Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddington
    replied
    My Levis fit looser than my other pants. I wear a 32x34 in BR, Bonobos, J Crew, etc. My Levis are also 32x34, but they are noticeably looser in the waist than my other pants.

EDIT: I should note the Levis are 513s, and the others are BR modern slim, Bonobos slim, and J Crew ludlow.

Leave a comment:

• batkins9
    replied
    Originally posted by dpark View Post
    This seems like an odd thread to revive for this comment. Anyway, you're comparing a 36 to a 34. Even if both were "true to size", I'd expect a pretty significant difference in fit. Given that Levis seem to be sized more "true" than most brands, this is definitely not surprising. Your American Eagle jeans likely measure 3-4 inches larger in the waist than your Levis.
    Agreed on the age of topic. To the jeans, Levis has several different fits. I really like the 513 and 514 fits. In 513, I wear 34/32; for 514, I wear 33/32. Either way, comparing a 36 to a 34 is really apples to oranges.

Leave a comment:

• dpark
    replied
    Originally posted by Autelesk View Post
    I recently bought a bought a pair, size 36 waist from American Eagle, that will fall off without a belt. I got two pairs from levi that are a size 34 and they are WAY too tight. I can button all the buttons, but they do not fit.
    This seems like an odd thread to revive for this comment. Anyway, you're comparing a 36 to a 34. Even if both were "true to size", I'd expect a pretty significant difference in fit. Given that Levis seem to be sized more "true" than most brands, this is definitely not surprising. Your American Eagle jeans likely measure 3-4 inches larger in the waist than your Levis.

Leave a comment:

• Autelesk
    replied
    I know what you mean

Originally posted by jicarv View Post
    I had not purchased Levi's in a long time and recently ordered a few pairs in my regular size (32x32), but they were too tight. I've been buying all my jeans from Gap and BR, so I had no recent experience with Levi's. All my other pants (including jeans, cords, dress slacks and chinos) are 32 waist. Do Levi's run small on the waist?
    I recently bought a bought a pair, size 36 waist from American Eagle, that will fall off without a belt. I got two pairs from levi that are a size 34 and they are WAY too tight. I can button all the buttons, but they do not fit.

Leave a comment:

• Kyle
    replied

I have button fly 501s in a 36 and they fit just as tight and as well as my other jeans (not Levi's) that are 34

Leave a comment:

• jicarv
    replied

Update: per the advice provided by you guys about the jeans stretching, I decided to keep the 32x32 and after a few wears, they fit perfect. Thanks guys!

Leave a comment:

• Big_Scooter
    replied

Levis stretch a lot, in my experience. Wear them around for a few days. I'm currently debating putting a pair of 514s in the dryer because they are getting diaper butt.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Chareth - I agree about vanity sizing, especially with women's clothing, but it's normal for the measured size of the garment to exceed your body's measured size because it's going over your skin. You don't need an extra 2.5 inches! But a half inch or inch more means it isn't constricting.

Leave a comment:

• salo
    replied

My waist is bigger than my hips though due to my belly (still working on that, making progress). That said I haven't done a comparison to determine exactly what is going on there...maybe I should.

Your latter point could certainly be the case...I was just guessing ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Chareth
    replied

I'd say 514s are a pretty typical low rise for men that are intended to sit on the hips.

The reason you had to size up compared to the 505s is because 514s sit at the hips, whereas 505s are intended to sit higher up closer to the waist. And the fact that 505 are just plain bigger for the same marked size.

Leave a comment:

• salo
    replied

@chareth, I didn't say high rise I said higher rise. They are higher than typical low rise. I wouldn't call them high rise.

Maybe I'm wrong but I did have to size up in them vs. 505s for example.

Leave a comment:

• Chareth
    replied

frost, what you typically wear is not true to size. Most brands are vanity sized, and obviously, as evidenced by this thread, the amount of vanity sizing is variable.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashion/pants-size-chart-090710

Also, I recently asked J.Crew for actual waist measurements on their Ludlow and Aldridge pants. Here's what they gave me:

Ludlow

30 - actual 32.5"

31 - actual 33.5"

32 - actual 34.5"

Aldridge

30 - actual 32.25"

31 - actual 33.25"

32 - actual 34.25"

Leave a comment:

• Chareth
    replied

Salo, I think you must be confusing the 514 with a different cut. If the 514 is high rise, I'd hate to see what you think are low.

Leave a comment:

• frost
    replied

I typically wear a 32x30 (I'm 5'9" - 170 lbs. - Athletic Build)

Gap I have to size down

Levi's I'm true to size

J.Crew is either 32x30 or 33x30, and occasionally a 32" inseam depending on how off they are

Dockers I'm a 34x30 for some reason

Leave a comment:

• bassopotamus
    replied

I've got a couple pairs of 501s and one 517, and to me, they run smaller than other brands I have had (LEC, Gap, Lucky), but I can't say if Levi's run small, or the others run big.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X