Jack Purcells: Old versus new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack Purcells: Old versus new

Sometime over the past year or so, Converse really uglied up the design of Purcells. Gone are the metal shoelace ends, the inscribed logo on the tongue, and the indented smile (it's more painted on looking now, not indented, as it was). The air vents are also less functional, basically hidden by the insole.

Basically it looks much less crafted than it used to, and more mass produced. I've been wanting to get a new white pair for spring, but the redesign is turning me off.

Does anybody know if there's a company that happens to sell the old version?

Converse quality has been plummeting ever since Nike bought them out.

Comment

I looked around for a while last year and couldn't find the old ones. I found a few sellers on Ebay that seemed like they had the old ones in the pics but when pressed about exactly what I'd be receiving it sounded like they were shipping out the new ones. I ended up just buying the newer ones.

Comment

Are you okay with the new ones? Really saddens me that Converse had to mess up a good thing.

Comment

I never had the older versions, I just read about them. I have no issues with the new ones but then again I have nothing to compare them to.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
            Does anybody know if there's a company that happens to sell the old version?
            I lucked out and found an old version last year at a Converse Outlet by my house. It was the last pair in white and happened to be in my size. It's probably a long shot at this point, but maybe you could contact an outlet store and see if they have any left in inventory?

Comment

I got a new pair at an outlet in March and I love them, mine have functional air vents but regular laces.

They are also burgundy tartan so maybe a different shoe.

Comment

Thanks. I stumbled on some Canadian stores online that appear to sell the old model. I'm going to give them a ring to see if this is really the case. They're priced like regular Purcells.

Comment

They do. But $25 to ship from Canada! Yikes. That makes them a $95 shoe.

Comment

I remember paying around $30 for all stars. Now can't find them below $45. Damn Nike.

Comment

$45 still is not bad, though.

Does anyone know, is this the typical charge for shipping from Canada?

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                        $45 still is not bad, though.

Does anyone know, is this the typical charge for shipping from Canada?
                        It's usually 35 - 50 for shoes from you to us so I suspect that is about right.

Comment

Just got a pair in from Mr. Porter. Despite the picture on the site, they are the new ones. Back they go.

Comment

Originally posted by AFCForever View Post
                            It's usually 35 - 50 for shoes from you to us so I suspect that is about right.
                            Damn. Well. I do want them. The good stuff costs, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by IronRinn View Post
                              Just got a pair in from Mr. Porter. Despite the picture on the site, they are the new ones. Back they go.
                              I noticed other sites are doing that. Zappos was for a while until shoppers complained. Maybe Converse/Nike will get the message if we stop buying these things.

Comment

Working...
                              X