Kinda OT: San Francisco Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinda OT: San Francisco Trip

So I'm going to be in SF with my girlfriend for 4-5 days around New Years Eve.

Tips on places to shop / eat / stay / have fun? Any good thrift shops to swing by?

We were thinking of staying 1 night in Napa/Sonoma as well.

Great city... have fun!

Comment

I like the outer sunset of San Francisco. It's less touristy I think. Go for a hike at lands end or cross to the Marin Headlands and hike there for views back across the bay to the city. Have brunch/lunch in Sausalito, I like Cibo http://cibosausalito.com/index.php. Alegrias in the city has good tapas. Cheap, but good sushi at Kitaro on Geary. Get ice cream at Bi-Rite Creamery. The legion of honor museum is very nice and located in Lands End. California science center in Golden Gate Park is cool if you're into that sort of thing. Golden gate park itself has lots going on, great place for a picnic if the sun is shining.

I prefer Sonoma County over Napa, again it's a little less touristy. I have to plug River Road Vineyards because my family sells Pinot Noir grapes to them http://www.riverroadvineyards.com/visit-river-road. Sepastopol, Guerneville, and Healdsburg are all nice little towns in Sonoma County. Lots of vineyards to visit, but if you want to take a pretty drive then you could do the westside road/eastside road loop.

If that's not enough stuff to do then come visit us in the East Bay! Walk around Lake Merrit (and visit the experimental garden), check out the "Gourmet Ghetto" in north Berkeley, walk Telegraph Ave and dodge the hawkers, check out Piedmont Ave and the richer side of the Oakland area, visit a small town on an island at Alameda (stick to Park Street). Walk in the redwoods at Redwood Regional/Joaquin Miller Parks.

Comment

Best "high end" restaurant to visit without breaking the bank is Gary Danko. Reserve about a month in advance. It's a famous spot but you'll still spend under a $100 per person there.

There's a crossroads consignment store on fillmore (there are multiple in the city) that seems to get better clothes due to the people who live near there.

There's a cool store that has seconds or display units of really high end brands for a cut rate (zegna, brioni level), near the baseball park. http://jeremys.com/

Britex is an interesting place to shop for replacement buttons and fabric if you need fabric, http://www.britexfabrics.com/

As for regular clothing stores there's nothing you'd find that's different or better than what's in boston. There's a very unique high end men's boutique in carmel called Khaki's but that's more than an hour away.
        Last edited by Morgan Liu; November 11, 2013, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. We were thinking of a self guided bike tour for half a day in Napa / Sonoma if it was warm enough (anything out there is going to be warmer than even right now in Boston anyway).

Interesting bit about Britex. I might drop by take a look. They look on the expensive side but I might be interested in getting some Tweed fabric to get a blazer done the next time I'm in Asia. Their suiting fabrics look twice as expensive for what I paid for a similar 100-110s wool on my trip to India.

Comment

SF - I would highly recommend a few of the "speak-easy" style bars. Make a reservation at Wilson and Wilson http://www.thewilsonbar.com/ where you will need a password to get in. Assigned seating, super dark, complex drinks with multiple ingredients - one of my favorites. If this type of intimate setting isn't your scene, try one of the larger ones like Bourbon & Branch (use the password books to taste in the library) or Local Edition on Market in the basement of a now defunct San Francisco newspaper company.
            Shopping - if you don't get to Uniqlo that's an easy one right off Union Square.
            Napa - skip the big places and enjoy an intimate tasting with someone who actually knows what they are talking about:
            Jessup Cellars in Yountville - the only winery I belong to, call in advance and schedule a tasting with Bay, one of the funniest, most knowledgeable people I've ever tasted with. Cheese, olives, nuts and crackers and paired with the wines.
            Crocker & Star between Yountville and St. Helena - schedule a tasting in advance, you will be the only people at this winery situated at a dead end with picturesque vineyars and mountains in the background. Start off with a lighter Sauvignon or Chardonnay tasting on the porch, followed by a walk to the vineyard, capped off by a few of their high end red blends served in the newly built tasting room. This is all 1:1.
            Scribe in Sonoma - once again, set up a tasting in advance. You will sit at a picnic table outdoors, high above the valley with beautiful views. A meat and cheese platter is part of the tasting on this property with an original, Spanish style farmhouse from the 1860's. Last time we were there, they even sent us home with eggs from the chickens who freely roam on the property.
            Drop me a note with any questions and have fun!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, Ryan. THe bars you speak of sound interesting.

If it's not too cold in Napa/Sonoma, we were thinking of doing a bike tour. We'll probably head to the valley post lunch and stay until lunch the next day. Any suggestions on where to stay in Napa/Sonoma? Do you think any of these wineries you've mentioned (2-3) can be covered by bikes?

Being a beer nut, I do plan to stop by Russian River Brewing for a tour/taster and possibly the Mikkeller bar in SF.

Comment

If a beer fan, keep Magnolia on your list - in San Francisco's Haight District.

Bike tour sounds fun; unfortunately my recommendations are all pretty spread out. Think of Sonoma as closest to San Francisco, followed by Napa to the East, Yountville to the north of Napa and St. Helena even further north.

Since I live in the East Bay, we've never stayed in Napa/Sonoma because it's all within an hour's drive. I've never stayed here, but thought this looked like a pretty good bang for your buck deal:
                http://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals...z_adid=1610271

Finally, stayed here for my anniversary two months ago and it was hands-down the best experience I've ever had in my entire life. Calistoga is WAY further north though:
                http://www.cdvnapavalley.com/

Originally posted by pratyk View Post
                Thanks for the suggestions, Ryan. THe bars you speak of sound interesting.

If it's not too cold in Napa/Sonoma, we were thinking of doing a bike tour. We'll probably head to the valley post lunch and stay until lunch the next day. Any suggestions on where to stay in Napa/Sonoma? Do you think any of these wineries you've mentioned (2-3) can be covered by bikes?

Being a beer nut, I do plan to stop by Russian River Brewing for a tour/taster and possibly the Mikkeller bar in SF.

Comment

I would seriously consider VRBO for your wine country stay. Lots of nice vacation homes to stay at.

For the beer nut, if you get to the east bay check out Beer Revolution http://beer-revolution.com/

For biking in that area keep in mind that many of the roads are narrow two lane, of varying quality, and generally have no bike lane. There are some nice routes, but do your homework before you leave.

Comment

Smugglers Cove for more rum you can shake a peg leg at (and one of Esquires top bars in America).

Redd Wood in St Helena for the little sister version of a two michelin star restaurant and delicious homemade pasta.

For a biking challenge on the wine route, Artesa is a beautiful building set up on top/inside a hill in the Carneros region. Wines are okay, but also a little cheaper than the rest of Napa and views are spectacular. Del Dotto's two locations are also fun barrel tasting cave tours that are a little more than standard, but worth the extra in terms of experience and quantity.

Russian River Valley Brewing company is pretty far north, but Hop Munk Tavern in Sonoma has some of their beers (including Pliny). I don't think its worth it going all the way to RRVB unless you want to buy growlers.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                      If a beer fan, keep Magnolia on your list - in San Francisco's Haight District.
                      Toronado in the Lower Haight is also a pretty great beer bar (or at least it was the last time I went a few years ago).

Comment

What's the best area in San Francisco to look for a hotel?

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
                          I like the outer sunset of San Francisco. It's less touristy I think. Go for a hike at lands end or cross to the Marin Headlands and hike there for views back across the bay to the city. Have brunch/lunch in Sausalito, I like Cibo http://cibosausalito.com/index.php. Alegrias in the city has good tapas. Cheap, but good sushi at Kitaro on Geary. Get ice cream at Bi-Rite Creamery. The legion of honor museum is very nice and located in Lands End. California science center in Golden Gate Park is cool if you're into that sort of thing. Golden gate park itself has lots going on, great place for a picnic if the sun is shining.
                          these are all great suggestions but in true sf fashion, i gotta counterpoint. first off lands end/legion of honor is awesome but would be considered outer richmond, not sunset. more specifically its in seacliff which is one of the more exclusive neighborhoods of sf. theres some cool secluded beaches that look private, but im pretty sure theyre public. just be mindful of the nude beach out that-a-way. my favorite spot in the outer richmond was the musee mecanique when it was still at the cliffhouse. its now in the more touristy area of the wharf but still very much worth a visit. easily my favorite museum in sf.

park presidio, just west of the gg bridge is a kinda hidden military bunker that overlooks the bridge. not as sexy as lands end, but nobody really goes there and it has a cool post-apocalyptic vibe. also, you can go underneath the bridge from park presidio ala hitchcocks vertigo. its mildly touristy.

ice cream, gotta stay old school. mitchells on san jose in the omi.

breakfast-wise, brunch is definitely a sf thing, and theres a ton of great places for it. but i keep it grimey with the silog filipino breakfast. its like $3 for some garlic fried rice, a fried egg, and cured meats. i like tselogs on the cusp of daly city. they make their own caseless longanisa. its heartburn food, but something you wont find easily anywhere else.

san tung is regional northern chinese (amost korean) style food. still tasty after all these years. its in the inner sunset.

thrift stores, i always came up at thrift town in the mission. but you either luck into something or you do the everyday grind there. everyone's up on thrifting in sf, youll have better luck doing the deed in small towns. however, my favorite thrift in the bay is the east bay center for creative reuse in oakland/berkeley. its like the bric-a-brac section at the salvation army times 100. no clothes, if thats your bag, just a warehouse full of odds and ends. its awesome, they used to (maybe still?) hold an art contest every year out of shit culled from their store. that is a folksy treat.

shopping-wise, its all about hayes valley. your girl will go nuts. have fun!

Comment

Ah, busted on neighborhood names!

Seriously, all of that sounds fun. I'm going to have to check those places out next time I'm in the city.

Comment

speaking of alameda, there used to be a sushi joint there called sushi sue or something like that on park. best damn sushi in the bay. it was one of those 2 table shitholes that was open until he sold out, usually around 3pm. some days if he didnt like the fish from the market, they wouldnt even open at all. dude was legit.

Comment

Working...
                              X