Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond* on BBC (America)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond* on BBC (America)

Anyone else checking out this show? I watched the behind the scenes promo over the weekend and just watched the first ep (both DVR'd from last week), and am really enjoying it thus far. Too bad it's only a four-part miniseries. Wish they'd make it into a regular show. Cool story, interesting look at Bond-inspiration, and some pretty cool wardrobes, IMO:

Here's the BBCA link. Might be something you'd like to check out.

Big fan of Bond so I'm watching. I think the show is alright, I've seen 2 episodes so far and plan to watch the third tonight after work. Outfits are cool. There is a lot of criticism of how much artistic liberty they're taking, which I'm trying to ignore and just enjoy the show. I'm not really sure how good the show would be if you took away the element that he wrote James Bond, though. Also, while I love Dominic Cooper, I think he was somewhat of a poor choice for Fleming. The girl who plays his blonde love interest and rides the motorcycle, however, is a total babe.

The way it jumps around, I think it could have worked better as a show - as a 4 part mini series I kind of expected a more coherent plot line. Still, overall I enjoy it.

Comment

Wshew! Thought it was just me and my alter ego.

Yeah, I get ya on most of those points; but as you also noted, I too am just sitting back, enjoying it as a cool (IMO) show.

I guess I simply like the subject, the era, and the overall look. Acting is solid enough for me. BBC gets most of my viewing time these days (BBC/PBS/AMC/TCM/ESPN).

Comment

I'll have to catch up with this. We don't have a tellie or cable so I'll have to go to Amazon Prime.

Comment

They (BBCA) had some video up on their site (maybe just the first ep?) back when I originally posted this. Not sure if they've added more or not.

Comment

Thanks. I checked the BBCA site and don't see any episode vids, but this looks really interesting. Gotta catch up with this.

Comment

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglopheni...iz-james-bond/

Apparently I'm Daniel Craig.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                And I'm Roger Moore; how charming!

Comment

crap. lazenby.

Comment

Originally posted by pratyk View Post
                    And I'm Roger Moore; how charming!
                    This is what I got. I played around with it a bit more and managed to get Craig by choosing alcohol whenever possible

Comment

Got Daniel Craig.

Comment

It's interesting that something from such a bad writer turned into the franchise it did.

Comment

I got Roger Moore. Too heavy on the ladies I guess. Watched episode 3 of Fleming and it was pretty enjoyable. It's interesting to see his struggle of wanting to be in the field, where the action is.

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                          It's interesting that something from such a bad writer turned into the franchise it did.
                          I don't consider his writing bad. He has an interesting and unique writing style that is very descriptive and I've enjoyed. There is definitely a reason that the Fleming Estate has published James Bond continuation novels and sought out authors who wrote the novels 'in the style of' Fleming, trying to recreate his prose. For their time, they were considered outlandish and crude by the literary world, but they were also highly acclaimed in popular culture. Sales of Bond novels reportedly skyrocketed after JFK named From Russia With Love as one of his favorite novels. While I haven't read every Bond novel, I can say that the Blofeld trilogy, in particular, is an entertaining read.

Notably, as well, the best Bond films are also usually those that take the most from the novels. And the better ones are usually when the director at least talks about wanting to bring Bond back in line to the literary character. So, I wouldn't write Fleming off simply as a bad writer. A lot of modern best sellers today make Fleming read like Shakespeare. About two years ago when I was stuck in the hospitalI read a James Patterson book, talk about BAD.

Comment

Fleming can become a little too descriptive and long-winded for my tastes. Okay, he's not a "bad" writer. I guess I'm just ruined from being an English major.

Comment

SPOILERS

So the series is over. I really enjoyed episodes 1 & 3 and didn't like 2 & 4 much. The finale felt cheesy to me. When he is searching for Ann and that music? And they crammed too much in. All that 'tension' and then him and Ann are resolved as married in one of those afterlogues? But what bothered me and confused me the most was how he names James Bond. They have that scene with his brother, the description of the name game, and how he wants to name him Harry Aiken - or something. Which anyone who knows how Bond got his name knows is incorrect... but that right before the credits roll, we do actually see James Bond's book, Birds of the West Indies.

I think the miniseries could have made a decent television show, but as a mini series it just jumped around too much. For those with Netflix, I saw they recently added a documentary on Fleming that was an enjoyable watch. I would love to see a TV show that was closer to what they portrayed. The show could be similar the 4th episode where we saw the entire adventure from his point of view, and it was made clear that he embellished made up a lot of it. Maybe at the beginning of each episode they could start it with a quote from one of the novels and you'd see how what he did inspired a scene or a book. I don't know, I'm just spitballing, but I think it was a missed opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                              X