Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redbeardedmike View Post
    I ... (do not care for 'foodie').
    I implore you to give him another chance. He has a ten inch drop. Also, foodie is a very nice person with an incredible shoe collection, and did I mention that he has a ten inch drop?

Yes: a ten inch drop.

Comment

Seriously, though: I also like cooking, brewing beer, and baking bread, like many others here. I'm in a beer club, which is great. My eating has long outpaced my exercise, even though I enjoy jogging and hiking. I recently took up yoga, and like it a lot.

I play guitar and make music with friends. I'm involved in a monthly song competition where someone picks a theme and the rest of us make a song, and then we vote on the best one, and the winner sets the next theme (not unlike our weekly competition here). The songs are usually ridiculous.

I also really like visual art (Andy Goldsworthy is one of my favorites, check him out if you haven't heard of him) and film.

I also have little kids, with whom I happily spend much of my free time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
        Music is my career so I'm dealing with that all the time, but other hobbies include cooking (& kitchen knives), photography, Scotch, college hoops, fishing, and woodworking.
        Mein doppelgänger.

Comment

I agree with everything Fred said about knives and Korin.

I'm a food enthusiast (do not care for 'foodie'). I belong to a Chicago-based culinary chat site and love to find ethnic mom and pop shops around the city (incidentally, if you are coming to town, I strongly consider you to begin your restaurant search here). I bake bread. I participate in spicy condiment exchanges and semi-monthly potluck barbeques along the lake during the summer. I get together with friends to cook through cookbooks and prepare feasts while watching football. Last weekend, I smoked 10 chickens for the Homecoming tailgate at my alma mater. I like food.

I'm also into movies and just joined an all-male book club.
          Related link: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=foodie

That being said, you sound like you're legit into food/cooking, etc. Here in NYC, too many people say they're a 'foodie' because they like trying nice restaurants or love going to Murray's Cheese... (NB: I am in no way a foodie in either sense of the word, but do tend to roll my eyes at those who claim that they are 'foodies' in the above sense).

Edit: Acoustic version is perfectly fine by me.

Comment

Mine are paintball and tennis mainly. I still read comics off and on. Does watching football count as a hobby?

Comment

Slam dunk competitions? Do tell.
              I starting playing basketball in college after a 5" growth spurt during the summer before my freshman year. After I started playing, I found out my true gift was driving the lane and dunking. I was always hyper athletic growing up, but never tried basketball because I was short.

After improving my vert and dunk technique, I started competing in contests on campus. I'm working to get back into condition for them this spring (I had a few injuries that sidelined me for a bit), but my goal is to be back at my peak (35" standing vertical and 42" off a three step drop) by my 27th birthday (February 22nd). Right now I'm about 8" short of that on both numbers, but I think I can make it happen.

I wish I had footage to share, but here's a good picture of me practicing for a contest a few years back. My cousin I'm jumping over is 5'6"-5'7"

Comment

Nothing exciting here, I play soccer and basketball couple times a week, and I try to sneak in exercise session or two when I dont have to drive kids to their piano/violin/swimming/soccer lessons.I do enjoy to go to movies, I am almost every week in theatre , conveniently located block away from my house.

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
                  I implore you to give him another chance. He has a ten inch drop. Also, foodie is a very nice person with an incredible shoe collection, and did I mention that he has a ten inch drop?

Yes: a ten inch drop.
                  Ha. I very much approve of 10-inch-drop-Acousticfoodie.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                    Related link: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=foodie

That being said, you sound like you're legit into food/cooking, etc. Here in NYC, too many people say they're a 'foodie' because they like trying nice restaurants or love going to Murray's Cheese... (NB: I am in no way a foodie in either sense of the word, but do tend to roll my eyes at those who claim that they are 'foodies' in the above sense).

Edit: Acoustic version is perfectly fine by me.
                    Exactly, hornsup. I think the name has taken on a bit of a life of its own and has a bit of a negative connotation. But I'm sure I fit the definition. When I travel, I make Google maps with food destinations. For example, in annual trips to NYC, I link up with fellow food people for food crawls of Flushing, Sunset Park, or the LES. I have lots of interests other than food, but it's a good organizing principle.

Comment

Exactly -- that's a real foodie, which is cool if you're into it. Alternatively, liking nice restaurants isn't a hobby.

Comment

Ha. I agree.

Now I will stop acting defensive and sounding insufferable.

Comment

Beer
                          Scotch
                          Food
                          Reading - I used to cook+read a lot but then I got lazy for a few years. I'm getting back into both slowly. Cooking calms me down. a lot.
                          Sports - watching mainly (Soccer, College Football, Tennis)
                          Working out - I busted my back late last year so I had a 6 month layoff. Starting to get back to it but with my work schedule, it's been a little difficult to maintain a good schedule.

I'm thinking about running a half marathon to raise money for a charity that's dear to me. I'm no way in shape to do it just yet but after watching my girlfriend do a 50 mile bike ride for a similar cause, I feel left out.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                            Mein doppelgänger.
                            Just saw that, LOL!

Comment

This thread has gotten me thinking about what my hobbies really are. I suppose I am defining a hobby as something I dedicate a decent amount of free time to (otherwise most of my time is spent at school). It's interesting how it changes over time. I used to watch tons of movies, I still love them, but have watched 3-4 in over a year. My fiancée and I do spend a fair amount of time brewing, trading and sharing beers. And other beer related events. Generally being active. I love cooking and just creating things in the kitchen whether food or drink. Scotch and travel when I can afford it. Clothes are clearly a hobby for most of us.

I mean, when it comes down to it, I try to spend the majority of my free time cultivating relationships with people around me. Does that count?
                              "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Ah travel. the only travel i've recently done is in my mind while reading Bill Bryson and Pico Iyer. Looking forward to december though. I have a week's break and looking forward to getting out somewhere a bit warmer than Boston with the lady. San Fransisco's one option. Any suggestions? Excluding Florida / Mexico / Puerto Rico?

Comment

Working...
                                X