Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your best coffee-making technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tdig View Post
    My method is very similar except I do a finer grind and I do a run of hot water first through the filter to pick up any paper notes and to warm the chemex. Ill usually let the hot water sit for a short time if it gets to boiling to keep from burning the coffee which gives me time to run the water through first.
    Good idea. I'll try that. Sometimes I do notice a slight paper taste.

Comment

Keurig with a coffee grounds container, so I can take my own coffee... can't handle waiting more then 2 minutes when my brain needs to shocked into running...It's kinda like a lawnmower in the morning...

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
        Good idea. I'll try that. Sometimes I do notice a slight paper taste.
        Yea it works. Picked it up here:
        http://stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides/chemex/
        My cocktail videos >

Comment

I usually use my single-serving Keurig (I fill it to the max, 10 oz. typically), with the "My K-cup" reusable filter, so I can use whatever specific grounds I choose.

As of late that choice has been two tablespoons (i.e., a full My K-cup) of *Schuil's* (a Meeeechigan company) free-trade organic, single-origin, 100% premium grade or better Arabica "Nicaragua Costin" humma-humma - made with filtered/bottled water - with two tablespoons of (organic, if we have it) heavy whipping cream.

My morning coffee hasn't tasted this good in a lonnnnnnnng time; like forever.

I require two doses per morning, at a minimum.

On occasion, if I'm out of my choice grind, I'll either use some Starbucks dark blend (Italian, French, etc.), or just plop in one of the myriad branded K-cups that we have in the carousel.

I've also been sticking to no coffee past noon (or really, in most cases, past that morning routine above). I have a few cups of hot tea (usually Green or Earl Grey) during the day at work; taking the place of the additional afternoon coffee I used to drink.
          Last edited by yoyorobbo; March 4th, 2014, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I use my little machinetta every morning. The beans are whatever fair trade organic whosit my csa feels like giving me.

I invariably have a shot of espresso at work, since, bring a restaurant, we have a decent machine, and I need something to keep me going till midnight.

Comment

I drink my coffee with heavy cream, not half and half.
              I wish I could "like" this. I drink my coffee with heavy (whipping) cream when I have it on hand, otherwise with whole milk. On weekends, when I have it, I sometimes use a dollop of vanilla ice cream.
              Ben

Comment

I drink my coffee with heavy cream, not half and half.
                Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                I wish I could "like" this. I drink my coffee with heavy (whipping) cream when I have it on hand...
                Me too! I actually only recently made this change. Used to be half&half kinda guy. Full(er)-fat is soooooooo much better!

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                  Me too! I actually only recently made this change. Used to be half&half kinda guy. Full(er)-fat is soooooooo much better!
                  Use unsalted butter and some coconut (or MCT) oil and it's Bulletproof Coffee. I dunno about all of the claims made about this stuff, but it tastes pretty damn good and does fill you up. That said, I drink my coffee black most of the time.

Comment

Technique and method doesn't much matter if your beans aren't ground properly. Ditch the blade grinder for a burr grinder, and eventually ditch the french press for pour over or Aeropress.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                      Use unsalted butter and some coconut (or MCT) oil and it's Bulletproof Coffee. I dunno about all of the claims made about this stuff, but it tastes pretty damn good and does fill you up. That said, I drink my coffee black most of the time.
                      I went the bullet-proof route for a couple weeks - and although I *did* enjoy it - I came back to a somewhat more standard morning coffee routine, just with the tweaks/specifics I mentioned earlier.

When I was doing it, I used Kerrygold (grass-fed) unsalted butter and some Spectrum(?) organic coconut oil. I had to purchase a micro-blender too, as it was pretty crazy trying to mix that thick butter and Crisco-ish coconut oil. the blender helps make it frothy, kinda like a cappuccino. It's hard to believe that it can actually be good, but it really was. Just not something that stuck with me, I guess.

I've been digging Mark Sisson's take on the whole primal thang - and even he drinks his coffee with organic heavy whipping cream (and actually sometimes a little (1 tsp.) sugar - GASP!). He said he doesn't go the bulletproof route - he likes to chew his calories.

I also forgot to note that sometimes I add a shake of ground cinnamon to my cup. Sometimes.
                      Last edited by yoyorobbo; March 4th, 2014, 05:05 PM.

Comment

I stumbled on using heavy cream several months back when the coffee I ordered at a restaurant came with it. I couldn't get over how much richer tasting it made the coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by DrBenji View Post
                          Technique and method doesn't much matter if your beans aren't ground properly. Ditch the blade grinder for a burr grinder
                          Truth.

Also, I've experience that water makes an incredible difference. Here in College Station, our tap water has a very high mineral content and tastes pretty bad. For a long time, I used Brita filtered tap water for my coffee. However, I wasn't getting the results (especially brightness and acidity of flavors) that I wanted. I experimented with several brands of bottled spring/mineral water and settled on a local one. On the rare occasion that I've forgotten to buy bottled water, I've been amazed to remember how much of a difference the Brita water brings.

Comment

as a person in the coffee industry, I probably have too much to say on this subject. I own a chemex, aeropress, melitta pour over, toddy brewer, French press and a vacuum pot. the most important thing is the freshness of the coffee. anything over two weeks post roast is most likely already stale. personally, I prefer to not drink anything past about ten days or so. two things I read above were spot on: the baratza maestro grinder, while pricey for a casual coffee drinker, is definitely worth the money in the long run; and brewmethods is a great link.
                            Last edited by tfs; March 4th, 2014, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                              On weekends, when I have it, I sometimes use a dollop of whisky.
                              FTFY.

Comment

Any lower-priced burr grinder recommendations?

Comment

Working...
                                X