Standing/Treadmill Desks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing/Treadmill Desks

Does anyone here use a standing desk or a treadmill desk in his office? I've read a few articles recently that were awfully damning of sitting on your ass all day and highlight how there are serious negative medical effects (Example: http://lifehacker.com/5879536/how-si...-counteract-it)

The idea of being on my feet is really appealing to me, since I usually feel terrible after sitting and looking at a computer screen for hours straight. I question whether it is practically feasible, though. Are you more or less productive? What shoes do you wear on your feet that are comfortable and supportive enough for stand for hours? How do your co-workers react?

Thoughts?

I have a standing desk. No treadmill... at least yet... hah.

Personally, I love it. Mine is built (the Lifehacker IKEA DIY one) at the perfect height to where I can sit or stand without moving my stuff. The chair I use when I want to sit has a much higher profile than most office chairs.

I feel like I'm more productive, but I don't think I made miraculous improvements because of the desk. My office is very casual, so I wear Nike Roshe Runs most days, which are extremely comfortable, even after that much time on my feet. My coworkers all thought it was funny at first, but the owner of my agency also has one, so they don't judge it too much.

Comment

I have (at my work office) an adjustable sitting/standing desk. It's pretty flexible and very simple to adjust. Mostly I just raise the entire main desk plane (which my laptop sits on) and the connected, slightly lower, keyboard shelf with the press and hold of a button. Again, it's not the most ergonomic solution, and it's not tailored perfectly to me, but it works pretty well for mixing things up a bit.

That is *when* I remember to do it. Speaking of which... THANKS! Adjusting now to standing position.

Additionally, it's highly advisable to get away from your desk, and go for a stroll from time to time, throughout the day. I try to do that as well, but some days I get caught up on surfing... err... *working* on something and forget to do that too.

Now, my desk "at home" (I currently work from home two days per week), is not adjustable, but I do seem to get up and move about the house much more frequently, as well as take breaks now and then to go outside with the dog and throw the ball for her, or go for a quick walk with her.

Comment

I dont but it did convince me to stand up for a bit...
        My cocktail videos >

Comment

I thought about getting one for home, but I have limited space and it was tough enough to find a desk that worked for the area I had for a desk. I'd like to do it given the health benefits, but I don't think I could get away with it at work for many-a-reason. First, only one partner has one and none of the other associates. Even he gets shit for it. Second, I'm in business attire, so I'm in dress shoes every day. Lastly, but definitely not least (and compounding #2, I work way too damn much to stand all day. Adjustable would be a must if I were to ever switch over.

Comment

Our office (we are accountants) offered standing desks to a group volunteers to try. Two individuals volunteers (though our bosses were anticipating more). Of the two, neither have stayed with it consistently saying it was a bit of a hassle for their tastes. Curiosity in the idea waned in our office shortly thereafter and it has not been mentioned again, though both test subjects still have the standing desks in their office and will use it occasionally. Their feedback suggested that when they were working on handwritten material it was convenient, but most computer tasks seemed labored. Also, one mentioned that he was not as productive due to everyone coming into his office to have 10 min conversations about how he liked the standing desk.

Comment

I don't know how one could ever work at a treadmill desk. If I was hellbent on staying active at work, I would switch between a standing desk and "cycling desk" (which I have never seen before). I believe spinning bike pedals would let me hands work much better than walking, it eliminates the vertical bobbing motion.

I sit in my chair (Herman Miller) for 9 hours a day...no problems health wise for me. I exercise and eat healthy though...

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson View Post
                Also, one mentioned that he was not as productive due to everyone coming into his office to have 10 min conversations about how he liked the standing desk.
                LOL - Nice!

Comment

McG: There's a link, a couple articles/links into that initial lifehack one you posted above, to an article about NOT needing a Standing Desk. FYI. Here's a quote from it:

(re the perils of standing): "It dramatically increases the risks of carotid atherosclerosis (ninefold) because of the additional load on the circulatory system, and it also increases the risks of varicose veins, so standing all day is unhealthy. The performance of many fine motor skills also is less good when people stand rather than sit."

Well, crap.

And to think I read that article whilst standing at my desk.

Comment

On a very tangential note, I'm worried that the fine folks at Cornell apparently have decided "worse" isn't a good word.

Comment

We have a few people at work who stand, and I regularly stand at home, although for shorter periods (30 minutes of surfing the web after dinner, for example). Personally, if I had to make a decision for all day, I would rather sit and get up and walk occasionally.

Comment

Working...
                      X