What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did you do today?

I'm starting this based on the discussion going in the WIWT thread. Lots of guys talking about where they are at in terms of their body, fitness, goals and how their clothes fit. One of the things that helps people meet those goals is sharing them with others and tracking progress. Well here you go!

What are your physical fitness/diet/weight/whatever goals and what did you do today to meet them?

Today I ate donuts (I know, bad day for me to start this thread). However, yesterday I dug holes in the hot hot heat for a couple hours and the day before that I lifted (squat, overhead press, deadlift). So today is a rest day.

My goal is to get back to my PR weights for squat and deadlift. I also want to start adding in pullups and dips to my workout.

I'm currently trying to gain weight. So far I have 1100 Calories in me, and plan on doing shoulders and back today. Unfortunately, I love running but I have to put a hold on that unless I up my caloric intake quite a bit. My goal is to go from 133lbs to 145lbs (of muscle) in 4-6 months.

Comment

Today I almost ate half of a cinnamon roll. *Almost*. I was trying to be good by cutting one in half - even then feeling guilty as I plopped it on my breakfast plate. But when my lil' girl asked for one of them to be added to her plate, I quickly handed mine over. Even better! Having it sit on my plate next to my bacon and eggs for a few precious moments left a little touch of the icing, which I faked myself into believing was the same thing as eating the darn thing myself.

I'm calling that a "win."

Comment

In the past month I cut my portion size into thirds, and have lost 25 lbs so far. My goal weight is 190, so 5lbs away!

Comment

Today, I've eaten peanut M&Ms and sat in front of a computer all morning. Yes really. Lunch will be naan and hummus, because cultural appropriation is even more fun when it's mismatched. And the grocery store didn't have pita.

Yesterday, however, I managed to go on a nice walk in a new spot in the mountains ("walk" and not "hike" because the elevation gain was pretty negligible). Tonight I might make a trail run of it since it's going to be a hot dry day, and this particular spot was shady and about 15┬░F cooler than in town when I was there yesterday. I'll probably take bear spray with me this time, though. I saw a lot of wild raspberries and other things that might attract some furry friends.
          Ben

Comment

Woke up at 5am and ran 5 miles. Was supposed to be 6, but the ball of my foot has been killing me since I slammed it down hard on packed sand while on vacation last week. Been good this week and haven't drank any alcohol since Sunday (last night of vacay), and going to TRY to hold out tonight, as I know tomorrow will be gluttony with college football and the Dawgs playing tomorrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
              (squat, overhead press, deadlift).
              Stronglifts? Been bad about lifting this summer but have been running a lot more. Despite my beer intake I think I've dropped a couple unnecessary pounds. Down to 175-180 from 185. Wouldn't mind being around 185 if its mostly good weight but damn it's hard for me to pack on pounds.
              "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Woke up at 4 am because wife did not turn alarm off on her damn cell phone, although she has today off. After that, I tried to sleep, as expected with no success whatsoever. Somehow after shower I got somewhat better, and managed to drive to work, where I destroyed two donuts before I started to work. At lunch, played hoops with our lunchtime hoops group that we do 2-3 times a week. After that i grabbed Jimmy Johns to switly make up any calories that I lost during the games.
                After work, I get to go home and help my retired dad because his internet is lost (again), and I have to find it. TGIF.

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                  Stronglifts? Been bad about lifting this summer but have been running a lot more. Despite my beer intake I think I've dropped a couple unnecessary pounds. Down to 175-180 from 185. Wouldn't mind being around 185 if its mostly good weight but damn it's hard for me to pack on pounds.
                  Did you try proteins already? Cheap Cassein (or whey isolate)from Walmart (Six Star) works just fine, and can help you build up muscle mass quick and easy. Best bang for the buck in my experience.

Comment

I was approaching 158lbs (5'9.5") when I started fasting, and during the month I went up to ~168 (as expected), so I'm slowly working myself back down toward my target range if 155-160 while lifting making gains in my lifts. So far today, just a bowl (okay 2) of generic brand honey nut cheerios w/ milk. Too lazy to make eggs today.

Heading to the gym for arms, shoulders, and maybe legs. I'm road-tripping for the long weekend so I don't want to kill my legs/back with deadlifts (what I usually prefer for legs) and not be able to walk around and enjoy vacation as much. Afterward lunch is chicken with chickpeas and tomatoes.

This trip is entirely about eating but I've made plans to bike, kayak, and jog (though I hate running/jogging) a bit and hopefully that will help burn some of the delicious food I look forward to consuming.

Edit: I've stopped taking protein supplements/powders in the past few years and been trying to stick to solid foods. Generally feel a lot better this way. I don't think I'll ever reach the body image I desire but finding time to work out w/ school is really hard and I'm just aiming for consistency in my weight, and if I can lose a few pounds of fat and put on some more muscle that'd be a nice bonus.
                    Last edited by LosRockets; August 30, 2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                      Do you even lift, bro?

Comment

Started up my DC (doggcrapp) workout again after taking 2 weeks off(sick and then got these damn braces that prevent me from eating like I need to) didn't even look at my previous weights used, just did a few things to my nervous system back into.

Regarding protein powders, read the ingredients on them:
                        Some contain digestive enzymes which help a lot

My own personal experience.
                        Avoid Soy/Edemame that is absolutely no good for a guy to eat and actually has given an individual gynomastia and erectile dysfunction(when consumed in large amounts)
                        Whey protein is the best source for your body to absorb quickly (10g/hr) vs Casein (3g/hr), which is great post workout, Casein is great before bed.

You do NOT need post work out carbs, if you're only concerned with gaining weight then cutting, eat away of course.

If trying to gain weight, buy digestive enzymes and use them, they do help.

Comment

I've been trying to get back into jogging (started a year ago, then stopped when I could reliably do 5K) with my dog. Did pretty well for the first few days, then she got a stomach bug, so we took a break the last few. She's still on reduced rations, and showing reduced energy, but while I was out, she just ate a pound cake (which is a lot for a 50lb dog), so if she keeps it down, I'll assume she's basically back, and start up again.

I'm orbiting 195lbs (6'), and would really like to get back to 155 (at which point I'll be able to wear all my nice JCrew shirts and pants from grad school (back before the recession hit, sales were a lot more serious)).

Comment

@ BigBayesian You're lucky your dog will run with you. I've tried running with my family dog, and discovered she has 3 speeds: A lot faster than my pace, a lot slower than my pace, and dead stop to scratch, sniff, or pee.
                            Ben

Comment

This morning did my customary 5K on a trail near work, had a few mind numbing meetings, some emails, and mentally checked out for vacation around 1:00pm. I am trying to improve my average mile time, and then increase to 10k hopefully soon. I have never run for exercise ever in my life, but it was a good way to get fresh air, and beat morning traffic.

Comment

Working...
                              X