No announcement yet.

y'all watching anything good on tv?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started Ozark over the weekend. Netflix original with Jason Bateman. He's a financial planner who finds himself trying to launder money at the Lake of the Ozarks for a drug cartel. It has a definite Breaking Bad theme---boring guy turns to crime to protect his family blah blah blah. But, it's well done, and Bateman's character is definitely different than Walter White (so far less sinister, less ambitious).

Bottom line, it's a great show, and my sleep schedule will suffer until I manage to finish all ten episodes.

Comment

Queen Sugar's second season has got me hooked right now.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Dubs View Post
        I started Ozark over the weekend. Netflix original with Jason Bateman. He's a financial planner who finds himself trying to launder money at the Lake of the Ozarks for a drug cartel. It has a definite Breaking Bad theme---boring guy turns to crime to protect his family blah blah blah. But, it's well done, and Bateman's character is definitely different than Walter White (so far less sinister, less ambitious).

Bottom line, it's a great show, and my sleep schedule will suffer until I manage to finish all ten episodes.
        Ozark is indeed excellent. I was hesitant at first, but I love it. Very different than breaking bad imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
          Ozark is indeed excellent. I was hesitant at first, but I love it. Very different than breaking bad imo.
          Just watched the first episode last night (after hearing nothing but positive reviews). So far so good, and I'm looking forward to seeing the show settle into the new environment. It's fun seeing Jason Bateman in serious roles (especially since I'm simultaneously rewatching the original seasons of Arrested Development so I can finally watch the Netflix season(s)).

Comment

I've been watching Ozark and it's all right but to me it lacks the narrative thrust and character depth/development of a show like Breaking Bad. None of the drama feels particularly real or urgent to me.
            Ben

Comment

I just finished season two of The Expanse and it's been great.

Comment

I'm looking forward to season 2 of Stranger Things coming to Netflix in Oct.

Comment

I gotta hand it to amazon prime for killing it in original content. Last few weeks I've been watching: Goliath, patriot, fleabag, catastrophe, and defenders (on netflix). About to start the man in the high castle and I have high hopes.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                    I gotta hand it to amazon prime for killing it in original content. Last few weeks I've been watching: Goliath, patriot, fleabag, catastrophe, and defenders (on netflix). About to start the man in the high castle and I have high hopes.
                    Just started Catastrophe the other night and definitely digging it. Sneaky Pete was another solid Amazon Prime show (maybe already mentioned earlier in this thread). I've been meaning to check out Man in the High Castle for ages now.

Comment

Originally posted by Deke View Post
                      Just started Catastrophe the other night and definitely digging it. Sneaky Pete was another solid Amazon Prime show (maybe already mentioned earlier in this thread). I've been meaning to check out Man in the High Castle for ages now.
                      Indeed I mentioned sneaky pete earlier this summer! I'll let you know how I like man in the high castle, I should have time to start that later tonight.

Comment

Sneaky Pete and Patriot both got better as the season went on. Catastrophe season 1 was hysterical, season 2 was meh, and season 3 is more cringe than laugh so far. Man in High Castle didn't pull me in after 1 episode--maybe I'll give it another shot. Still need to check out Goliath. Binge watching Orphan Black on Prime right now.

Comment

Watched the first episode of The Defenders last night. Starts off sloooooow. Not much plot in the first episode. It does feel disjointed, like different people are writing for the separate characters and they use different lighting for each character which enhances that feeling. So far the Jessica Jones and Cage scenes are the best, Daredevil was pretty good. I read that it takes a couple episodes to get up to speed which is tough because it's only 8 episodes. I'm going to give it a chance just because the original Jessica Jones season was soooo good.

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
                            Watched the first episode of The Defenders last night. Starts off sloooooow. Not much plot in the first episode. It does feel disjointed, like different people are writing for the separate characters and they use different lighting for each character which enhances that feeling. So far the Jessica Jones and Cage scenes are the best, Daredevil was pretty good. I read that it takes a couple episodes to get up to speed which is tough because it's only 8 episodes. I'm going to give it a chance just because the original Jessica Jones season was soooo good.
                            A big part of the hole in the Defenders is that Iron Fist is terrible. Terribly written, terribly acted, appropriative. It's all bad. Stops the whole thing in its tracks whenever he's on-screen and Luke Cage isn't actively making fun of his ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Hierophant View Post
                              A big part of the hole in the Defenders is that Iron Fist is terrible. Terribly written, terribly acted, appropriative. It's all bad. Stops the whole thing in its tracks whenever he's on-screen and Luke Cage isn't actively making fun of his ass.
                              I struggled through Iron Fist (its solo season) because I knew the Defenders was coming. It is by far the worst of the four stand-alones, so it's not surprising he's the weak link in Defenders. It never really got a good flow going like the others did, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt since it's the most surreal of the four and all about that zen life, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                                I struggled through Iron Fist (its solo season) because I knew the Defenders was coming. It is by far the worst of the four stand-alones, so it's not surprising he's the weak link in Defenders. It never really got a good flow going like the others did, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt since it's the most surreal of the four and all about that zen life, etc.
                                I tried. Really I did. But 45 minutes into the thing, between Danny being Appropriation Man and the relentless small-scale aggressions against marginalized people (I guess now we're making fun of people who are homeless with mental illnesses) I just couldn't.

I ended up reading a Buzzfeed recap and rewatching Daredevil s1.

Comment

Working...
                                X