"Good thing I'm wearing a suit!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Good thing I'm wearing a suit!"

I'll call this segment "Good thing I'm wearing a suit". I figure this can be a thread where you find that your tendency to dress "above and beyond" the dress code for your work/social setting has left you in a more favorable situation. Like it or not, whether you care or not, other people will form an opinion of you by the way you dress. This thread acknowledges that tendency. Being prepared for that inevitability can't hurt.

I don't anticipate that this will be a particularly active thread, but I figured it would be interesting nonetheless. I'll go ahead and start...

Three guys from the corporate office in Denver (including the CIO) decided to make a surprise visit in our Dallas office today. We literally had several seconds of prior notice before they walked through the door...

Good thing I'm wearing a suit!

I like this idea, because it seems like it actually happens.

A local bar that I go to on a regular basis has an upstairs, which until a few weeks ago I had never been to. I was in the bar after a late interview (so I was in a suit), and saw people in suits going upstairs.

I figured I should check out what it was, since I had never seen anyone go up there before.

Turns out they rent the space out for events. It was a wedding reception, and as soon as I walk in I get a drink handed to me. Awesome. Proceeded to talk to a bunch of randoms and get free drinks all night. "Good thing I'm wearing a suit"

Comment

@Ben that is the best response I can imagine seeing in this thread.

Comment

LOL Ben. Very nice. I think you just killed this thread. :-)

Comment

I found myself in the company of several victoria's secret supermodels. They actually said "good thing you're wearing a suit!" and proceeded to remove their clothes.

You, Ben, have just been story topped. In a completely factual way...

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

dammit, I wanted this thread to go places.

Anyway, senior year of college myself and 5 of my friends created "cougar night" which we tried to fit in to our schedules on a monthly basis. As you may have speculated, this consisted largely of the 6 of us suiting up, and going to the nicest bar in town. This was the bar where you couldn't get a drink for under twelve bucks - but more importantly the bar where all the attractive, single, thirty-something women frequented.

Most of us can't remember most of the nights, but "good thing I'm wearing a suit" crossed my mind on the majority of them I'm sure.

Continue, please.

edit: thank you greg. This thread -> going places

Comment

I had a grad school interview today. To break it up from all the guys in black and dark grey suits I wore a nice sport coat that is somewhat grey with medium grey wool dress pants. A white, custom dress shirt and a dressier wool tie with my walnut AE Daltons. So not technically in a suit. Either way, the situation as follows.

I was chatting with a group of interviewees, I left the group. An attractive young interviewee strayed from the group with me:

Her: "You look really nice. I love your outfit."

Me: "Thank you!"

Her: "You are really well dressed!"

Me in my head: Good thing I'm wearing a suit! (sort of)

Comment

Nice! Did you get a number?

Comment

Ha. We had a nice chat for a bit. I don't seek #s in single-serving situations you know? A nice compliment nonetheless.

Comment

It's not seeking when she approaches you. ;-)

Comment

Who says it was a single-serve situation? You could both wind up there for school...

Comment

... and if you don't make it in and she does, you missed your chance at a sugar mama. :-O

Speaking of grad school, I've got a busines presentation course starting today. We've all been assigned to give a presentation on our first day to form a sort of base line for ourselves. I hope everybody else remembered their suits because I've got mine!

Comment

It's just weird to meet people in real life.

Comment

So I went to lunch with my wife today - an unusual thing so we don't work work near each other. I ended up getting back from lunch pretty late. Apparently I had a meeting that I didn't even know about because it wasn't in my Outlook calendar. It was one of those rare meetings that the president of the company was actually attending.

Most of the meeting attendees were in a rush because they had another meeting immediately after ours, and the fact that I was late didn't help. We did finish on time, but the prez did rib me by blaming me for the late start. Someone chimed in and said, "Yeah, but he's wearing a tie."

Good thing I'm wearing a suit!

Comment

My only "GTIWAS" situation was more of a "Good Thing I'm Wearing a NICE Suit" situation.

I was doing a mock trial competition last fall. I can't remember if we were on prosecution or defense, but the prosecution had rested its case and the judges called for a five minute recess. We all stood around outside the courtroom chatting. The conversation lulled for a bit, and a good-looking 1L woman who was serving as a witness randomly turned to me and said, "I like your suit a lot, by the way!"

I was wearing my mid-grey, glen plaid "go to" suit from Banana Republic, with a bright blue shirt and a textured purple tie. All the other men were wearing the standard boring black/charcoal/navy suits in less flattering cuts, with white shirts and red/black/navy ties.

Good thing I put some thought into my suit!

Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X