Vintage: Rolex vs. Omega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vintage: Rolex vs. Omega

If you could buy one watch: a vintage Rolex Datejust or Omega Speedmaster...which one would you purchase? Why?

The Omega, the Rolex seems too heavy to me. I just prefer the shape of the Omega.

Comment

[MENTION=11235]Domino[/MENTION] I would have to disagree 100%. He asked for a vintage datejust and speedmaster. Datejusts are 36mm vs speedy 42mm. Speedy is a chronograph and is much larger.
      [MENTION=4723]zythe[/MENTION] I can weigh mine out and let you know in grams what they weigh. Correct answer is both. I have a 1965 1601 DJ in white gold and stainless. A 1963 1600 in two tone yellow gold and stainless. I also have a 1973 Speedmaster professional moon watch.
      They are both very different watches. The speedy is more of a casual watch chronograph depending on what movement you get c321 or c861 either way are very robust movements with historical significance. I will say if you buy one used it probably will need a service and chronographs are a bit higher in price.

Datejust is a true dress watch. classy, smaller and can better fit under a dress shirt cuff. The datejust personally looks a little funky in a t-shirt and jeans. The speedy fits right at home in most occasions and can be worn with a suit although it is not a dress watch.

The Speedmaster I recommend is a 861c movement one. Do not get the automatic reduced speedmaster go for the professional. It is a stainless watch with no precious metal. Manual wind watch = less moving parts. Bit more to service. Easy to set no date or day function.

Vintage Datejust I assume you are talking pre-1973 1600 or 1601 datejust models. They came with a 1570 movement which is a non-quickset movement. Very robust reliable and accurate. Once again vintage might need a service but independents are out there.

I will say my rolex is much lighter than my speedy pro. To me do you want a dress watch or a casual watch.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Vintage Seamasters I also love but they are dress watches.

Comment

I was thinking less about the actually weight and size, and more the proportions and shape. It just looks bulkier to me, based on the shape of the case, I know nothing about the two of them in person.

Comment

I feel my speedmaster wears large a bit larger than 42mm IMO. Perfect size for my wrist. Domed crystal and chronograph attribute to the thickness. The vintage datejusts also have a acrylic domed crystal adds thickness but still a true dress watch. I don't have the exact measurements lug to lug for either watch on hand but I am sure a quick google search will turn that up for you.

Here are some good pictures of both. http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Rolex-Datejust

Comment

Here is a Submariner (39mm) vs Speedmaster (42mm)
            https://warosu.org/data/fa/img/0073/...6285077313.jpg

Comment

Speedmaster, even though I have small wrists.

Comment

I don't know what vintage you are considering, but recommend the Datejust. I am not knowledgeable about the technical aspects, so I'm just talking about looks and feel.

I own a 2003 Rolex Datejust (bought new), but not a Omega Speedmaster. I previously owned an Omega Seamaster (a james bond version) bought new, but I sold it. I still wear my Datejust often. I think it is classier and more versatile than an omega speed or sea master. The Rolex is good with suits, and still ok with jeans and a button up shirt. Wouldn't wear it with shorts though.

Just my opinion.

Comment

I will more than likely buy both but at different times. Ideally, I want a watch that I can wear with a suit. I have friends that have both the Omega Speedmaster Pro and the Rolex Datejust. They both are beautiful watches. I am leaning toward the datejust, but the models I have seen are about $800-$1,000 more than the Omega.

Omega went to the moon btw...

Comment

Really? I don't see a datejust as being more versatile than the speedmaster. Casual outfits really anything with short sleeves just looks odd with the datejust. I've done it a couple times just never really loved it.

Comment

I like the Datejust better than the Speedmaster on purely aesthetic grounds. I just like the relative simplicity of the Rolex.

Comment

Presently, *if* I were to own one watch, it would be a Speedy Pro - Moon Watch.

Also presently, I'm just not financially comfortable with that move... Yet.

Comment

Yes. Don't get me wrong, they are both beautiful watches.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...2963ed05e8.jpg

Comment

Moral of story both amazing watches and both fill a great roll. The most sold chronograph of all time - speedmaster and the datejust re-invented dress watches in the 1960's. See what good deals you can find. I waited months on til I finally found a speedmaster thst was the one I wanted. Same with the datejusts took my time and found the two I wanted for good deals. Great deals aren't out there as much.

Comment

What did you do?

Did you go the eBay route? A watch dealer?

Comment

Working...
                              X