A Gin Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Gin Thread

Finding that there are all manner of beer, bourbon, whisk(e)y, scotch, etc threads- any gin drinkers out there? I live in Washington, and we have several fantastic craft distilleries popping up, in addition to the standard large brands (Hendricks is preference in a martini).

What about you guys? Any gins that are must-haves? Good bargains? Good gin drinks?
    -DESR
    http://deanfortythree.wordpress.com/
    https://twitter.com/deanfortythree

If you look at the Your Favorite Cocktail thread, there's been a good bit of gin-related discussion, especially in the past couple of months.

Comment

I saw that there were a lot of recipes with some brand discussion mixed in, but I thought a thread might be in order for brand discussion and the like, rather than derail that thread (also makes it easier to refer back to).
      Last edited by deanfortythree; July 10, 2013, 05:52 PM.
      -DESR
      http://deanfortythree.wordpress.com/
      https://twitter.com/deanfortythree

Comment

Good point. The past three gins I've had at home have been Tanqueray Ten, Brokers, and Boodles. TT is really fruit/citrus forward; it almost tastes like lemon/lime soda (Sprite, 7up, etc.) which made it great in cocktails that included fruit. Brokers is a great deal for the price; I've seen it for less than $20. I've only had Boodles for a couple weeks, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Comment

I'm on board with a dedicated gin thread. My current favorites are anything from the St. George distillery, in particular the Botanivore (just make sure you put it in a simple cocktail without a lot of adornment because you don't want to drown out all of the flavor). For more complicated cocktails, I'm a big fan of Broker's or Bombay Dry (not Sapphire).

Comment

I used to prefer Bombay Sapphire first, Tangueray second. That was back in the mid-'90s, when my go-to cocktail was gin&tonic.

I've since kicked tonic to the curb, and have become more of a whiskey (preferring Rye first, bourbon second) drinker, both in cocktails and rocks/neat.

However, in the warmer months, especially Summertime by the pool, I usually opt for gin over whiskey. Presently I have three bottles in rotation: Hendricks, Broker's and Gordon's.

I prefer Hendricks for rocks drinks, Broker's for really simple one-mixer type cocktails like say gin&soda, and Gordon's for drinks where the gin may get a little more lost in the mix (Tom Collins, Negroni, Fitzgerald, etc); in other words when I'm not overly interested in the complexity of the gin's flavor cycle.

Still, sometimes I just grab the closest or fullest bottle. Not an exact science, as it were.

Comment

I've cycled through a few preferred gins recently (Plymouth, Beefeater 24, Deaths Door, and Smooth Ambler) but I keep reaching for my Barrel Aged Bols Genever nowadays. It's simply fantastic. Really want to try Botanist Gin soon.
              My cocktail videos >

Comment

With my Hendrick's bottle nearing the end of it's life-cycle, I stopped this afternoon to pick up another one. Been utilizing Hendrick's for pretty much rocks-only drinks (often with a lime wedge garnish/squirt), and Gordon's for gin-based long drinks (cocktails) by (and in) the pool. For the most part those cocktails have been Gin Rickeys - trying very hard to keep the sugar/simple syrup/sweeteners out of the mix altogether.

However I noticed for the first time at this particular local liquor store (one of the two in the area that I like to patronize) a bottle of *Bluecoat - American Dry Gin*. I thought I had read a few good things about it here on Dappered (and possibly on Primer Magazine's site too), so I went for it. I haven't tried it rocks-only yet, but it was very nice in the *tall* Rickey I made, and drank while BBQing and swimming with the fam later in the evening.

I should search the threads, but in the meanwhile any personal thoughts on Bluecoat?

(I might copy this into the Favorite Cocktail thread too, as that one seems to have a much bigger exposure/readership - so apologies in advance for a dupe, if I indeed do dupe.)
                Last edited by yoyorobbo; August 11, 2013, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X