No announcement yet.

Kinda OT: San Francisco Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell, if you're going to Alameda, you should hit the St. George Spirits distillery for a tasting. They have gin, absinthe, vodka, eaux de vie, other assorted varieties, all of which are quite good. Not a bad way to spend $15 and an hour (assuming, of course, you enjoy the booze).

Comment

Hah, I live a block from Park Street. Yojimbo on Park is my favorite japanese place right now. Sushi is pretty good, but their curry and ramen are off the charts. Huge portions too. http://www.yelp.com/biz/yojimbo-alameda

Apparently there is a place called Yume where Sushi Sue used to be and it's rated pretty high. http://www.yelp.com/biz/yume-sushi-alameda

Comment

Just wanted to bump up this thread and ask for a couple of suggestions one final time before we fly out on tuesday.

We're staying in the InterContinental in SF all days except Friday night, which we're spending at the Sonoma Creek Inn. We plan to leave for Sonoma from SF after breakfast on Friday and return late afternoon on Saturday.

I see that there are a bunch of wineries in the Sonoma town area and I wanted to know the good ones on this list and how many are realistically doable in half a day (afternoon through late evening or early morning through lunch): Gundlach-Bundschu, Sebastiani, Ravenswood, Buena Vista, Ravenswood, Scribe, Nicholson Ranch. Are any of these bikeable from the Plaza? Can 2-3 of these be biked through in one outing?

Thanks guys.

Comment

I don't know that it is a must do, but if you have the time I recommend hitting The Buena Vista Cafe for an Irish Coffee. It's somewhat of an institution there.

Comment

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I finally managed to get back from SF with an unplanned but welcome stayover in Santa Monica / LA. The weather was 70s/50s throughout my trip. A lot of good food, beer & wine along with some sights.

I ended up staying at the InterContinental in SF & the Sonoma Creek Inn in Sonoma. I was upgraded to better rooms at both places and the rooms were not too pricey either.

Biked from Ferry Building to Sausalito through the fisherman's wharf , had brunch & took the ferry back. Great ride but my rear was still sore from biking 15 miles after being on a bike for the first time in 10 years. Drove up to Sonoma, had a great tasting experience at Scribe (which unfortunately, was our first stop and none of the other tastings were any close to the experience). We also swung by Gundslach, Domaine Carneros, Schug, Cline Cellars & Benzinger when we were out there. Everything else paled in comparison to the 90 odd minute intimate tasting at Scribe overlooking their fields. Drove up to Santa Rosa to the Russian River brewpub & drove down Rt. 1 to SF the next day. Explored a little more of SF (Japantown, Chinatown, North Beach, SoMa) but didn't get much of a chance to venture down to Mission area.

Meal Stops included Girl & the Fig, Sunflower Cafe (Sonoma), Mandalay in the Richmond area, R&G Lounge in Chinatown, Zuni Cafe, Nob Hill Cafe & Nopalito.

Had an un-expected stopover in LA & ended up eating at Yang Chow (Chinatown) + the Food Market at the Grove + BP Oysters and stopped by a FSU tailgate at Nat Championship at the Rose Bowl.

PS: I don't know how popular Blue Bottle cafe is out there but IMO it was overpriced coffee that wasn't that great. Cowgirl Creamery on the other hand was a nice surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by pratyk View Post
              So I'm going to be in SF with my girlfriend for 4-5 days around New Years Eve.

Tips on places to shop / eat / stay / have fun? Any good thrift shops to swing by?

We were thinking of staying 1 night in Napa/Sonoma as well.
              Great time to be in SF, you'll have a great time!

I could only recommend you to check http://san-francisco.hotelscheap.org/ for a cheap stay, they have great deals there, was never disappointed

Jenny
              Always... ALWAYS be yourself! Unless you can be a unicorn.

Comment

Be sure to wear flowers in your hair.

Comment

Working...
                X