Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gemini
    replied
    Frustrated how nearly everything I like is a "girly" drink. It's either a pastel color, or appeared on a sitcom, or has a name like Scarlett O'Hara.

WHY.

Leave a comment:

• aramainep
    replied
    The Golden Ticket

60ml of your favourite bottle of gin
    5ml Laphroaig 1/4 cask
    2 tea spoons Chocolate mole bitters infused breakfast marmalade
    5ml PX float
    Glass: Old Fashioned Garnish: Fancy lemon twist Method: stir down and double strain

Add all the ingredients to a mixing glass, add ice and stir it until the marmalade is dissolved. Then pour over large ice cube in a tumbler. Garnish with a lemon twist.

Leave a comment:

• MartinC
    replied
    I like a Negroni that's 2 parts Tanqueray No. Ten, 1 part Campari, and 1/2 part each of Carpano Antica vermouth and Martini & Rossi.

Leave a comment:

• Wes George
    replied
    Got to be a dry, straight-up gin martini with a lemon twist. Classic.

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    Yup. That looks like a real winner. You have great taste in absinthe, as well!

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied
    Looks delicious as always [MENTION=2555]tdig[/MENTION]. Nice glass as well. Looking forward to hitting up Prohibition Pig in August!

Leave a comment:

• tdig
    replied
    Cause summer time is for cold brew and tiki drinks:

http://imgur.com/a/dgrxH

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    Awesome. Thanks. My mother in law recently visited and really liked the Jack Rudy syrup, so I'm thinking this could be a slick birthday or Christmas gift for her.

Leave a comment:

• tdig
    replied
    Originally posted by Shomas View Post
    Wait...homemade tonic syrup? I'd love to know any details you care to share about that. I've been using Jack Rudy tonic syrup here and there for the last few months and it's been a revelation.
    I make a lot of homemade ingredients and have been really happy with the results but similarly the homemade tonic syrup has been the one that most surprised me at how much of a difference it makes. There are a lot of recipes out there. The hard part is getting your hands on some powdered cinchona bark. Heres at least one place:

http://herbsspicesteas.com/advanced_...NCHONA&x=0&y=0

After that its not all that different from making any other infused syrup except the filtering is a serious bitch. Imbibe and Morganthaler have great recipes. I kind of did a hybrid of the two.

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    Originally posted by tdig View Post
    Thanks! The tonic syrup, orgeat, blood orange liqueur, and any bitters listed are all homemade but can be easily substituted if needed.
    Wait...homemade tonic syrup? I'd love to know any details you care to share about that. I've been using Jack Rudy tonic syrup here and there for the last few months and it's been a revelation.

Leave a comment:

• tdig
    replied
    Originally posted by iCraig View Post
    Seems like a solid menu for a weekend at the beach. I might steal a couple of those recipes from ya!
    Thanks! The tonic syrup, orgeat, blood orange liqueur, and any bitters listed are all homemade but can be easily substituted if needed.

Leave a comment:

• iCraig
    replied
    Originally posted by tdig View Post
    Headed to the beach this weekend with some friends and decided to put together a drink menu:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1O...it?usp=sharing

Seems like a solid menu for a weekend at the beach. I might steal a couple of those recipes from ya!

Leave a comment:

• tdig
    replied
    Headed to the beach this weekend with some friends and decided to put together a drink menu:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1O...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by tdig; May 22, 2014, 02:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    I've noticed that in a couple of online references to the "No Country For Old Men," lemon juice is mentioned, but it is not mentioned in the Barnotes recipe. However, the Barnotes recipe calls for shaking. I've done some digging and I can't find any recipes other than the Barnotes one. Maybe I'll do a little experimenting to see what lemon juice does for this. As I noted, it's not particularly bright, so maybe some citrus will improve it. [MENTION=7735]Sartorialist[/MENTION], did the version you tried contain lemon juice?

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    Originally posted by Shomas View Post
    Yes it does. Damn. That's going on this weekend's agenda...
    I made this (I'm sipping it now, in fact). It's in-goddamn-credible. It's sweet and smoky and chocolaty without being cloying. The spice is pronounced, but not overwhelming (and I wasn't dumb enough to lick the pipette this time).

I made a few substitutions to account for what I had on hand, but nothing that should change the flavor drastically. I used Cocchi Vermouth di Torino rather than the Carpano Antica. I also used half regular old simple syrup and half maple syrup because I'm out of demerara syrup and too lazy to make more. As suggested, I used TDig's XXX bitters in place of the Hellfire shrub. I also used Fee Bros. Aztec Chocolate Bitters in place of the mole bitters in the recipe. I gotta believe any difference these deviations made would be minor. I'd like to try it with pisco, though, which would probably make more of a difference, though how much is an open question since the mezcal and the vermouth really dominate.

This is not a super bright drink, so it's probably better for fall or winter. It'd be a great after dinner cocktail. And it doesn't call for limes, which is convenient since they cost about $40 a piece right now.

Overall, I and my wife are big fans of this drink and I'm now going to have to go out and buy some tequila, which I rarely drink, so I don't tend to keep much on hand.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X