No announcement yet.

Can we talk Ivy and prep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This guy is a huge lover of all things Prep/Ivy and makes most of his acquisitions through thrifting/trading;
    http://www.anaffordablewardrobe.blogspot.com/

Also runs a shop (physical and online) offering some of the goods he finds.

Comment

Yes, often an interesting read. I wish there were decent thrift and vintage shops around here. There's the usual SA and GW but nothing else.

Originally posted by Alex View Post
      This guy is a huge lover of all things Prep/Ivy and makes most of his acquisitions through thrifting/trading;
      http://www.anaffordablewardrobe.blogspot.com/

Also runs a shop (physical and online) offering some of the goods he finds.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
        When you start looking at style through the prep/Ivy prism, you begin to value clothes for their practicality and disregard those that are merely stylish. You also begin to appreciate clothes that have some tradition behind them. I'm looking through my closet and finding more than a few things that seem to me now to come out of left field.
        True of a lot of different styles other than Ivy/Prep. Take workwear for example

Comment

[MENTION=6057]Gump[/MENTION], true. Part of why I also like workwear.

Comment

While I realize a lot of this might be tongue in cheek, there are some gems in here: http://this-is-prep-that-is-not.tumb...about-prep-but

I like the part about the body. It makes me feel better, since, while I work out and eat right, I have never been able to develop the kind of super-muscled body that my brother has developed through his PX90 program. Maybe I can be okay just being toned and not overweight. LOL.

Comment

Duvel,

I'm of two minds when it come to this fashion movement (I would have used the word trend here but trend tends to offend). There is some value to many of the core principles (as I interpret them) as they offer to free you from following fashion trends with a "timeless" look. However, that look could also be seen as calcified and belonging to a particular context of time and place.

Additionally, after reading the various websites you've linked to, I get the same feeling as I do when I read blogs and posts by Dutch bike fanciers, hipsters, and various apostles of X, Y, or Z - that their author is a rather smug member of a mutually-reinforced clique who harbors the fear of being found out.

There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy, and the tired.

Regards,
              Vic
              "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

^^^^ amazing.

Comment

^^^^ Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vic View Post
                    that their author is a rather smug member of a mutually-reinforced clique who harbors the fear of being found out.
                    Basically sums up my feelings towards not just the "Ivy-prep" movement, but also the "workwear" movement, the "avant-garde" movement, and basically all other groups that repeatedly insist that their style is the best style out there, for reasons of "traditional/classic", "utilitarian", "futuristic aethestic nobody else understands", and the like, respectively. We don't put on our clothes in groups; style is a personal choice, and while it's one thing to offer your opinions on how something looks (especially when solicited), it's quite another to try and impose your general perception of style on somebody else.

Comment

[MENTION=8358]Vic[/MENTION] et al, I don't disagree. Very good points! I'm aware of all this, and I don't pretend that Ivy or anything else I'm interested in is the best.

I think it is very interesting, however. I think it definitely works for me, and gives me some solid four walls to go crazy inside.

And yes, the smugness. It's almost a given, isn't it. I kind of look over that and other things, and pick and choose what I like from these things.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                        We don't put on our clothes in groups; style is a personal choice, and while it's one thing to offer your opinions on how something looks (especially when solicited), it's quite another to try and impose your general perception of style on somebody else.
                        When you say "we", do you mean Dappered? Because I don't know that we're free from that same smugness or insistence that our (Joe's?) way is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Siepi View Post
                          When you say "we", do you mean Dappered? Because I don't know that we're free from that same smugness or insistence that our (Joe's?) way is the best.
                          I'd say, in fact, we are definitely not free from the same smugness. It's just a different shade of the same grey, in my opinion. However, what's the point of having an opinion and debating it if you don't think, in some way / at some level, that you're correct.

In respect of "prep", I find it amusing when people get smug about what is or isn't prep. It's somewhat ironic, if you think about the actual core principles behind the prep lifestyle, if you believe what you read.

Comment

I hope that nobody thinks that I think this is the be-all and end-all. That is certainly not my intent with this thread, and I certainly am not knowledgeable enough even to begin to assume any kind of smugness. I am merely interested in this admittedly arbitrary category as a framework for developing my style--meaning, a good excuse to buy more clothes!

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                              I hope that nobody thinks that I think this is the be-all and end-all. That is certainly not my intent with this thread, and I certainly am not knowledgeable enough even to begin to assume any kind of smugness. I am merely interested in this admittedly arbitrary category as a framework for developing my style--meaning, a good excuse to buy more clothes!
                              I don't think that you've come across as smug in this thread. I just think that Vic's commentary is spot on. I use your approach of picking and choosing things that I like when reading Ivy style blogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Siepi View Post
                                I sort of just meant humanity. And we're definitely not free from that smugness, although we're not as bad as some places. I also generally don't like any of the items Joe posts anymore, and while I appreciate the fits you guys post for what they are, the main reason I still hang around here is because this is kind of where my style journey started for me. I haven't worn a collar in ages, and I've worn designer sneakers every day for the last six months.

Comment

Working...
                                X