Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying First Suit - Third time's the charm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chareth
    replied

Acoustic, what kind of fit are you looking for? More JCrew Ludlow fit trendy, or more conservative and traditional?

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Yeah, the sleeves are about 1/2" too short. You can get away with it if your shirt sleeves are only about 1/2" longer than your jacket sleeves, but correct length shirt sleeves will show about 1" and look awkward.

The coat length looks pretty good. I'd just take it to the tailor for the sleeves.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

FWIW, the jacket will drape better in the front if you break those "X" threads in the back along the vents. That might give a better feel for the sizing (for you and us). Also, can you take a picture with the shirt tucked in? The untucked shirt makes it hard to find the wasitline, which in turn makes it hard to judge the length. (At least for me. I don't want to speak for anyone else.)

Sorry for all the back and forth...

Leave a comment:

• Acousticfoodie
    replied

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Seems like it's pretty much back and forth on the sleeve length. Would it help to see how the sleeves fall without a shirt? Here is the length of the sleeves with the jacket by itself:

Someone also asked to make sure the jacket was long enough for my torso. Does this look good enough?

Thanks again for the feedback!

Leave a comment:

• salo
    replied

I don't think it's a good idea to try to judge jacket length relative to where the fingertips fall, that's pretty much discredited due to individuals having different length arms relative to their torso. The basic idea is it needs to cover your rear end. OP should be able to easily judge if that is the case or not.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

Thanks for covering that, JC. I had written the same basic thing from my phone, but it didn't post for whatever reason and I really didn't feel like writing it again. :-)

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

You can always call their customer support and ask for measurements of the one you have and the long for comparison. If the long's sleeves are 2 inches longer they'll be too long for you, but if you're going to get the sleeves altered anyway maybe that's what you want to do.

Leave a comment:

• Chareth
    replied

Is this the factory version of the Ludlow? Also, acoustic, are you planning on using this as an interview/business suit? And what is your sleeve length, btw? You seem to have longer arms, which might also be what is contributing to me thinking your jacket is too short.

If it's the same cut as the Ludlow (which would explain why the jacket is cut so high) and you're not planning on using it for conservative purposes, I'll change my opinion and I'd say it's fine. Just make sure your shirt sleeves are also short-ish like in the second pic and make sure your pants fit well and are tapered enough. Also make sure you go with no or very small break on your pants.

If you're planning on using it for interviews or business meetings, I'd say while I don't think anyone would say anything, people would notice that you're a little more fashion forward than the usual. Whether that's a good or bad (or neutral) thing would be all in the context of the industry you work in.

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied

I agree with the few people saying I think the sleeve length is fine, so long as you'd be comfortable showing cuff. I prefer showing some cuff, so I'm good with it.

The jacket is a shorter cut, so a long may be worth trying if you can go try it on in store or something. Don't think that's a necessity, from what we can see in the pictures though.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

Is it possible to get a pic from the back, use a flash if you have t because we need to see any creases that might result from pulling. Im starting to think the arms look fine after all. It would be safer if they were a bit longer, but they probably still work. I think you have your tie hung low in a pick so its making your jacket appear shorter than it really is.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think a L will be too long. The jacket is a bit short, but it appears to mostly cover his rear. He certainly can't do the finger curl but he may just have long arms.

Leave a comment:

• salo
    replied

The cuffs are certainly on the short side, I think some people do wear them that way though, it's a matter of preference to some exent. It does seem better in the pic with the white shirt than the ones with the blue shirt. I'm still learning about this stuff though so you should probably listen to others more than me

Leave a comment:

• Hardrain
    replied

I can't tell if you just have really long arms, but that first pic makes it look like the jacket could easily be a few inches longer. I know some people like the looks of a short jacket, but on your only suit I would recommend going with something that isn't TOO cut and "trendy."

I know it is painful to have to send j. crew stuff back with the shipping charges, I just returned my factory suit, but I think if you want the trimmer cut of the 38 you probably want a L. As posted above, it is too bad they don't have a 39. I wear a 41 jacket and 31 inseam in pants so I know the frustration of having to settle for an inch more or less

Leave a comment:

• OnlyShawn
    replied

I think the sleeves look fine...but then, I like my sleeves shorter than the norm. They'll be fine if you own it.

Leave a comment:

• Acousticfoodie
    replied

L cut? But I'm only 5'"10.5'! Wouldn't an L cut be way too long on the body? Yes a 39R would probably be most ideal with they only have even number cuts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X