Spier and Mackay Shirts Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g8trboi
    Hi all, I've been lurking for a while trying to learn about nicer stuff. Their website says "complete pattern matching." I noticed some guys over on styleforum think it's important to have the sleeve match the shoulder. Will the patterns on a Spier & Mackay shirt line up like this?

I usually don't spend that much on shirts but if I do I want to try to get the "best" stuff I can.
    It's true. We pattern match at all major points. So yoke, sleevehead and sleeve placket are all matched. As far as we know, we are the only company at this price point that offers this a on the OTR shirt. Of course, it goes without saying, our custom program is the same.

It's actually quite difficult as the sleevehead is sewn from the inside and the pattern is matched blind. Takes a very high level of skill to accomplish this. Hence the reason most OTR shirts do not, as they are assembled on a line by machine operators and not skilled tailors, that and its faster and cheaper to not match.

Cheers,
    Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Kittiwake30 View Post
      I ordered a shirt and the quality at that pricepoint is very good. Nice construction, especially the collar which is the perfect size and keeps its shape without chafing. Buttons are very nice as well.

I would happily surrender all my future dress shirt purchases to them but, alas, the lack of variable sleeve lengths makes it a no go for me and my T-Rex arms.

The company is very attentive to detail and customer service. I think it's one of those cases where the product itself is ahead of the marketing campaign to support it. Wishing them success.
      We are still quite young and small. As we grow and our volume increases, we will be in a position to offer multiple lengths. As Lchow1 said, we are working on a program at the moment to bridge that gap for the short term where you can modify the sleeve of an OTR cut to better suit your needs. Sort of a paired down custom shirt option.

Should be ready to go in a month or so.

Best,
      Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Lchow1 View Post
        [MENTION=12087]SpierMackay[/MENTION]: Welcome to the dappered forums! While you're here, I was hoping to take advantage of your eye. The shirts photographed were RTW and I was happy with the fit except for a couple of areas. I'm planning on making a custom order to adjust the sleeve length and width of the forearms by a bit. I love the collar roll and was also going to request a slightly wider spread and longer collar point. Do you have any suggestions to improve the overall fit based on the photographs (e.g. changing the height of the collar band, etc.)?
        Thanks for the welcome!

Other than the changes you mentioned, it looks like your right shoulder has a slight drop of about 1/4". The collar looks a tad tall, so a reduction of the band by a 1/8 - 1/4" would help it sit a bit lower and more in line with where your jacket sits.

BTW, the jackets are fantastic as it the polkadot tie!

Cheers,
        Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Lchow1 View Post
          [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION]: Thanks! I've been wanting to contribute more for a while, just a lack of time. I was thinking about writing up a review of trousers I've ordered from Luxire, Epaulet, and Howard Yount, but I'll wait to see if there's a need and if I have the time.
          Great write-up, please do the reviews for the trousers when you can. I've heard good things about each, and am particularly tempted to try out Howard yount...

Comment

FYI, Spier and Mackay has custom shirts on sale currently. If you buy two, it goes down $10 each and if you buy 3, $20 each. Most fabrics are from $79 to $99 so if you buy three, you can get them from 59 to 79. Also, this is CAD, so it's even less for those of us in the U.S. My first custom order arrives tomorrow, but I'm reserving the fabrics and putting a note in to wait on cutting the cloth until I finalize the measurements. Great deal while it lasts. No need to, but you if you use my referral you can get $10 off your first visit and I get $5 credit if you sign up.

Comment

[MENTION=12087]SpierMackay[/MENTION]

I noticed all your suits just went on sale. Does that mean new suits will be introduced soon?

Comment

Originally posted by jack7 View Post
                [MENTION=12087]SpierMackay[/MENTION]

I noticed all your suits just went on sale. Does that mean new suits will be introduced soon?
                The sale is just a lead in to our Black Friday/Cyber Monday Promo. Also, as we are still young and small and use this as an incentive for some to give us a try. We are done for designs for the season. We have some fill-ins coming in a couple of weeks. New designs will start rolling out in Feb for Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by SpierMackay View Post
                  The sale is just a lead in to our Black Friday/Cyber Monday Promo. Also, as we are still young and small and use this as an incentive for some to give us a try. We are done for designs for the season. We have some fill-ins coming in a couple of weeks. New designs will start rolling out in Feb for Spring.
                  ok gotcha! I'm a big fan of your contemporary fit. Was hoping for more suits with notch lapels that had contemporary fit pants as well. A little bummed that your dark grey contemporary and medium grey contemporary core suits only come with slim fit pants.

Comment

ok gotcha! I'm a big fan of your contemporary fit. Was hoping for more suits with notch lapels that had contemporary fit pants as well. A little bummed that your dark grey contemporary and medium grey contemporary core suits only come with slim fit pants.
                    Pretty much all the Contemporary Fit suits have Contemporary Pants, save for the core suits. Even those, the fill-ins, will be contemporary fit, with contemporary trousers. So both the Dark and Medium Grey. Should be in stock in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,
                    Rick

Comment

Originally posted by SpierMackay View Post
                      Pretty much all the Contemporary Fit suits have Contemporary Pants, save for the core suits. Even those, the fill-ins, will be contemporary fit, with contemporary trousers. So both the Dark and Medium Grey. Should be in stock in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,
                      Rick
                      Just made my first purchase. Love the contemporary fit. Will def purchase more in the future.

Comment

I'm hoping they have another promo soon! I missed out on the last one due to a business trip :/

Comment

Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
                          Just made my first purchase. Love the contemporary fit. Will def purchase more in the future.
                          Excellent! Glad you're happy. We worked hard to get Contemporary just right. A nice balance for athletic legs, without being billowy.

I'm hoping they have another promo soon! I missed out on the last one due to a business trip :/
                          Make sure you're signed up to our newsletter. Always have something going on this time of year!

Comment

Rick- any idea when there will be a restock of the trousers? Looking forward to picking up some sharkskin blue and light grey ones, but not much available for a 32in waist.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresbrando View Post
                              Rick- any idea when there will be a restock of the trousers? Looking forward to picking up some sharkskin blue and light grey ones, but not much available for a 32in waist.
                              I have a pair of Size 32 Medium Grey Flannels that are just a bit too tight. I debated ordering the 33, and should have. I could have them tailored but I think they will still be snug in the thighs, so I'm going to exchange them. So a pair of Size 32s may appear soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                                I have a pair of Size 32 Medium Grey Flannels that are just a bit too tight. I debated ordering the 33, and should have. I could have them tailored but I think they will still be snug in the thighs, so I'm going to exchange them. So a pair of Size 32s may appear soon!
                                [MENTION=8057]Jamie[/MENTION], what did you think of the Flannels? I've been debating picking up a pair... Would you say they are a mid-weight?

Comment

Working...
                                X