Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much waist suppression is too much?

Hey all,

I have a 2 button suit made out of Wool( but it says 65% Dacron/35% Viscose) with an "M6 Drop"(Size is 42L). I want to take in the sides but my grandfather, who's been tailoring for decades(and used to sell suits for almost as long)says that it would not look good, because it would crease. I disagreed, however, because I have seen suits crease while the person's arms are at ease: http://www.nypost.com/r/nypost/blogs/popwrap/201010/IMAGES/27/chris.jpg

http://www.gq.com/how-to/fashion/200707/gq-primer-suit-your-shape-slideshow#slide=15

I would have my mother do it but she's too busy for the next few months. A sales associate in a B&M BB store said I have an athletic build so most things I have will have to be taken in at the waist. I agreed with him because it doesn't look like I want it to and doesn't give my body the inverted trapezoidal appearance. The suit is basically straight from my rib cage to the bottom of my suit. How much do you think I can push it? I'll post pictures if necessary.

Pics are necessary

Comment

Jason is right. I feel like I say that a lot on here...

If the suit fits like a sack, it will need to be brought in. Too much can cause the vent to flare in the back (especially if it is a single vented suit).

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

just as a side comment, the "65% Dacron/35% Viscose" composition is probably referring to the lining inside of the suit...

Generally you are fine darting the sides as long as the shoulders are a good fit...if the shoulders are also too broad, then you will look like an extra in an old Janet Jackson video...

Comment

Please delete this thread, already got my jacket's waist brought in.

Comment

Can leave it up like the others in case someone is searching for the answer to a similar question. =)

Comment

Working...
            X