• Show
Clear All

• glen_delossantos
    replied

YW. Glad it worked out for you.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisW
    replied

I received the leather moto jacket I bought from Scout Vintage. I love it already. It is in great condition, looks cool and fits perfectly. Thanks again Glen for the tip off.

If anyone else is thinking of buying something from Scout Vintage I would thoroughly recommend it.

Leave a comment:

• moe
    replied

@Glen -

I'd like to add a few vintage items to wardrobe. I've registered for Etsy and will visit regularly. I appreciate your response.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• glen_delossantos
    replied

@Max - thanks! Although, I think Jason scored the biggest after that tip off for the synagogue thrift store. #jealous

Those shoes are post-cleaning/conditioning/polishing. They didn't look as nice when they first arrived. The downside is I lose a little of that vintage patina.

@Moe - Etsy is restricted to just a few categories, namely handmade stuff/art and now vintage items. Ebay is still the way to go if you're looking to score anything more recent than 1990.

The secret to thrifting, and anything else in life, is Patience + Persistence + Perseverence.

Leave a comment:

• moe
    replied

@jason -

Ok thanks for clearing that up. I kept thinking it was a members only auction-style letup, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

@moe, etsy started as a way for people to sell things they'd made. It's moved on to people setting up their own little storefronts for lots of things, but vintage clothing has become pretty popular. You just choose things and buy them like a regular online storefront.

Leave a comment:

• MaxMan
    replied

GOOD LORD...Glen you mastered the art of thrifting...THOSE SHOES ARE TREMENDOUS!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• moe
    replied

@Glen/@Jason -

I'm interested in Etsy. Can explain a bit how it works??

Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• glen_delossantos
    replied

Thanks for the link. I did the same thing you're doing but I had to give up because the fit of the pre-shrunk 501's don't even fit me properly. I ended up with massive diaper-butt, plus the rise was too high even after shrinkage.

You should keep a photo journal of your 501s. I really wish I did for my crappy H&M jeans. They are a year and a half old now and the transformation from unwashed to their current "distressed" state is noticeable, to say the least.

Here I am rambling about denim again. Sorry and good luck!

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

@ Glen - I'm doing a sort of half-and-half method I found online. I did the initial soak, wore them until they were dry to stretch them back out a little, and now I'm wearing without washing as though they were still raw. I've only had them for a couple weeks but the creasing is already pretty prominent, and a tiny bit of fading in the spots that get the most wear. I've lost a bit of the indigo dye so they won't ever look as drastically "personalized" as true raw denim, but that was a sacrifice I was willing to make to get the correct fit. As you mentioned, the regular 501 fit isn't the best. And Levi's guide to getting the correct size isn't particularly helpful, either. They tell you to size up in both the waist and the inseam, but I actually followed the advice I found online and sized 1" down from my 514 waist size. They were pretty tight to get back on after shrinking but they stretched back out and now the fit is pretty good, similar to the 514 with a slightly higher rise. I'm a 30.5" inseam, usually get 30" in Levi's, and I got these in 34" which has worked out pretty well. They're just a touch long, but perfect for wearing over boots and stuff.

Here's the most useful guide I found for shrinking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nDphA5eD9c

Leave a comment:

• glen_delossantos
    replied

@BenR - are you wearing them before you shrink them? I've always wanted to do that but the rise just kills me. I hate being short.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

I've got a couple new favorites....

Vintage Burberry trench from eBay... it's at the tailor's now, getting taken in at the sides and shortened to just above knee-length. The tailoring will cost me more than the coat itself did. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/theantiduck/P1060088.jpg

Vintage brown wingtips (possibly Freeman brand), thrifted for $8. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/theantiduck/P1060101.jpg

My other favorite new purchase is a pair of Levi's 501 shrink-to-fits that I got on sale. I'm in the process of breaking them in and enjoying the raw denim experience so far.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisW
    replied

@Jason: Thanks for the tip, I just bought a grey leather jacket from him (I've been looking for one for ages) I hope it works out well.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

I showed you this shop, right? Very cool stuff, but not as cheap:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NewtonStreetVintage

Leave a comment:

• glen_delossantos
    replied

@Jason - I frequent a store called "Scout Vintage" on Etsy. He's from Minneapolis and specializes in vintage finds. His stuff leans more "outdoorsy" which I'm totally into, but there are times when he sells more "city" items, like the wingtip shoes or italian boots (which I missed out on). He's a real class act. He accidentally posted the wrong shoe size for another pair of wingtips I bought and he was real apologetic and offered to pay for my return shipping before I even returned them, sorta like a "prepaid label". Shoes were packaged in shoe bags made out of old flannel shirt sleeves.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ScoutVintageMpls

I'm really loving Etsy over Ebay. There's a certain charm about the community that I appreciate. Harder to find things, though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X