorts and white sock with weejuns and shorts. We also have a lot of surf brands that are worn a ton too. Not by me just by everyone especially in my waterfront town.

Ha! Everyone knew one of those kids from highschool!

Comment

This is kind of interesting: http://oxfordclothbuttondown.com/201...-preppy-chart/

I seem to be all over these categories, not strictly one or the other, although maybe mostly somewhere between ivy and trad.

Comment

Duvel,

Based upon that chart, I am decidedly "Ivy League" (12 points), followed by "Trad" (6 points), and "Preppy" (3 points). Some of the answers were shared across the categories, hence the weird math.

Of interest is the original article from Manlighteter.se, which lists retailers for each of the categories.

Trad: O’Connell’s, Flison, Cable Car Clothiers, L.L Bean, Brooks Brothers, Allen Edmonds, The Andover Shop och Mercer and Sons.

Ivy League: J. Press, Alden och Norman Hillton.

Preppy: Rahlp[sic] Lauren, Rugby, Cast Away Clothing och J. Crew.

Interesting to say the least.

Regards,
                                Vic
                                "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

Working...
                                X