No announcement yet.

Your Favorite Cocktail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For orange bitters I would most highly recommend Regans or Angustora Orange.
    My cocktail videos >

Comment

I'm currently enjoying a grandfather: 1 part bourbon, 1 part applejack (using Lairds apple brandy, actually), and 1 part sweet vermouth. Couple dashes of Angostura and Peychauds bitters, respectively. Stir and garnish with a maraschino cherry.

Not so springy, I admit, but pretty nice nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
        I'm currently enjoying a grandfather: 1 part bourbon, 1 part applejack (using Lairds apple brandy, actually), and 1 part sweet vermouth. Couple dashes of Angostura and Peychauds bitters, respectively. Stir and garnish with a maraschino cherry.

Not so springy, I admit, but pretty nice nonetheless.
        Almost an American Trilogy which is typically 1 part bourbon, 1 part applejack, 1 sugar cube and a dash of orange bitters.
        My cocktail videos >

Comment

Originally posted by tdig View Post
          Almost an American Trilogy which is typically 1 part bourbon, 1 part applejack, 1 sugar cube and a dash of orange bitters.
          ...and now I know what I'm drinking tonight. Thanks!

Comment

I love dirty martinis and pomegranate margaritas!

Comment

My *cocktail* of the evening began with Buffalo Trace bourbon rocks, and quickly took the smooth tangent to Rittenhouse Rye rocks (x3)... Ooooooooh boy! Needlessly noted: feeling pret-t-t-t-ty good right about now. Please forgive any questionable/intolerable posts/replies right about now. Oooooooffff!

Comment

I'm having one of these this afternoon, though I followed an online recipe that recommended brown sugar rather than white. Nice way to drink whiskey for us wimps who aren't normally fans of drinking it straight.
                Ben

Comment

started up a cocktail/spirits tumblr if anyones interested. will try to keep it updated every few days.
                  http://drinkspirits.tumblr.com/
                  My cocktail videos >

Comment

started up a cocktail/spirits tumblr if anyones interested. will try to keep it updated every few days.
                    http://drinkspirits.tumblr.com/
                    It looks awesome. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

Tonight's action is a gin gimlet. 2 parts Plymouth gin, 1 part lime juice, 1 part simple syrup, a dash of maraschino liqueur, a few dashes of strawberry bitters...shake, serve in a cocktail glass...simple and delicious.

Comment

Very interesting. Wouldnt think to pair strawberry with the cherry in that twist on a gimlet. Swap the strawberry for some Green Chartruese and you got yourself a Last Word.
                      My cocktail videos >

Comment

Very interesting. Wouldnt think to pair strawberry with the cherry in that twist on a gimlet. Swap the strawberry for some Green Chartruese and you got yourself a Last Word.
                        The amount of strawberry bitters is such that the flavor is VERY subtle. The addition of some bitterness is much more significant than the addition of actual strawberry flavor. It's way less significant an ingredient than the Chartreuse in a Last Word (which I like to swap out for some absinthe - as you might imagine, that requires some ratio adjustment). The maraschino liqueur is just a way to balance out the sourness of the lime without adding more simple syrup (to avoid making the thing too cloying). I imagine the recipe would work with vodka as well or make a decent daiquiri with some light rum...

Comment

The amount of strawberry bitters is such that the flavor is VERY subtle. The addition of some bitterness is much more significant than the addition of actual strawberry flavor. It's way less significant an ingredient than the Chartreuse in a Last Word (which I like to swap out for some absinthe - as you might imagine, that requires some ratio adjustment). The maraschino liqueur is just a way to balance out the sourness of the lime without adding more simple syrup (to avoid making the thing too cloying). I imagine the recipe would work with vodka as well or make a decent daiquiri with some light rum...
                          I believe that is very close to how a Hemingway Daiquiri is made.
                          My cocktail videos >

Comment

I believe that is very close to how a Hemingway Daiquiri is made.
                            I think you're right. Stands to reason - homeboy knew how to drink.

On another note, do you have any experience making or drinking cocktails involving "shrubs?" They are apparently vinegar-based concoctions that some people add to drinks for acidity and flavor. I read about them here: http://chicagoist.com/2013/04/22/we_...w_i_learne.php . Sounds to me like the sour version of bitters. I'm intrigued...

Comment

I think you're right. Stands to reason - homeboy knew how to drink.

On another note, do you have any experience making or drinking cocktails involving "shrubs?" They are apparently vinegar-based concoctions that some people add to drinks for acidity and flavor. I read about them here: http://chicagoist.com/2013/04/22/we_...w_i_learne.php . Sounds to me like the sour version of bitters. I'm intrigued...
                              Yea I tried a cocktail with shrub once but I wasnt crazy about it and the thing is I LOVE pickled anything. They are definitely growing in popularity though so I'm not going to write them off completely yet. I'm not doing to buy a bottle for home either quite yet.
                              My cocktail videos >

Comment

Today? An Orange Crush.

Requirements:

1. 2 full, delicious, ripe oranges.
                                2. A hand-powered juicer.
                                3. 1 nice highball glass.
                                4. Something with bubbles (club soda, Pellegrino, or sprite preferred)

Pour three fingers of vodka over ice. Juice one and a half oranges; make a big deal of it to impress girl. Add a splash of club soda. Garnish with an orange slice from the other half of the second orange you just smashed.

Comment

Working...
                                X