Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moved into a new apartment, need help finding a sturdy, metal bed frame

Hey guys,
    I recently moved into a new apartment in the city and need to find a cheap/sturdy steel bed frame for my bedroom. I have decided on a metal bedframe because most sell for less than $100 and they don't take up a lot of space.

Researching and shopping online has left me pretty frustrated. From reading a lot of the reviews, most seem to be made out of cheaper thin steel that will wear down and potentially squeak over time.

Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience or recommendations to where I can find a good one.

Thanks! -Justin

pfmicks, Most mattress supply stores will sell you a steel bed frame for around $25. I don't think that this is something that you should purchase online.

Comment

If I understand what you are talking about (just the frame that a box spring and mattress sit on), then go with Bruschetta's recommendation. This is a purchase I have literally never thought about because they are cheap and I have never had an issue.
      "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
        If I understand what you are talking about (just the frame that a box spring and mattress sit on), then go with Bruschetta's recommendation. This is a purchase I have literally never thought about because they are cheap and I have never had an issue.
        Yup, it is what I'm talking about.

I will check out some mattress supply stores tonight, thanks fellas!

Comment

Is this what you mean? If so, and you don't need the storage space underneath the bed, you don't really need this. You could consider just laying the box frame directly on the floor.

Comment

One word: "craigslist"

Otherwise, all the mattress store advice is good.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff4 View Post

Is this what you mean? If so, and you don't need the storage space underneath the bed, you don't really need this. You could consider just laying the box frame directly on the floor.
              I'd highly recommend not going this route if you're single (or have a gf/wife who cares about such things)--it has been my experience that it's generally frowned upon by the female species if you do not have a bedframe of some sort, even if it's the aforementioned metal frame. I'm not sure whether they like the bed being elevated a bit more or whether it being on the floor reminds them too much of frat/college life--I admit that I had my mattress on the floor while I was debating what platform bedframe to buy--but a frame of some sort is a good investment in this respect, at least in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                I'd highly recommend not going this route if you're single (or have a gf/wife who cares about such things)--it has been my experience that it's generally frowned upon by the female species if you do not have a bedframe of some sort, even if it's the aforementioned metal frame. I'm not sure whether they like the bed being elevated a bit more or whether it being on the floor reminds them too much of frat/college life--I admit that I had my mattress on the floor while I was debating what platform bedframe to buy--but a frame of some sort is a good investment in this respect, at least in my experience.
                LOL. It's currently on the floor. New female friend is the reason I am now looking....

Since we are on the subject...

Will all metal frames have the same amount of squeakage? Are any better than others (thicker material, heavier duty bolts or somethin) ?

Comment

I have yet to see a metal bed frame that was significantly worse than the rest. Most of the squeaking usualy comes from the box (if it has springs) or the mattress. Heck, if you live in the DFW area, I have a spare in my garage that you can have.

I have a wooden bed that squeaks EVERYWHERE, though... I've rebuilt it once before, and it looks like I'll need to do it again. The next step will include reinforcing the whole thing frmo underneath, but it's wooden so that's actually possible.

Comment

Originally posted by pfmicks View Post
                    LOL. It's currently on the floor. New female friend is the reason I am now looking....

Since we are on the subject...

Will all metal frames have the same amount of squeakage? Are any better than others (thicker material, heavier duty bolts or somethin) ?
                    Nailed it! HAH.

But seriously, smart move. Unfortunately can't help you on whether there are nicer metal frames or not; I wanted to have at least a headboard, and wound up going with an admittedly expensive platform bed from Crate & Barrel. Doesn't seem to be sold anymore, but it is very similar to this one that I found googling: http://www.homeclick.com/coaster-fur...30-210986882-2

Can't say I've had any complaints, and have had a few compliments. Plus I like that the headboard is padded...

Comment

There are people on craigslist selling solid wood bed frames (admittedly, cheapish solid wood, on the ligth end) for a good price. If you want something that looks nice you can go that route, but I used a metal frame as suggested above for many years prior. I've had no problems with my "fell off the back of a truck" Craigslist deal. The sellers are wholesalers who buy direct from the manufacturers in Malaysia/wherever and don't operate out of a store so much as a rented space with some items on display and a phone line. I paid in cash, they delivered. No hassle, no credit card fears.

Comment

First of all I would like to say congrats to you for moving in new apartment in the city. This is not a big issue, don't worry about it just go to market or furniture showrooms you will definitely find what you want or call your friends. Wish you all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by adlen View Post
                          First of all I would like to say congrats to you for moving in new apartment in the city. This is not a big issue, don't worry about it just go to market or furniture showrooms you will definitely find what you want or call your friends. Wish you all the best.
                          Brisbane Builders

Comment

Working...
                          X