X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cycling. Road bike racing
    Cooking

Comment

Most of my hobbies are really violent or really nerdy or both. I used to paint but not so much anymore and photography is more of my intended profession than a hobby.

Comment

Cooking is a big one. I'm always up for trying new recipes. I just got my first cast iron skillet this week and I love it. I'm planning on buying a nice set of knives soon too. I cut my thumb pretty bad using a nice knife once though, so I'm a little wary of using good ones again.
        Beer is definitely a hobby of mine too. I'm always looking for new beers to try. I just moved to Tampa and we have Cigar City Brewing, one of the best I've had.

Comment

I've got too many hobbies...

Running, road cycling, mountain biking, triathlons, motorcycling, snowboarding, photography, cigars, wine, beer, and travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Teej View Post
            I'm planning on buying a nice set of knives soon too.
            I have about a zillion hobbies (and not nearly enough time) but cooking and knives are definitely in there. Do NOT buy a "set" of knives. If you do any cooking at all you soon realize that you use your chef's knife for 90+ percent of your prep work. It doesn't make any sense to buy a big set when you're not going to use most of them very often if at all. If you're using your chef's knife 90% of the time it makes the most sense to spend most of your $ on a really good chef's knife. You'll also need a paring knife and a serrated bread knife but you can really get by with just those 3 knives. If you add another knife, I'd get a slicer for proteins. I prefer Japanese steel and use my sujihiki a lot. I basically have no use for a utility knife or most specialty knives, although if there's a specific task you do a lot a specialty knife can be worth it. I usually roast or grill a whole chicken once a week on average so I use this Honesuki for breaking down a chicken.

Both Williams-Sonoma and Sur la Table are pretty cool with letting you try out knives. I'd go try out a bunch of chef's knives to see what style you like. Western chef's knives and Japanese Gyutos have very different geometry so see what you like better. I use a 240mm Hattori FH gyuto and my wife uses a 8" Shun Classic.

Comment

We have a Zwilling J.A. Henckels set and I mainly use two knives and the kitchen shears. They were a gift from my fiancees parents so I enjoy whatever nice things they buy us.

Comment

Originally posted by Teej View Post
                I cut my thumb pretty bad using a nice knife once though, so I'm a little wary of using good ones again.
                Also, good knives properly sharpened are actually safer too! Because you are using less pressure to cut, there's less chance of the food slipping and you cutting yourself. Dull (or bad) knives require more pressure and increase the chance of injury. If anyone is interested in kitchen knives I definitely recommend Chad Ward's book: http://www.amazon.com/An-Edge-Kitche.../dp/0061188484

Comment

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...n-chefs-knife/

Damn near the last knife you'll ever need. The 6" size is excellent. Incredibly sharp and holds an edge for a long, long time. Fred is spot on about Japanese steel.
                  "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...n-chefs-knife/

Damn near the last knife you'll ever need. The 6" size is excellent. Incredibly sharp and holds an edge for a long, long time. Fred is spot on about Japanese steel.
                    This is exactly why I recommended trying them out at a Williams Sonoma or Sur la Table. What works great for Greg I know would be terrible for me. For me that knife would be way too short, too much belly, and a strange grip, but it works for him. I find my wife's 8" Shun too short and I much prefer a flatter belly on the knife. Here's my Hattori:

Comment

If any of you NYC guys are into kitchen knives, Korin down on Chambers Street is Japanese knife heaven: http://korin.com/site/home.html
                      Also, the Williams-Sonoma at Columbus Circle has lots of knife brands (like Kikuichi and Masanobu) that are unavailable online, or at any other W-S I've ever been to which is good if you're cashing in credit card points for a W-S gift card.

Comment

Photography! http://www.flickr.com/photos/petersims/

Also running, lifting, cycling, hiking.

Comment

I agree with everything Fred said about knives and Korin.

I'm a food enthusiast (do not care for 'foodie'). I belong to a Chicago-based culinary chat site and love to find ethnic mom and pop shops around the city (incidentally, if you are coming to town, I strongly consider you to begin your restaurant search here). I bake bread. I participate in spicy condiment exchanges and semi-monthly potluck barbeques along the lake during the summer. I get together with friends to cook through cookbooks and prepare feasts while watching football. Last weekend, I smoked 10 chickens for the Homecoming tailgate at my alma mater. I like food.

I'm also into movies and just joined an all-male book club.

Comment

My hobbies are:

Sports (more specifically golf, basketball, tennis, softball, and flag football). I'm getting into cycling next season because my Dad gave me his old race book (Look 586 frame)
                            Slam dunk competitions
                            Cars (detailing, restoration, and a little racing)
                            Life Hacking/Self Improvement

I'm not a cook or beer drinker, so I can't partake in most of the discussion... hah.

Comment

Music is my career so I'm dealing with that all the time, but other hobbies include cooking (& kitchen knives), photography, Scotch, college hoops, fishing, and woodworking.

Comment

Slam dunk competitions? Do tell.

Comment

Working...
                                X