Cuban beach wedding, gringo clothing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cuban beach wedding, gringo clothing.

I went to school in Miami, and made friends with a whole lot of Cubanos.
    One is getting married in June, down in Islamorada.
    I was all set to buy a linen suit, and the bride informed me that the clothing choices are super casual.
    The groom will be wearing a guayabera and stone color linen pants.
    No shoes allowed, sandals and bare feet only.
    Straw hats encouraged.
    This is not my forte, guys.

JCF currently has the 25% off Gilt code, and I was considering the Bedford linen pants in almond,
    finding a pair of brown leather sandals, and was on the fence about shirt color.
    White is safe, navy would be a nice change, and JCF also has a thin royal blue and white stripe linen shirt.

Opinions? Sandal help? Snide remarks? I welcome all of them. Thanks in advance (except for the snide remarks).

How close a friend? I'd call in sick. Seriously.

Comment

This sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I would ask one of the other male attendees what he's planning on wearing and go from there.

Comment

You're going to be outside probably in the sun on a beach in the Keys during summer. Last thing I would do is wear dark colors.

As for shoes, skip the sandals and wear some slip-ons that you don't mind getting full of sand.

Comment

Dear Tremperj,

What color guayabera is the groom wearing? These come in different colors, and some are more formal than others. Always worn untucked.

Comment

Sounds like fun! If we're talking guayaberas and bare feet, I think the dress code has been officially thrown out the window. You're even beyond "resort casual" dress code.

I would go with light khakis (rolled to the ankle) and a white button up shirt (either short sleeved or long sleeved with the sleeves rolled). As for the shirt, I prefer a pinpoint fabric (for the climate) and a button down collar (to look clean and casual), but that's up to you. Something like this...

... and here's a cheap hat from H&M to round out the look:

http://www.hm.com/us/product/25423?article=25423-A
            Last edited by alan; April 14, 2014, 11:16 AM.

Comment

And if you're looking for sandals, just know that flip flops will kick sand everywhere so look for something with a buckle or just go barefoot (or carry the flip flops while on the sand).

And if you go with flip flops, make sure they're leather rather than foam rubber. While I don't shop there for anything else, American Eagle actually has very reasonably priced leather flip flops ($25-30) in a variety of colors/styles. They charge half of what other people charge.

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/categor...tId=cat6940227

The ones with the white suede straps look good if you don't mind a canvas foot bed. Otherwise, they have several other great options in leather foot beds.

And if you're not typically a flip flop wearer and have long toes, consider sizing up. Otherwise you might be hanging off the front.
              Last edited by alan; April 14, 2014, 11:23 AM.

Comment

I'd go with linen trousers in khaki, almond, or light grey, and a shirt in seersucker, linen, poplin or madras - in this case, slightly loose might be better than perfectly fitted. Any kind of leather flip-flop. A broad-brimmed hat, maybe a Panama like the one Alan pictured. For the beach, I'd probably cuff the trousers and roll the sleeves up on the shirt, but I'd tuck the shirt in because, y'know, I have standards.

I feel like long-sleeved is better in this case because you can maintain at least a modicum of formality and, in case you feel yourself baking, you can always roll down the sleeves and flip up the collar to protect yourself from the tropical summer sun.

Ben

Comment

^ I like this approach. The part I couldn't abide would be the no shoes policy. I just can't do sandals of any kind. They kill my feet, and I feel exposed. I'd show up anyway in a pair of light CVOs or at least some boat shoes.

Comment

My wife has been wanting to see Cuba, but travel restrictions are stiff. But I bet attending a wedding is a caveat to the rules. We just need to make friends with some Cubans...

Comment

Originally posted by akosmowski View Post
                      Dear Tremperj,

What color guayabera is the groom wearing? These come in different colors, and some are more formal than others. Always worn untucked.
                      Not sure at the moment– I think its white.

Originally posted by alan View Post
                      And if you're looking for sandals, just know that flip flops will kick sand everywhere so look for something with a buckle or just go barefoot (or carry the flip flops while on the sand).

And if you go with flip flops, make sure they're leather rather than foam rubber. While I don't shop there for anything else, American Eagle actually has very reasonably priced leather flip flops ($25-30) in a variety of colors/styles. They charge half of what other people charge.

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/categor...tId=cat6940227

The ones with the white suede straps look good if you don't mind a canvas foot bed. Otherwise, they have several other great options in leather foot beds.

And if you're not typically a flip flop wearer and have long toes, consider sizing up. Otherwise you might be hanging off the front.

Not a bad suggest– I really am not a sandal guy. Especially flipflops. I think its the sound they make that I can't stand.

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                      I'd go with linen trousers in khaki, almond, or light grey, and a shirt in seersucker, linen, poplin or madras - in this case, slightly loose might be better than perfectly fitted. Any kind of leather flip-flop. A broad-brimmed hat, maybe a Panama like the one Alan pictured. For the beach, I'd probably cuff the trousers and roll the sleeves up on the shirt, but I'd tuck the shirt in because, y'know, I have standards.

I feel like long-sleeved is better in this case because you can maintain at least a modicum of formality and, in case you feel yourself baking, you can always roll down the sleeves and flip up the collar to protect yourself from the tropical summer sun.
                      This is a great suggestion. I like this look alot. Here's what I was eyeballing online:

Linen shirt, pinstripe or classic plain white:

Almond linen/cotton pants:

The shirt is still a slim fit, because the normal fit makes me look like I am swimming in it.
                      You guys are awesome. Really really appreciate all the help.

Comment

Dear Tremperj,

If you are not in the party, then I would say what you have would be appropriate. If you are in the party, I'd wear a guayabera.

Comment

Originally posted by akosmowski View Post
                          Dear Tremperj,

If you are not in the party, then I would say what you have would be appropriate. If you are in the party, I'd wear a guayabera.
                          Not in the party, just a close friend! Excellent.

Comment

Working...
                          X