Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your best coffee-making technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LCDR View Post
    I will try increasing the amount of coffee beans and reduce the brewing time. Is it better to produce fine grounds or course grounds?

Where is the best place to buy a Chemex? Does that produce the same effect as using a coffee cone like marathon uses?
    Got mine from Williams and Sonoma.

Comment

This is how I make my coffee. Not as cool as what most of you are doing. Picked it up almost unused at a yard sale for $20. Finally able to make a really great flat white.

Comment

What burr grinders are you guys using?

I drink mostly pseudo-espresso from a moka pot and use a blade style grinder. The variation in grind size is pretty damn annoying. One of these days i'll splurge and get a pump driven espresso maker too, but one thing at a time.

Comment

I use a Capresso. I likely got it for much less than $99, so maybe there are better values. I am happy with it and have had it for six or seven years.

Comment

As far as methods:

For the Chemex, 6-7 scoops of french roast beans (about 1 tbs in a scoop). Medium grind in a Black & Decker coffee grinder. Grounds poured into a Chemex filter (unbleached). Volume of tap water equal to point on Chemex where the wood collar starts, brought to a boil in a kettle on a gas burner, then immediately poured over the grounds. Initial pour is no more than about 1 cup of water, basically to soak the grounds. I let this soak through and stand for about a minute, then pour as much of the rest of the water as the filter will take. This usually means about 2 more pours.

I drink my coffee with heavy cream, not half and half.

Comment

Got a french press and grinder for Christmas that I enjoy on the weekends. Grinding beans in the mornings could wake my son up = death for me.

I usually do 5 scoops of beans for a full press pot. Boil the water on the stove, pour up to the silver line on the pot. Stir and let sit for 4 minutes. Pour and enjoy.

Comment

I use a french press and manual grinder. I adjust the setting for a coarser grind and let it steep for about 6-8 minutes due to the size of the grounds. I used to let it sit for just 4 minutes but the extra few minutes allows for a more robust extraction. I drink mine black.

Comment

I'll just leave this here.

Brew Methods.

Comment

I'm a black coffee drinker and i've had the french press + coffee grinder for years and although I was satisfied, the coffee was never as good as a nice coffee shop. My brother recently got me an Aeropress for Christmas and I was blown away. I didn't know it was possible to make coffee this good at home and I haven't touched my french press since. I still can't believe that this thing only costs $30. If you are interested, you can google the crazy ass Aeropress special techniques and competitions out there but I use the basic brewing method outlined in the instruction manual.

Comment

We use a regular old coffee maker with paper cone filter. I was very into coffee and had all the toys but the only time I could really tell a difference was if there was a paper filter involved or not and out of personal preference, I like the paper filter. I used to have pretty good taste buds and could pick things out in different coffees from different regions but I stopped. There are really only 3 regions (Latin America, Africa, Asia) and they all have distinct characteristics but then once you dig down some there are different notes and such for each region.

I can't tell a difference in waters used but I do drink my coffee black. My French Press allowed you to have more of the oils and particulates from the coffee (which ended up hurting my stomach) and after a while I switched back to a filter. I enjoy my paper filter.

I will also leave this here...if you start preaching about coffee this and coffee that and you judge the shit out of people but put some cream in your coffee...your opinion on coffee is worthless.

Comment

Central American beans and a French Press for me as well. For those of you with a French Press, i highly recommend investing in an electric kettle, well worth the $20-$30. A few times a week I will venture out for a very well prepared cappuccino but it has to be from the right type of place. I blame living in LA for the last two years, the preponderance of hipster coffee shops makes access to truly excellent espresso drinks very easy. I would love to learn this practice at home but the money and time investment is just too much for me right now. Plus, I think it's really hard to get something even close to a brew done on a $10,000 commercial machine operated by someone very experienced.

Definitely agree on 11 minutes being WAY too long, 4 minutes is the sweet spot from what I read and experience.

I have been very interested in an Aeropress for awhile but haven't taken the plunge quite yet.
                        "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

It's also worth mentioning that it depends on how you drink your coffee. I take mine black and I think that Chemex is best for that application. If you put in sugar and cream, french press coffee might be better for you because of how bold it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ZachG View Post
                            It's also worth mentioning that it depends on how you drink your coffee. I take mine black and I think that Chemex is best for that application. If you put in sugar and cream, french press coffee might be better for you because of how bold it is.
                            I'm with you ZachG. I drink my coffee black and I role with a small "6" cup Chemex. I usually drink 3-4 cups a day but come spring/summer I usually migrate to at least 1-2 iced coffees a day. Cold brewing is insanely easy and delicious.
                            My cocktail videos >

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                              As far as methods:

For the Chemex, 6-7 scoops of french roast beans (about 1 tbs in a scoop). Medium grind in a Black & Decker coffee grinder. Grounds poured into a Chemex filter (unbleached). Volume of tap water equal to point on Chemex where the wood collar starts, brought to a boil in a kettle on a gas burner, then immediately poured over the grounds. Initial pour is no more than about 1 cup of water, basically to soak the grounds. I let this soak through and stand for about a minute, then pour as much of the rest of the water as the filter will take. This usually means about 2 more pours.
                              My method is very similar except I do a finer grind and I do a run of hot water first through the filter to pick up any paper notes and to warm the chemex. Ill usually let the hot water sit for a short time if it gets to boiling to keep from burning the coffee which gives me time to run the water through first.
                              My cocktail videos >

Comment

I've used the Aeropress for years now and love it. Easy process, easy cleanup, and makes terrific coffee/espresso. You can eve reuse the filters several times if you wish. Only time it's not great is if you need to make coffee for several people, but for one or two cups I think it's hard to beat.

Comment

Working...
                                X