No announcement yet.

y'all watching anything good on tv?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game of thrones. Bosch. Bloodlines. Billions.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by DocDave View Post
      Trying to get in to Fear The Walking Dead. Just isn't doing it for me (so why do I keep watching it you ask?). Good question.
      I've all but given up on TWD. Huge fan of the graphic novels, but the show has slowly lost its edge as it continues.
      We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

• Originally posted by Sideswipe View Post
        I gave this a half-dozen episodes or so, but the ratio of Annoying-Teenager Characters to Actually-Interesting Characters was way too high, so I bailed.
        This^^^ Definitely agree with you on that. Plus the female lead in the show REALLY gets on my tits. So I don't know. I might follow it through until the end of this season and then take a pass on the rest.

Originally posted by APinNC View Post
        I've all but given up on TWD. Huge fan of the graphic novels, but the show has slowly lost its edge as it continues.
        Not me. I thought this season was great. The shows started off slow and kept building and building until the finale. I kept waiting for things to go off each week and when they didn't, all that stress I had over the characters just passed over to the next week. While I do agree the quality of the show has declined as original writers and directors have left or been punted, I still enjoy it.

Comment

• Originally posted by APinNC View Post
          I always DVRed entire seasons and just binged. This last season, I watched all but the last 3 episodes and haven't really been itching to finish. I actually felt a little guilty as I love this show and zombies in general. I'm not sure if its the edge that it lost or that I'm just tired of another finale with a fight with another group of survivors.

Also, what took it out of me was watching a whole episode of Glenn holding a backpack with his hand. There's zombies in every corner, you need your hands free man! Hollywood thinks they are just too cool to two-strap it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ninpb View Post
            I'm not sure if its the edge that it lost or that I'm just tired of another finale with a fight with another group of survivors.
            This is exactly where I'm at with TWD (stopped watching after the Terminus episodes) and why I pulled the plug early on FTWD, since it seems to be headed in the same direction (plus the aforementioned annoying teenagers).

Just seems like they're stuck in short-form storytelling in a long-form medium. I'm not an expert on the zombie genre by any means but in movie form, but the ones that I've seen seem to hit the same essential beats:

Act 1: Ignore Early Warnings and Fail to Take Sensible Precautions, aka the "You know how I feel about guns!!!" stage

Act 2: Fight or Flight, aka the "Get everyone to the roof/chopper/boat/safe zone!!!" phase

Act 3: The Social Commentary Epiphany, aka the "Guys, the real enemy is actually the military/other people/consumerism!!!" phase

A TV series could have been a chance to move away from the formula and do tell some long-form stories, maybe with different groups of survivors, about adapting to the aftermath. Maybe something along the lines of World War Z (the book version). Instead each story arc of TWD is just the same cycle over and over again, with new rival factions dropped in as needed.

Disclaimer: I realize that I'm basically asking them to make a different show than the one they set out to make, which probably isn't fair, but just seems like a lot of wasted potential in how the show has played out.
            “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
            "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

• I've heard the past season of TWD was good, but I just never watched it. I had watched up until that point largely just due to the fact that my coworkers were also watching and it was something to talk about. I ended up moving to a different department though (where no one regularly watches it), and I just stopped. Honestly, I haven't missed it in the least.

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] I ended up checking out The Night Manager this past weekend and really liked it. Knocked out the first 3 episodes and am very much looking forward to watching the rest. I also love that it's a mini series (i.e. it has a defined end) so it won't have a chance to drag out too long and fizzle. Both Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie are killing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                This is the unfortunate part, but I agree with you. At the risk of being the annoying "the book was better than the movie" guy, I really loved reading the books and then watching the series season by season--for the first 2-3 seasons, I did 1 book, 1 season, 2nd book, 2nd season, etc. while it kept side by side. It allowed me to get the extra background information (e.g., family histories, extra detail on other stuff) that you can't fit into the tv show format, while keeping the show itself entertaining. And doing a compare/contrast was fun, as nerdy as that sounds. As the series started to branch away from the books a bit over the last season or 2, and also out-paced the books, now I find it a bit frustrating that I'm seeing new stuff that I don't know whether it's something the books will cover or if it's something the tv show is doing and the books won't. And obviously I can't compare/contrast anymore.
                I'm with you, I'd read the first 3 or 4 before the show started and it was cool to see what stayed in vs. what was cut or changed and to speculate what that might mean for the overall story. Totally agree with the frustrations as the show charges ahead of the books. I'm taking comfort in the fact that the show seems to be streamlining things and getting all the pieces in place for the endgame, whereas in book five, you can sort of start to see things coming together, but he's still under his world-building security blanket and dedicating page after page to completely meaningless tangents.
                “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

• [MENTION=2659]Deke[/MENTION] yeah, I hear you on the defined end bit. I think that's why I really go in True Detective (first season) as I knew there was a definite end. Never did get in to the second season though. Not sure if it is worth my time or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                    [MENTION=2659]Deke[/MENTION] yeah, I hear you on the defined end bit. I think that's why I really go in True Detective (first season) as I knew there was a definite end. Never did get in to the second season though. Not sure if it is worth my time or not.
                    I tried with the second season, but I quit after three or four episodes. I just couldn't stick it out - and I never do that. It was terrible in every possible way. The characters were uninteresting, the acting was (mostly) hot garbage, the story was convoluted and gave me no reason to care at all, there was a lot of attempts at mysteriousness that just wound up being silly. I really enjoyed the first season, but the second was like a poorly done parody.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sideswipe View Post
                      This is exactly where I'm at with TWD (stopped watching after the Terminus episodes) and why I pulled the plug early on FTWD, since it seems to be headed in the same direction (plus the aforementioned annoying teenagers).

Just seems like they're stuck in short-form storytelling in a long-form medium. I'm not an expert on the zombie genre by any means but in movie form, but the ones that I've seen seem to hit the same essential beats:

Act 1: Ignore Early Warnings and Fail to Take Sensible Precautions, aka the "You know how I feel about guns!!!" stage

Act 2: Fight or Flight, aka the "Get everyone to the roof/chopper/boat/safe zone!!!" phase

Act 3: The Social Commentary Epiphany, aka the "Guys, the real enemy is actually the military/other people/consumerism!!!" phase

A TV series could have been a chance to move away from the formula and do tell some long-form stories, maybe with different groups of survivors, about adapting to the aftermath. Maybe something along the lines of World War Z (the book version). Instead each story arc of TWD is just the same cycle over and over again, with new rival factions dropped in as needed.

Disclaimer: I realize that I'm basically asking them to make a different show than the one they set out to make, which probably isn't fair, but just seems like a lot of wasted potential in how the show has played out.
                      The thing that baffles me about Fear the Walking Dead is that it's initially set in LA, a place where, given the homeless population, an actual zombie outbreak could go on for a very long time without the square community cottoning on. They sort of hinted at this, but they just dropped the ball on an opportunity to play meaningfully with that facet of the setting they presumably chose for a reason.

Also, other than minor hints, the concept of race and racial tension are not really a thing in this world, which is especially weird having the two shows set in LA and Georgia. The zombie genre is traditionally pretty interested in social commentary, but other than "the living are the real monsters," we haven't seen a lot.

Also (and again, this goes for both shows), I'd like to see way more of the everyday MacGuyvering that would be required to live in this world. Have they ever addressed the need for glasses? I know some characters wear them, but I don't recall them ever dealing with someone's glasses breaking. Or how about the need for tampons/pads? Also, why the sam hill are they always carrying that damn baby in their arms? I strapped my kids to a backpack all the time and I was just wandering about without the periodic need to stab someone in the skull.

The main show has enough going for it and I'm invested enough in the characters to overlook these missed opportunities, but Fear the Walking Dead is in danger of losing me. I'll finish this 1/2 season at least, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                        Also, why the sam hill are they always carrying that damn baby in their arms? I strapped my kids to a backpack all the time and I was just wandering about without the periodic need to stab someone in the skull.
                        This is the picture I took of the screen and sent it to my friend to complain about Glenn using his hands to carry a perfectly good back pack for the entire episode

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha King View Post
                          Silicon Valley is way underrated. I always forget to recommend that show, but it's a must watch.
                          Underrated?

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/silicon-valley/season-3

90 out of 100 average across 15 critic reviews is Mad Men-level acclaim. Not trying to be a dick just pointing out that the show is a viewer and critical darling (rightfully so).

Comment

• Originally posted by cotoks View Post
                            Underrated?

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/silicon-valley/season-3

90 out of 100 average across 15 critic reviews is Mad Men-level acclaim. Not trying to be a dick just pointing out that the show is a viewer and critical darling (rightfully so).
                            I don't check metacritic or anything, but I never hear anyone talk about it. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem to get the buzz that other hbo shows like, say, Game of Thrones does. And it is sure as hell not as critically fawned over as Mad Men.

Comment

• True.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                                I tried with the second season, but I quit after three or four episodes. I just couldn't stick it out - and I never do that. It was terrible in every possible way. The characters were uninteresting, the acting was (mostly) hot garbage, the story was convoluted and gave me no reason to care at all, there was a lot of attempts at mysteriousness that just wound up being silly. I really enjoyed the first season, but the second was like a poorly done parody.
                                My biggest gripe with season 2 is it took like 5 or 6 episodes for any kind of recognizable story line to take shape. It was just a hodge podge of information and characters thrown at you for over half of the season. That being said, I still didn't hate it. The last few episodes provided at least some sort of pay off for having to slog through a lot of seemingly nonsensical and unrelated scenes at the beginning. I'm not saying it's necessarily worth it (especially if you loathed the first 3-4 episodes), but I certainly don't regret watching it.

Comment

Working...
                                X