Friday Challenge 5/16/14: Tip your Square

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tdig View Post
    Damn how have I not known about Bedford and Broome before now!! And I just bought a new bow tie this week from Cordial Churchman...Looks like I may need to pick up one or two more now...Loving the Eldridge which appears to be the one you have also.
    I have the Eldridge, the Norfolk, and whatever the Madras one is called. They're great ties! I definitely like the cotton better than most other materials as I can wear them in more casual environments and still look good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jshackleford View Post
      Here's what I did http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/a...rd/photo-4.jpg
      Suit: JAB tailored fit glen plaid with minor alterations
      Shirt: Nordstrom Trim Fit French Cuff
      Bow Tie: Bedford and Broome from a Bespoke Post box "Made"
      PS: Bespoke Post from Blank Label Denim
      Cufflinks: Same Bespoke Post box, no clue on brand
      Shoes: Cole Haan
      Socks: J Crew
      Very nicely done. You got my vote so far.

I should buy a pocket square, but never found a need for one. I guess I should just buy to just have in case of these Friday Challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
        Very nicely done. You got my vote so far.

I should buy a pocket square, but never found a need for one. I guess I should just buy to just have in case of these Friday Challenges.
        I never wear a blazer/sportcoat/suit without one anymore. It just adds a little bit extra to any look.

Comment

I never wear a blazer/sportcoat/suit without one anymore. It just adds a little bit extra to any look.
          I see. I guess I'll have to study up and find out how to match ties with pocket squares. I have a red gingham tie by Sam Hober that I love. http://i.imgur.com/J3CyrF3.jpg Would a white solid pocket tie with red outline like this match well with it? http://tinyurl.com/na9qndq Same with a blue gingham tie, and the white solid pocket square with blue outline.

Edit: Oh, and I would probably wear it with a khaki/tan/navy blazer or a light grey suit.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
            I see. I guess I'll have to study up and find out how to match ties with pocket squares. I have a red gingham tie by Sam Hober that I love. http://i.imgur.com/J3CyrF3.jpg Would a white solid pocket tie with red outline like this match well with it? http://tinyurl.com/na9qndq Same with a blue gingham tie, and the white solid pocket square with blue outline.

Edit: Oh, and I would probably wear it with a khaki/tan/navy blazer or a light grey suit.
            My general rule of thumb is to avoid matching as much as possible. Stay in the same color family always though. I would do a navy PS with the khaki blazer and grey suit and a plain white or lightly patterned (Polka or pin dot?) cotton or linen ps with the navy blazer

Comment

I find I get more use out of my one chambray PS than all the others combined. Maybe it just matches my preferred color palette, but it certainly seems versatile.

Comment

Here's what I did http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/a...rd/photo-4.jpg
                Suit: JAB tailored fit glen plaid with minor alterations
                Shirt: Nordstrom Trim Fit French Cuff
                Bow Tie: Bedford and Broome from a Bespoke Post box "Made"
                PS: Bespoke Post from Blank Label Denim
                Cufflinks: Same Bespoke Post box, no clue on brand
                Shoes: Cole Haan
                Socks: J Crew
                Not that anyone in the real world would say anything, but I must say that I think these shoes are a bit too casual/country for this charcoal suit and a french cuff white shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by emynd View Post
                  Not that anyone in the real world would say anything, but I must say that I think these shoes are a bit too casual/country for this charcoal suit and a french cuff white shirt.
                  I do actually tend to agree with you.
                  My cocktail videos >

Comment

I agree as well. I think the formality of the outfit calls for at least dark brown wingtip oxfords, if not black captoes.

Comment

I actually agree, I just don't own any dark brown wingtips. I have a pair of burgundy cap toes, but they didn't fit the challenge. Brown wingtips are definitely my next shoe purchase. I also tend to break those rules a lot... I was attempting to keep it office business casual appropriate and business event appropriate without changing at any point.

Comment

This week's entry:

Wingtips: AE
                        PS: Land's End Business Outfitters xMrs. Dackman (aka: homemade)
                        Jacket: JC
                        Shirt: Stafford
                        Pants: JC
                        Last edited by dackman; May 15, 2014, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Nice dack! I wore the same jacket, medium grey slacks, McAllister's in walnut, and a blue shirt on Tuesday. So, yeah, basically the same outfit. However I didn't get a chance to snap a pic.

I'm beginning to think our wardrobes/styles are more than quite similar, [MENTION=6917]dackman[/MENTION]. I just gotta get my fiancé to start making pocket squares and I think I'm there.

Edit: is that a weekender with a red and blue strap? I like to wear something pretty similar. Oh boy...

Comment

[MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION], thank you sir. Yeah, I think I've counted at least 4 jackets and 3-4 pairs of shoes from past posts that we both own.

The watch is the Timex Military xJ. Crew, so yeah, basically a Weekender, just 5 times more expensive for almost the exact same watch. A pre-Dappered purchase and one of my first at J. Crew from a few years back. My only watch, and I just swap out the nylon NATO with a leather one every few days and depending on the outfit.

Watches are really the only thing that I don't spend on, been thinking of maybe getting a dress watch at some point this year, but it's not high on my priority list.

Comment

Like your outfit Dackman when you go for watches post a picture would love to see.

Comment

Been out of it all week. Forgot to pack my wings for travel, so no post from me this time around. Nice fit everyone.
                                "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                                I>0<I

Comment

Working...
                                X