Your Favorite Cocktail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
    I make something similar with sweet vermouth instead of dry. I'll have to give it a shot with dry.
    And I'll try yours as well!

Comment

Originally posted by robert12 View Post
      Favorite for tonight, an Old Pal: 2 parts rye, 1 Campari, 1 dry vermouth, ice, stirred, strained and garnished with orange peel. Two will suffice.
      Rye? Campari? Two of my faves. That's it. I'm trying that bad-boy tonight. OK, *two* of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
        I've been making a Manhattan lately that is incredible. It's 2 parts rye (bourbon will work, too), 1/2 part sweet vermouth (Punt e Mes or Cocchi Vermouth di Torino is what I use, 'cause they're tasty and why not be a snob about it?), 1/2 part Gran Clasico, few dashes of aromatic bitters. Pour above over ice, stir, strain into cocktail glass(es) and garnish with a Maraschino cherry. Son of a biscuit, that's a good drink. I like it, the wife likes it, if you like Manhattans, you'll probably like it too. I've heard of a bar calling something like this a scarcrow. Do with that information what you will.
        Protip: use real Luxardo maraschino cherries (http://www.amazon.com/Luxardo-Gourme.../dp/B001CDOBCM). They have real flavor (beyond just cloyingly sweet) and they're such a dark red they're almost black, so they look cooler in your drink than those neon grocery store things we're all used to.
        Just made my first one of these. You weren't kidding, man. This is delicious. The spiciness of the rye cutting through puts it over the top for me.

Comment

^ I remember that one when you first talked about it, Shomas. Since then I've been trying my shot at a Red Hook. Ever try one? I love Manhattans, and it's also similar, like, and *to* your Scarecrow (which seems to be the name of a different cocktail, IIRC - but who knows). Actually, I guess the Red Hook is more of a Brooklynish than Manhattanesque. Or something.

http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/2005/11/18/red-hook/

2 ounces rye whiskey
          1/2 ounce Punt e Mes
          1/4 – 1/2 ounce maraschino, to taste
          Stir with ice, strain into chilled cocktail glass.

I still can't find any Punt e mes locally, which the Red Hook calls for, so I have simply been substituting whatever sweet vermouth I have (that is fresh), and adding a dash of bitters to try to enhance the normalcy. I'm using Luxardo Maraschino, which is pretty damn amazing itself. Oh, and I've been going 2/0.5/0.5 on the ratio, with a dash if bitters.

I just fell in love with the name "Red Hook" - as I am an avid H.P.Lovecraft fan - but you may have more personal insight, being the NYer that you are.

Oh, and if I've already discussed this here previously, my bad. It seems like we may have chatted about it, but I can't say for sure, and quite frankly I'm too damn tired to search.
          Last edited by yoyorobbo; March 25, 2013, 11:25 PM.

Comment

It's news to me. Looks good! I've got all of the ingredients on hand but I'll have to be responsible and wait a few days. I'm definitely eager, though!

Red Hook is a neighborhood in Brooklyn. Waterfront, kind of cut off from the rest of the city due to geography and relative lack of public transportation. Way back it was populated by dock workers, then it became pretty rough and ghetto-ish when the cargo moved elsewhere and eventually crack moved in. In the last several years it's seen a resurgence/gentrification as people looking for relatively inexpensive property have moved in and started doing arty and hip stuff like brewing beer, keeping bees, etc. Sandy hit it hard, but it's a pretty cool neighborhood in a lot of respects. I'm happy to raise a glass of it's namesake and drink to its health!

Comment

Yoyorobbo, it's funny you mention Manhattan variants named after Brooklyn neighborhoods. I was in a local liquor store yesterday that was hosting a tasting of Amaro Montenegro. It was pretty good and the price was decent so I picked up a bottle. I went home and did a bit of googling to figure out what to do with it and I found a recipe for a Cobble Hill, another local 'hood.

It's 2 parts rye, 1/2 part dry vermouth, 1/2 part Amaro Montenegro and a couple slices of cucumber. Pour it all into a glass with rocks, stir and strain into cocktail glasses. Garnish with a twist of lemon. I added the cucumber slices as well.

Pretty good. Kind of a lighter, more summery take on a Manhattan. Again, my wife liked it, so that's a solid victory right there.

Comment

New place that opened up in DC uses a combo of rye, dry vermouth and byrrh grand quinquina.

http://www.drinkupny.com/Byrrh_Grand...na_p/w0718.htm
                My cocktail videos >

Comment

Interesting. I've used Byrrh Grand Quinquina as a substitute for sweet vermouth in Manhattans (it lightens things up considerably), but not in conjunction with rye and dry vermouth. I'll have to put that on my list of things to try.

Comment

Made a cocktail last night that was particularly awesome and thought I'd share. Calling it the Botanic Gold Rush.

2 oz Old Grand Dad Bottle in Bond Bourbon
                    3/4 oz Wild Sage Honey
                    1/2 oz Fresh lemon juice
                    3-4 dashes Homemade Citrus Lavender Bitters

Shake 15-20 seconds. Strain into chilled rocks glass with a single large cube and garnish with a sage leaf.
                    My cocktail videos >

Comment

I've been tinkering with a twist on an Old Fashioned. I won't claim originality, since it's a simple drink and I'm guessing most variations have been done by someone, but I had the goals of 1) no sugar and 2) easy to make / ingredients that don't go bad.

(I'm lazy and watching my weight)

3 oz Rittenhouse Rye
                      5 drops of Stevia
                      3 shakes of Fee Brothers West Indies Orange Bitters (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A1SLZ9G/)

Pour over ice, stir, and strain into a glass with a Luxardo cherry.

If you like the occasional Old Fashioned, but rarely have oranges on hand and aren't big on glucose, I recommend you give it a try.

Comment

A Moscow Mule with Rye instead of vodka is very good.

Comment

If you aren't using cubed sugar then no real reason to strain this version into a new glass. Just build it in your serving glass. (you said you were lazy )
                          My cocktail videos >

Comment

Originally posted by tdig View Post
                            If you aren't using cubed sugar then no real reason to strain this version into a new glass. Just build it in your serving glass. (you said you were lazy )
                            Was that a reply to me? I strain out the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAD91 View Post
                              I've been tinkering with a twist on an Old Fashioned. I won't claim originality, since it's a simple drink and I'm guessing most variations have been done by someone, but I had the goals of 1) no sugar and 2) easy to make / ingredients that don't go bad.

(I'm lazy and watching my weight)

3 oz Rittenhouse Rye
                              5 drops of Stevia
                              3 shakes of Fee Brothers West Indies Orange Bitters (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A1SLZ9G/)

Pour over ice, stir, and strain into a glass with a Luxardo cherry.

If you like the occasional Old Fashioned, but rarely have oranges on hand and aren't big on glucose, I recommend you give it a try.
                              Nice, Mike! I too have tried a take on the no-sugar Old Fashioned (Whiskey Sour, as well). I used Truvia (a sorta granular Stevia leaf sweetener) in place of sugar or simple syrup. It wasn't perfect, by any means, but it did the job, especially if you are used to using such a sweetener in normal practice.

Good idea on the orange bitters. I have some, but they're the cheap-O Collins plastic squeeze bottle, and actually don't seem to be very good. I need to get me some more proper bitters, besides just the normal Angustura aromatic ones. Fee Bros is good? What about any other orange bitters? Anyone else have any favorites?

Off to the liquor store... "we haven't -- a moment -- to lose!!!"

Comment

The Stevia is nice because it is a liquid with a dropper in the lid... Just very simple for coffee, tea or cocktails. I think Truvia is more common for baking, right? I wonder if you could make a simple syrup out of Truvia...

Fee Brothers stuff seems pretty good to me, but I'm not an expert. With the West Indian Orange, you can really smell the orange. So far, I'm really enjoying it. I also have their Old Fashioned Bitters, and I honestly can't find a cocktail I prefer it over Angostura. The taste isn't bad, just different, and I can't find a good use for it. If you're looking for one, I'd definitely recommend the orange I linked to before (I think they have a couple).

Comment

Working...
                                X