y'all watching anything good on tv?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deke View Post
    My biggest gripe with season 2 is it took like 5 or 6 episodes for any kind of recognizable story line to take shape. It was just a hodge podge of information and characters thrown at you for over half of the season. That being said, I still didn't hate it. The last few episodes provided at least some sort of pay off for having to slog through a lot of seemingly nonsensical and unrelated scenes at the beginning. I'm not saying it's necessarily worth it (especially if you loathed the first 3-4 episodes), but I certainly don't regret watching it.
    I understood that there was likely at least some payoff coming but I was at the point that I would have paid not to watch Vince Vaughn attempt to brood anymore.

Comment

All this talk about HBO shows and I haven't seen VEEP mentioned. Phenomenal comedy, Julia Louis-Dreyfus is a treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
        I tried with the second season, but I quit after three or four episodes. I just couldn't stick it out - and I never do that. It was terrible in every possible way. The characters were uninteresting, the acting was (mostly) hot garbage, the story was convoluted and gave me no reason to care at all, there was a lot of attempts at mysteriousness that just wound up being silly. I really enjoyed the first season, but the second was like a poorly done parody.
        This ^. This is why I have not tried to dive in to season II. Season I was just so good. Great character development. Creepy as hell plot. The whole thing just worked. I fear that picking up season II will just ruin how great season I was/is. Plus Collin Farrell really gets on my tits.

Comment

Originally posted by ninpb View Post
          Also, what took it out of me was watching a whole episode of Glenn holding a backpack with his hand. There's zombies in every corner, you need your hands free man! Hollywood thinks they are just too cool to two-strap it.
          I agree, but these kids today....

We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
            I understood that there was likely at least some payoff coming but I was at the point that I would have paid not to watch Vince Vaughn attempt to brood anymore.
            Originally posted by DocDave View Post
            This ^. This is why I have not tried to dive in to season II. Season I was just so good. Great character development. Creepy as hell plot. The whole thing just worked. I fear that picking up season II will just ruin how great season I was/is. Plus Collin Farrell really gets on my tits.
            I agree Vince Vaughn really didn't help much, but I thought Colin Farrell actually did a solid job with his character.

I think the keys to appreciating Season 2 are that (1) it was meant to be a hollywood noir style show, so tons of it harkens back to older crime dramas, etc. and are filmed in the same manner, and (2) for the reasons in (1) and many more, you simply can't compare it to Season 1 because it is totally disjunct (it has nothing to do with Ssn 1 except they kept "True Detective" as the name of the show).

You might not like noir (I can't say it's my favorite), but they took the genre and updated it to current times pretty well in my opinion. I also enjoyed Season 1 a lot more, but I don't think Season 2 was terrible--just different.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
              I agree Vince Vaughn really didn't help much, but I thought Colin Farrell actually did a solid job with his character.

I think the keys to appreciating Season 2 are that (1) it was meant to be a hollywood noir style show, so tons of it harkens back to older crime dramas, etc. and are filmed in the same manner, and (2) for the reasons in (1) and many more, you simply can't compare it to Season 1 because it is totally disjunct (it has nothing to do with Ssn 1 except they kept "True Detective" as the name of the show).

You might not like noir (I can't say it's my favorite), but they took the genre and updated it to current times pretty well in my opinion. I also enjoyed Season 1 a lot more, but I don't think Season 2 was terrible--just different.
              I thought the season sucked. In my opinion Vince Vaughn was the shoes lone saving grace. I like his character.
              My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

The Night Manager is coming to a close this week. Gotta say they have done a great job of building the suspense. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha King View Post
                  I don't check metacritic or anything, but I never hear anyone talk about it. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem to get the buzz that other hbo shows like, say, Game of Thrones does. And it is sure as hell not as critically fawned over as Mad Men.
                  Yup, ratings only mean so much. Arrested Development was incredible, and with high ratings, but I only know a handful of people who have even heard of it, let alone a watched it.

I'm thoroughly enjoying Silicon Valley thanks to this thread. Finished season 1 over the weekend, and about to start season 2.

Comment

thanks for the night manager rec, up to the last episode now, really enjoying it

Comment

I checked out the pilot for AMC's "Preacher" the other day. I'm not at all familiar with the source material, but so far it seems pretty fun.

Comment

Ok I finished The Night Manager. Not bad. Not bad at all. Hopefully AMC will do some other short series along the same lines as this one.

Comment

Peaky Blinders season 3 popped up on Netflix the other day. I enjoyed the first 2 seasons so I watched ep1 yesterday and ep2 this morning and I'm enjoying it so far.

Comment

Just started Bloodline season 1. Only two episodes in but intrigued. Think I will keep watching.

Comment

Originally posted by winghus View Post
                              Peaky Blinders season 3 popped up on Netflix the other day.
                              Best news I've heard all day. My weekend is now planned.

Comment

Originally posted by winghus View Post
                                Peaky Blinders season 3 popped up on Netflix the other day. I enjoyed the first 2 seasons so I watched ep1 yesterday and ep2 this morning and I'm enjoying it so far.
                                Just started the first season this week, I'm enjoying it very much. Too bad they only have 6 episodes a season though.

Comment

Working...
                                X