y'all watching anything good on tv?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
    I struggled through Iron Fist (its solo season) because I knew the Defenders was coming. It is by far the worst of the four stand-alones, so it's not surprising he's the weak link in Defenders. It never really got a good flow going like the others did, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt since it's the most surreal of the four and all about that zen life, etc.
    (A friend of mine suggested I write a pilot script for Reverse Iron Fist and ship it to Netflix: a wealthy Chinese family crashes into the Rockies; their daughter is taken in by a secretive order of cowboys and taught the mystical ways of the gunslinger; she emerges from solitude to track down the people who murdered her parents: the heirs to Al Capone, who are all trying to steal the Manhattan Project's secret superhero notes.

It was a joke until we realized that show would be incredible.)

Comment

• I finished Defenders the other day and I was left very underwhelmed. For a show with only 8 episodes it takes far too many to even get all of the characters in the same room working together. "The Hand" is by far the worst "villain/big bad evil" from these Netflix/Marvel shows and I couldn't have been more disinterested in the stakes (legit question, other than the stuff with "the substance" what was their endgame? I can't even remember already).

Getting to see Matt, Luke and Jessica on screen at the same time was great but reminded me just how much better their individual shows were.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
        I finished Defenders the other day and I was left very underwhelmed. For a show with only 8 episodes it takes far too many to even get all of the characters in the same room working together. "The Hand" is by far the worst "villain/big bad evil" from these Netflix/Marvel shows and I couldn't have been more disinterested in the stakes (legit question, other than the stuff with "the substance" what was their endgame? I can't even remember already).

Getting to see Matt, Luke and Jessica on screen at the same time was great but reminded me just how much better their individual shows were.
        Frankly, all I want is more Jessica Jones. I'd definitely watch more Daredevil and Luke Cage, but JJ was on a whole other level.

Comment

• I think I'm just super hero fatigued. I feel like Daredevil is a good show. It seems well written, acted, and shot. But it has taken me like a year and a half to get through the first 6 or so episodes. I'm also curious about the Punisher story line in season 2 (the trailers looked great), but I'm not sure I'll ever get there. I guess I need to dip my toe into Jessica Jones because it does seem the most highly regarded.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deke View Post
            I think I'm just super hero fatigued. I feel like Daredevil is a good show. It seems well written, acted, and shot. But it has taken me like a year and a half to get through the first 6 or so episodes. I'm also curious about the Punisher story line in season 2 (the trailers looked great), but I'm not sure I'll ever get there. I guess I need to dip my toe into Jessica Jones because it does seem the most highly regarded.
            I think in part it's because she's much less of a stereotypical superhero story arc, but agree overall. I personally enjoyed Daredevil (both seasons), but it falls prey to the typical hero plots in a lot of ways. I'd personally rank them JJ, DD, LC, IF. Agree that DD and LC both were filmed in their own unique ways that separated them a bit from the rest of your network tv hero shows.

Which don't get me wrong, I occasionally watch a few Arrow or Flash episodes on netflix, but I also wouldn't call them 'good tv'.

Comment

I think in part it's because she's much less of a stereotypical superhero story arc, but agree overall. I personally enjoyed Daredevil (both seasons), but it falls prey to the typical hero plots in a lot of ways. I'd personally rank them JJ, DD, LC, IF. Agree that DD and LC both were filmed in their own unique ways that separated them a bit from the rest of your network tv hero shows.

Which don't get me wrong, I occasionally watch a few Arrow or Flash episodes on netflix, but I also wouldn't call them 'good tv'.
              I really liked Daredevil too! The first season more than the second -- I think Daredevil really needs Fisk, both as written and acted. (The best part about Daredevil, I thought, was how Fisk was nearly as plausible a protagonist as Matt.)

Luke Cage was solid too, but not my cup of tea. THAT SAID, four episodes into Defenders, I'm really enjoying Luke a lot. His 70s-swag-meets-90s-hip-hop schtick really, really works against the backdrop of everybody else's grimdark.

Nothing wrong with shows for entertainment! When it comes down to it, for a half hour of comfort TV on a Tuesday, I'll always pick Parks and Rec or MASH or something. But I think Jessica Jones especially got beyond entertainment and into genuine art, esp. given how bluntly it talked about PTSD and toxic masculinity. Kilgrave might be the most terrifying villain I've ever seen because he's a reflection of what men are, so often, just allowed to be. Shudder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hierophant View Post
                (A friend of mine suggested I write a pilot script for Reverse Iron Fist and ship it to Netflix: a wealthy Chinese family crashes into the Rockies; their daughter is taken in by a secretive order of cowboys and taught the mystical ways of the gunslinger; she emerges from solitude to track down the people who murdered her parents: the heirs to Al Capone, who are all trying to steal the Manhattan Project's secret superhero notes.

It was a joke until we realized that show would be incredible.)
                I'd watch that.

Somewhere on the internet I read someone propose a theoretical Indiana Jones 5 featuring Shia LeBouf as the bad guy and Short Round attempting to repatriate stolen antiquities to their country of origin. The climax of course has a fist fight and Short Round yelling "they belong in a museum!"

Originally posted by Hierophant View Post
                Frankly, all I want is more Jessica Jones. I'd definitely watch more Daredevil and Luke Cage, but JJ was on a whole other level.
                Signed, yes. JJ was fantastic. David Tennant plays one of the baddest bad guys I've ever seen.

Comment

There is something to be said for shows like Arrow or Flash. My wife watches all these shows. The good thing about Arrow and Flash is that I can come into the middle of a season or even the middle of an episode and watch it with her and enjoy it for what it is. I don't have to pay attention to every single detail. A show like Jessica Jones, you really need to watch the whole thing.

Comment

• At the same time you can get behind Luke Cage as a black narrative driven by black characters and it was clearly meant to be given that treatment (seriously, give me a white character in that series who sticks around longer than two episodes). Really goes to show that if you want diversity in comics, don't tokenize mainstream narratives, instead integrate minority narratives into the mainstream.

Daredevil was too slow for me and I never finished Iron Fist. The defenders was fun, just not enough to go anywhere. The Hand is a boring enemy for a finale fight. Especially if they've been playing with at least two of our characters (3 if if you count Diamondback as a Hand pawn) for a season each. I get that it's TV and the narrative isn't all "avengersy" but if Agents of Shield and Agent Carter (yes, I know) can deliver blockbuster finales and somewhat engaging plot then i think Netflix should be able to deliver too. They clearly had the capital and they had the characters. I saw more interesting action in Marco Polo.

Either way. I'll watch Jessica Jones or Luke Cage again if they bring up another season. I guess I'll sit down for a Defenders redux too.

Otherwise, aside from GOT I watch last week tonight and am currently on my 16th run through of the West Wing though I cut it with a solid weekend of Band of Brothers after last weekend as comfort TV

Comment

• Originally posted by thedrake View Post
                      There is something to be said for shows like Arrow or Flash. My wife watches all these shows. The good thing about Arrow and Flash is that I can come into the middle of a season or even the middle of an episode and watch it with her and enjoy it for what it is. I don't have to pay attention to every single detail. A show like Jessica Jones, you really need to watch the whole thing.
                      I agree. I watch some cop dramas for the same reason; much of the time I'm watching tv, I don't want to have to think a ton while doing so, or be afraid I'm going to miss some minutiae that'll change the game.

Comment

• Ray Donovan is back for another Season... and I am a couple weeks behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by thedrake View Post
                          I gave up on Arrow and Flash a year or so ago. I was getting dismayed at the simplicity of the story lines and the plots just kept going around and around in circles to my mind. Which is a shame too because I was with both shows from the beginning. And having collected the comics as a kid it was cool to see them brought to life on the TV.

I'm making a concerted effort to spend less time in front of the idiot box and more time creating. By that I mean working on photography, writing, getting my website updated, etc. I'll still watch my Sunday shows though (Bob's Burgers anyone?) but during the week I'm going to try and cut back a bit.

Comment

• I usually watch FRIENDS.

Comment

• Great British Baking Show season 4 ready steady Selasi

Comment

• Originally posted by Hierophant View Post
                                Great British Baking Show season 4 ready steady Selasi
                                Is it on Netflix??
                                Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X