Tweed jacket/khaki pants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tweed jacket/khaki pants?

So I'm keen to up my style a bit and thought I'd try to pair my reliable Bonobos Graham Slackers khakis (pressed and clean) with a grey tweed jacket. Maybe a gingham shirt and solid tie, or a navy shirt, or some such. A nice v-neck sweater if it's cold. You know, just something to dress it up for dates with my wife. Except my wife, she's not so keen on it. Says it's a mismatch, casual pants with jacket. What am I doing wrong?

A tweed is a casual jacket and can go with casual pants or dress pants. I guess it depends on the tweed though... How rough is the weave?

My bigger concern would be the tone of the grey. Is it darker grey? You don't want them to be the same brightness, so a light grey wouldn't work as well with light colored pants.

Comment

I think your wife is wrong. Tweed was designed as sportswear - to be worn outdoors for hunting or riding horses - and is noted for its durability, water resistance, and warmth. Although we think of all sport coats as being "dressy" rather than casual, tweed jackets are actually definitely on the casual end of the men's jackets spectrum. I think they go fine with chinos. I wear my tweed blazers with chinos or jeans all the time.

Ben

Comment

I was looking to pair this:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_special_sizes/tall/sportcoatsouterwear/PRDOVR~17972/17972.jsp

With this:

http://www.bonobos.com/graham-slacke...ining-boot-cut

Comment

Should be fine. Tell your wife some guys on the internet said she's wrong.

Comment

Agree with the commenters, I think you're good to go. Additionally, I find that the Graham Slackers are less casual, relatively speaking, than most chinos (absent actual dress slacks which are khaki in color). They have a sleek look to them and aren't a rough fabric or anything.

Also, I wear a jacket like that with jeans, or really any sort of pants, so maybe your wife and I just disagree.

Comment

Works for me!

Comment

I would say in this day and age you are able to get away with it, but traditionally, a man's trousers are supposed to be of a heavier or equal weight compared to the jacket you're wearing. Khakis with a wool jacket would have been a faux pas 50 years ago. Again, you could probably get away with it today.

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...-trousers.html

Comment

Agree with basically everything here. You aren't doing anything "wrong" per se. Some people will say you are "getting away with it" while others will say you are being "fashion forward." Certain people will say you are being "trendy" while others will say you have "style." It's all about perception.

I've worn those exact chinos with a similar colored tweed jacket. It's not my favorite combo but it's decent. I'd rather see it with a blue jacket if you were going for a going doing out/date uniform, but I also really like blue. Just a preference.

Comment

Any recommendations for blue blazers? Brass buttons aren't my thing. Maybe something relatively unstructured?

Comment

http://thisfits.me/post/14925937300/i-know-you-were-on-the-hunt-for-the-perfect-blue-blazer

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-h...&origin=search

Comment

Lighter gray is sometimes a tough match...I don't thing the problem is how dressy it is; it just seems that the khaki is particularly light to pair with that jacket. If it were more of a dark brown tweed, you would probably get away with it more easily.

The blue blazer is the classic choice. My suggestion is to not worry about the buttons...find the best blazer you can get for the money and then have a tailor replace the buttons with whatever you want.

Comment

In my opinion, the J.Crew jacket + Bonobos pants don't really match. Tell your wife I think she is right.

Something seems "off" about mixing those colors & fabrics. Just not cohesive to me.

Comment

I'm on the wife's side. But if you do wear it wear it with confidence.

Comment

Try it as post a pic here.

I think the shirt would be a big factor in this. A white Oxford or blue or...a lot of things. Plaids, checks. You could experiment to see what pulls the combo together.

Comment

Working...
                              X